Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2017, 07:19 AM   #1

Researching Wheel Spacers

I saw a 986 with wheel spacers and, call me vain, but I loved the look. The wheels on the 986 just don't fill out the wheel well properly, in my opinion, so I want to bump them out a bit. Nothing extreme: I'm thinking 7mm front and 15mm rear. This is for appearance only...not for tire or caliper fitment. I am on 17" Cup 3 wheels. Most of my driving is spirited weekend stuff, with maybe one autocross or DE day annually.

I've done a forum search here and elsewhere, and have duly noted Fred's very informative discussion on Woody's Build Thread. I've limited my search to hubcentric spacers. All of the following claim to be 6061 T6 billet aluminum.

Here's what I've found--I've totaled the cost for 2x front (7mm), 2x rear (15mm), and longer lugs:

Adaptec: $225 Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings, and much more! | Motorsport Tech
ECS: $255* www.ecstuning.com
H&R: $270-300 Pelican, ECS, trakplus.com
Eibach: $385 Summit Racing, eibach.com

*Only available in black anodized with black lugs. Not sure how that would look on silver wheels.

Elephant makes hub centric spacers, but they kind of leave you on your own for lugs. Using H&R lugs with Elephant spacers totaled out to around $330, well over the price for the total H&R package, which didn't make much sense to me.

Clearly, Adaptec has a lock on the price, but want to hear what you guys think before I commit. Thanks!

Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #2

You could also convert to studs at the same time to make mounting wheels and spacers easier, and not have to worry about lug length.

I had ECS spacers on my Audi and they looked and felt like a quality product.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #3

I will probably be told all about being unsafe etc.....but I've used Ebay spacers for years on all sorts of cars. WAY less expensive and never give me any problems. Usually a 12mm or larger has the hub ring machined into it so no wheel issues. Just a more budget minded thought.
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
Maybe I am wrong, but since a spacer is just that, its not structural, does it really make that much different who makes it.
Yes, I could see if it was out of balance that it might cause a problem, but other than that, why pay more $$ than you have to
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #5

I had a pair of ebay ones on my previous car with no issues and just bought these for the box.

HUB CENTRIC WHEEL SPACERS ADAPTERS ¦ 5X130 ¦ 71.5 CB ¦ 14X1.5 STUDS ¦ 7mm AUDI | eBay

I figured a piece of aluminum is a piece of aluminum. I did, however, buy quality extended bolts (H&R). I feel comfortable buying cheap spacers, but not cheap bolts.
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #6

I'm hoping the spacer experts will weigh in here, but until they do, my understanding is that the spacer material is vitally important. If the aluminum is not the proper hardness, or if the spacer itself is dimensionally out of tolerance, then the spacer can deform and lead to problems, from having to constantly check and re-torque your lugs, to complete loss of a wheel.

I know from my days in the world of aviation that all aluminum is not created equally. I would imagine that if you place a hunk of metal between the wheel and hub, it had better be tough stuff.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #7

check tarett - they sell quality products and are advertising lightest spacers on the market.

otherwise, how attached are you to your wheels? perhaps consider wheels w a more aggressive offset. tire rack sell 18" oz's in 53 front/40 back that are very light, relatively inexpensive, and look good. even w the 53 front, i am running 7 mm spacers (with lug bolts and nuts).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
I can understand where you are coming from, but how is a solid piece of say 6061 T6 aluminum deform under a wheel bolted on at 96 ftlbs?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #9

Jay, fair question.
Here's what Fred had to say (Woody's Build Thread):

" Correct. My 2cents RE spacers:

I actually make those “custom” for teams and other track cars here (not only Porsche) and have a little business going on in JP also. We get orders in the 13mm spacers as much as we get them in the 18mm and do custom adapters also. For info the Porsche wheel hub assembly tolerance is /-0.05mm (concentricity and parallelism, from factory of course). I know… hard to believe. Go ask them they’ll confirm that with pride (it’s a Porsche you have Sir!).

So when your friend Markus tells you, no paint, no dirt, get rid of the rust, etc… he is NOT joking. If they are not installed ‘permanently’ flat then both the wheel and your safety will soon be compromised. Although I don’t see Woody’s silicon being the main culprit in his little adventure. I mean look at the spacer; no hub support (floating?!), open PCD, and possibly the wrong alloy, silicon or not my guess is they would eventually have brought in trouble (Asia rocks for other things, not Porsche spacers!).

So when you’ll be out to score wheel spacers, buy them from those who knows what they are doing lolll H&R in Germany for instance, they are two others that I know who also machine theirs within TOL and uses the correct 7075 alloy mix. No comments for the rest of the manufacturers… we’ve actually seen quite a few actually. Illegal s h i t e I tell ya lollll

RE materials; we have to import ours from Austria here as the local 7075’hardness is literally near the same as the 6061 grades anodized/heat treated or not. No Go for “performance” spacers. The local stuff simply deforms & compresses. Use local grades alloy and you’ll have to re-torque your wheels every bloody weeks simple as that.

So… you see. Nothing is simple :/ You’d think a spacer is just a silly dumb plate and bahh it’ll work man. Possibly just fine for cruising down the neighborhood, going to buy some milk at the store etc (I actually agree) but the reality is its not always like that, one day you’ll need to maneuver that Porsche car and its at that moment that you and your passenger will appreciate your properly engineered and machined spacers.

Keep away from Asian spacers (please, folks)."

-Kevin

Last edited by Need_for_speed; 01-13-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #10

I like my ecs spacers but will be switching to studs when I can
Old 01-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #11

Garage
I have had no issues with my spacers from Wheel Dynamics.

Accessories - Wheel Dynamics
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:41 PM   #12

I have 15mm front and 20mm rear spacers, sit dead square with the arch.

My fronts and H&R and the rear are ebay, both are bolt through type and i have zero issues. I did have issues with the bolt-on type that I had on the back for a while so i'll never use them again.

Tbh i wish Porsche would order their wheels in a proper offset, that would be far better.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I can understand where you are coming from, but how is a solid piece of say 6061 T6 aluminum deform under a wheel bolted on at 96 ftlbs?
The thing is its not 6061 (you'd hope). They are using the widely available (overstocks and cheap) AL6063 for them. Filled with impurity, it barely anodize and so soft and gummy you can write your name on them with a tree branch.

1KG of 6063 = US$1.3

7075 is not available locally. Well, it is 'by name' but the hardness/rockwell is roughly the same as 6061 (as known). Needs import - ask me how I know :/
Old 01-16-2017, 08:02 AM   #14

The Tarett spacers look very interesting. Also had a lot of fun looking at the wheels (and wheel babes!!) at the Wheel Dynamics site. Right now I'm leaning towards H&R, but love the Adaptec price. Would appreciate hearing from anyone using the Adaptec spacers before I make a decision. Thanks!

Kevin
Old 02-13-2017, 06:10 AM   #15

interesting conversation!

what did you end up buying?
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #16

Garage
That's exactly my setup : 7mm in front and 15 mm in back on 17" stock wheels. Changes the whole look of the car.

Honestly, I wish I would've gone a little more aggressive.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
interesting conversation!

what did you end up buying?
Nothing yet! Radium King had a great point. I'm gradually working my box up to something I can use for regular track day type activity, so I've determined I should really have a dedicated set of wheels and tires for track work. It seems as though it's a lot easier to find well-made, lightweight wheels in the 18" size range, so I'm holding off on the spacers until I get squared away on wheels to avoid any fitment issues.