View Single Post
Old 01-21-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
Mauiguy

Seeking opinions from northern states 986 owners

I'm seeking opinions from 986 owners who regularly drive in the snow. Ok so I'm no stranger to driving in the snow- I've lived in Massachusetts 51 years and I've owned about a dozen cars of various types. I bought a 99 Boxster this summer for my new daily driver because I walk to work so why not. I did see references here about the 986 snow handling, but didn't think much of it because I thought many people commenting could be in warmer areas where snow is not common and everything shuts down if there's an inch on the ground. A couple weeks ago, we had our first major snow and I decided to take a quick drive to the convenience store in the middle of the storm. There's barely a hill between my house and the store and what there is is only a few degrees incline/decline. I was shocked at how badly my car performed, to the point of being scared. Almost zero traction. I went one mile then turned around and went home. The treads on my tires are good but I don't know if they're all seasons or not. So now I've got a couple choices. Take a gamble, spending the money on 4 new all season tires and see if it makes a difference so I can keep the car. Or if everyone says the car is that bad in the snow, then I save the cash I would have spent on tires and just sell the car now.
Mauiguy is offline   Reply With Quote