Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2017, 04:45 AM   #1
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Can this really happen?...Belt snap, and then dead engine?...

Guy lost his Boxster's serpentine belt on way to shop for A/C work, and then engine is gone? I mean I guess if he kept driving, but really?...I thought the video was gonna feature another famous IMS issue, but no. Feel like maybe the shop steered him wrong?

https://youtu.be/HraAyX4PR9w

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:59 AM   #2
Project Addicted

No belt, no water pump = overheated = seized engine.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:04 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
No belt, no water pump = overheated = seized engine.
Hmmm, but I've had broken water pumps before...just stop driving and call a tow. Guess this guy kept driving.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:11 AM   #4

Garage
I had my belt snap. I stopped driving the car and towed it, new belt and engine ran fine.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:55 AM   #5
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Appreciate that the owner is no mechanic but the text overlay at the beginning says engine burned out. I read that as overheated and damaged beyond economical repair.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
Guy lost his Boxster's serpentine belt on way to shop for A/C work, and then engine is gone? I mean I guess if he kept driving, but really?...I thought the video was gonna feature another famous IMS issue, but no. Feel like maybe the shop steered him wrong?

https://youtu.be/HraAyX4PR9w
On modern all alloy engines, snapped serpentine belts have probably claimed more engines than any other issue such as the IMS issue in the M96/97. Completely avoidable, but also very common.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:35 AM   #7
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
On modern all alloy engines, snapped serpentine belts have probably claimed more engines than any other issue such as the IMS issue in the M96/97. Completely avoidable, but also very common.
Don't you get a warning by way of engine/coolant indicator light on the dash when temps get too high? Why would anyone not just stop and pull over instead of keep driving?

Old 01-14-2017, 07:53 AM   #8
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Don't you get a warning by way of engine/coolant indicator light on the dash when temps get too high?
Sure, that and the temperature gauge needle would peg full hot.
He'd have had to look at the gauges periodically and know what it meant...

Damn shame, such a nice looking low mile car being relegated to roller status.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:49 AM   #9

I see a tow hook in the video, guy drove it till it burned up and then towed it, idiot.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:50 PM   #10
Project Addicted

Quote:
Don't you get a warning by way of engine/coolant indicator light on the dash when temps get too high? Why would anyone not just stop and pull over instead of keep driving?
Most folks don't really understand what they are being told by the gauges. The engine is in a no air flow place and the cooling system is quite complex. Once the pump stopped pumping, it wasn't long before something bad happened. He could have just been trying to get it off the highway to a safe place and once he shut it down, that was all she wrote.

A sad ending for sure.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
Old 01-15-2017, 07:17 AM   #11

Had it happened in north east or mid-west this past week he might've had a slim shot when he kept driving w/ such cool ambient temps... In Miami Beach though his odds were low, very low...

Such a same and so easily preventable had he once glanced at the guages

Old 01-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #12

What is an appropriate maintenance interval for the belt: time / kilometres?

I believe mine is already five years old

As I recall there there is a bright red light on the temp gauge .....not sure if if it gives adequate warning of overheating. I would think it comes on you are already in deep trouble
Old 01-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post

As I recall there there is a bright red light on the temp gauge .....not sure if if it gives adequate warning of overheating. I would think it comes on you are already in deep trouble
As cheap as the belt is I would just replace it if you are even thinking about it. You can just look at it and see if there is any cracking and stretch.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:36 AM   #14
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post

Every 60k miles for polyrib belt. I changed it at 50k for peace of mind and then kept the old one as a spare in the front trunk in case I break down on a Sunday when no parts dept are open and I'm left without a belt.

Change procedure:
60k Mile Scheduled Maintenance (60k, 120k, 180k, 240k, 300k, 360k)

Old 01-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdz View Post
As cheap as the belt is I would just replace it if you are even thinking about it. You can just look at it and see if there is any cracking and stretch.
Quote:
Every 60k miles for polyrib belt. I changed it at 50k for peace of mind and then kept the old one as a spare in the front trunk in case I break down on a Sunday when no parts dept are open and I'm left without a belt.

Change procedure:
60k Mile Scheduled Maintenance (60k, 120k, 180k, 240k, 300k, 360k)
Will do....good suggestions! All should have a spare...
Old 01-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #16
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

I bought....

.....my 986 in 2015.

Even though she was a 2004 with only 25,000 miles on her, I changed the serpentine belt AND all the idler pulleys upon purchase.

My technician advised me that it was probably overkill to do this, but followed my instructions and did it for me.

Afterward, he told me that it was probably a good move, because one of the idler pulleys was a bit crunchy.

I've seen an example on the forums, FWIW, of an idler pulley that seized and the serpentine belt rubbing created enough friction heat to ignite the belt, which then burned the car down.

Belts are cheap, cars are expensive.

I'd change the darn thing every 50,000 miles no matter what.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #17
Project Addicted

A spare won't help if you aren't mindful of the gauges and what's going on. A read thru the owners manual will tell you what flashing lights mean. This belt failure also killed the generation of 12 volts and the AC which would have also shown some red lights on the dash.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
Old 01-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #18

Vaguely relevant,but legend has it that with a BMW inline 6 if a water pump fails on highway, you've only seconds to stop the motor before you have a warped cylinder head. In any event, moral of story is stop motor asap--yes it's inconvenient but wishful thinking doesn't help.

And, your first dashboard indication of belt failure is going to be the alternator charging light--it likely means something more serious than some charging system problem. That, in fact, is a pretty silly conclusion.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles

Last edited by lkchris; 01-16-2017 at 05:32 PM.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:41 PM   #19
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I've had a BMW with an inline 6 leave me stranded with a failed water pump. I turned off the car (but can't remember how long I waited before shut down). Car was fine though. The warning lights should be enough warning to make you turn off the engine. Not sure why people keep on driving.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:05 AM   #20

Garage
Reminds me of my oldest daughter's first car, a Buick.

She and her boyfriend we driving up to our Maine farm on the Maine turnpike when the oil pressure lamp went on, she kept driving. Car started smoking, she kept driving. Car started making bad noises, she kept driving. A loud bang and the engine stopped, and she was able to coast into a rest area.

She called me and we drove out to see how bad it was. Had to make an illegal U turn on the pike to avoid a lengthy drive to the next exit. Discovered that AAA had already sent a tow truck to pick up the car and he had made an illegal U turn to the opposite rest area. Made another U turn and climbed up on the tow truck and popped the hood. Saw light through the engine block. Picked up the kids and made yet another U turn. Had the car towed home and replaced the engine. You can't destroy an engine more thoroughly than she had done.

The joys of parenthood!

2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote