Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2017, 03:20 PM   #1

Seeking opinions from northern states 986 owners

I'm seeking opinions from 986 owners who regularly drive in the snow. Ok so I'm no stranger to driving in the snow- I've lived in Massachusetts 51 years and I've owned about a dozen cars of various types. I bought a 99 Boxster this summer for my new daily driver because I walk to work so why not. I did see references here about the 986 snow handling, but didn't think much of it because I thought many people commenting could be in warmer areas where snow is not common and everything shuts down if there's an inch on the ground. A couple weeks ago, we had our first major snow and I decided to take a quick drive to the convenience store in the middle of the storm. There's barely a hill between my house and the store and what there is is only a few degrees incline/decline. I was shocked at how badly my car performed, to the point of being scared. Almost zero traction. I went one mile then turned around and went home. The treads on my tires are good but I don't know if they're all seasons or not. So now I've got a couple choices. Take a gamble, spending the money on 4 new all season tires and see if it makes a difference so I can keep the car. Or if everyone says the car is that bad in the snow, then I save the cash I would have spent on tires and just sell the car now.

Mauiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #2

If you're really going to drive your Boxster in the snow, I would recommend getting 4 snow tires on dedicated wheels in the reasonably smallest 16 inch or 17 inch wheels that you can. I live in New Jersey, only have summer tires and don't drive it in the snow. But I have had to take the Boxster out a few times after it has snowed and the main roads are clear, but there is still some packed snow on the short street we live on. It can be pretty scary even taking it very easy!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
If you put 4 snow tires on it, it will handle fine in the snow. I had a set of snow tires put on 17' wheels, and drove it during a snow storm...it drove fine, but I ended up selling the set because I barely used it during the winter, as most days, it's not snowing. You could probably get by light snow on all seasons if you are careful, but not ideal.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:24 PM   #4

Seeking opinions from northern states 986 owners

Good advice. I would just add to use narrow tires squared. 225/45/17 or equivalent for different diameters
will work all around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #5

When I bought my car it came with a extra set of 16x7 wheels with Blizzaks on them although I don't believe they were ever used since the date on them was from 8 years ago and they still had the knobbies on them. That looked like a good size and inexpensive choice for a base model (won't fit over S brakes) Craigslist has many snow tires that would fit that for cheap.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #6

Garage
I think its a terrible shame to expose a Boxster to snow and ice. What would have been a small fender bender in another car will cause the insurance company to total the carI . Even with snow tires it is a handful. Light weight, low moment of inertia and a relatively powerful engine is a recipe for skidding and spinning out.

I live in Stow, MA, and my Boxster S is staying in the garage until spring.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:16 PM   #7

I drive Porsches in winter. The key is to have SNOW tires on dedicated set of wheels. You also have to drive in snow < 4" for clearance Clarence reasons.

My various Porsche winter cars have included:
01 Boxster S
08 Boxster Limited Edition
07 Cayman S
08 Cayman S Sport

They have lots of rust protection on them. Keep them clean and you'll be OK.

When someone asks if I drive my cars in the winter, I respond in my best German accent, "dey have snow in da Fatherland".
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #8

Yeah, seriously, a HINT of frost on the ground and my summer tires were spinning on a normal start from stop. If it's anywhere near freezing, summer tires are rock hard and provide zero traction.
Mid engine, rear wheel - should be excellent in the winter with the right tires.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:31 AM   #9

4 Blizzaks and a hardtop.Rock and Roll.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:36 AM   #10

I've driven my 2000S once (got caught out in very early October snow storm) on all-season tires and it was slip 'n slide at every stop sign / light. It goes into hibernation at the end of October. My winter car until this year has been an Acura CL-S on snow tires. When I first got that car I drove on all-seasons and had a couple scary incidents so I bought the snows and couldn't believe the difference; almost like driving on dry pavement. I don't have first hand experience of driving on snow on winter tires in the Bosxter but if it's anything like my CL experience, you'll be fine. I just realized that the hibernation season is over 50% over and can't wait!
Larry (The Bald Eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:44 AM   #11

I put Conti DWS06 on mine based on Tire Rack's suggestion. It really hasn't snowed enough this year to tell. Also ask yourself how much driving in actual snow you do. Roads here are cleared very fast.
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #12

I owned a '99 as my first Boxster. I made the mistake of not having at least all-seasons tires on the car even though the tread depth was fine. It didn't stop when I wanted it to. Totaled.

Tread compounds are as important as tread design. And wider tires are less good than narrower ones.

Grab a set of 16" Boxster wheels and put some legitimate snow tires on. Cheaper than trading a car in for something else.

I drove my second Boxster frequently in the snow.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #13

I agree on corrosion protection built into the Boxsters and the benefits of snow tires. A long time ago Car and Driver did a comparison of various front, rear and all wheel drive cars on snow with and without snow tires. The overriding conclusion was that snow tires made for the best driving on snow regardless of drivetrain, and that any car with snow tires was better than any other car without snow tires.

One problem you can't avoid even with snow tires are the people in cars that shouldn't be allowed on the road who might hit you, and those in SUV's and luxury AWD cars without snow tires or a clue that all their AWD gives them is better traction, no better steering or braking!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
I owned a '99 as my first Boxster. I made the mistake of not having at least all-seasons tires on the car even though the tread depth was fine. It didn't stop when I wanted it to. Totaled.

Tread compounds are as important as tread design. And wider tires are less good than narrower ones.

Grab a set of 16" Boxster wheels and put some legitimate snow tires on. Cheaper than trading a car in for something else.

I drove my second Boxster frequently in the snow.
Yes, it's not so much the snow, but the cold. Summer, or even all season tires get very hard in the cold and will not flex as much, thereby not allowing the tires to grip the road. Winter tires are much softer/pliable in cold weather and provide much more grip on snow or ice.