Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2016, 02:41 PM   #1

Lift & Jacks or Ramp for Oil Changes???

Hi.

I'm curious what you guys use to complete your oils changes. Do you use a lift and jacks to raise and support the rear wheels or do you use a vehicle ramp like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0117EETEK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I would assume the ramps are quicker and easier to use, but my concern is the front end of the car; is there enough clearance to get the rear wheels up on the ramp without scraping the front bumper.

Anyway, what are you all using, a lift and jacks or ramps? And for all you guys who have those super fancy lifts that raise the entire car up and make me super jealous and envious, please don't tell me how much you love your fancy cool lift. I'm well aware of how cool they are. I'd really like to hear from the guys with simple tools!!

Thanks all.

BoomerRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:06 PM   #2

Here are several non lift videos.

Ramps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0m-hDzvfns

Jack one side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD6o28_HeLk

Jack both sides:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9HGPGUNYHw

Neil of Road & Race:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1crjE8HDCI
fanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:08 PM   #3

Garage
Just did my oil
I use ramps on back
But when oil stops draining I jack up the front to get more oil out. Probably gets out an additional 1/2 qrt
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #4

Thank you for those videos. I love the first one. But which method do you prefer?

I did notice that in one of those videos about jacking up the front.

So great I can see the answer is BOTH!!!

Last edited by BoomerRoadie; 12-30-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:23 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I just use a jack to raise the rear drivers side an extra inch or two so the oil pan will fit under. The drain plug and filter can easily be reached without getting under the car.
No need to get crazy with it.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:52 PM   #6

You want to get as much of the old oil out that you can, and to do so you need the cat to be level. What I do is to use one floor jack to raise the whole rear end up and slip 2 jackstands under the rear. Take the plug out and filter off then remove the jackstands and lower the car over the oil catch pan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
mmassey0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:13 PM   #7

This is great stuff. Keep it coming!!
Old 12-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
Just did my oil
I use ramps on back
But when oil stops draining I jack up the front to get more oil out. Probably gets out an additional 1/2 qrt
+1 and I also jack up the front a little to get as much oil out.
While oil is draining I use that time to detail the car.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:01 PM   #9

My kingdom for a pan

I just want a pan that will catch all that oil and not run over in the floor....I am on my second one now.

this is what I am currently using http://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-drain-pan/flotool-16-qt-drain-container/700706_0_0?checkfit=true]
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I just want a pan that will catch all that oil and not run over in the floor....I am on my second one now.

this is what I am currently using ]FloTool 16 qt. drain container 42003MI - Read Reviews on FloTool #42003MI
Then try the OTC 1577, expensive but the best low profile catch pan on wheels we have ever used. http://https://www.amazon.com/OTC-Gallon-Automotive-Transfer-Tank/dp/B0021UOMC4
Old 12-31-2016, 06:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I went to Menards and bought a pan that's used for hand mixing concrete. It's 26"x20"x6". The old oil fills about 1/3 of the pan. I then transfer the oil from the pan to a 2 gal plastic gas can. Makes it easy for recycling.

OP - I built a set of ramps from 2x12s. Need 4 layers. Be sure the top level is 10". Have to back onto them like in the first vid from fanguy.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 12-31-2016 at 06:55 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:32 AM   #12
still plays with cars...

Garage
Boomer,
For oil changes, I'm another ramp guy...

My driveway slopes just enough that when I back the Boxster onto my Rhino ramps, the car sits level.

I also have a set of home brew stands I made from 2x lumber stacked and screwed together that I use when I need the whole car up in the air. I get the bottom of the car 18" off the ground with them.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:14 AM   #13

I use my scissor lift one of the best tools I have ever purchased .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:47 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
I use my scissor lift one of the best tools I have ever purchased .
I love my scissor lift.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:14 PM   #15

I was lazy and simply took oil, filter, crush ring and a clean drain plug to the local quick change oil place and let them do it for about $20. The filter is easy to access, not unique to the Porsche brand and I monitored the whole process. They regularly did about a dozen P-cars.

At my previous house, I used a combination of a sloped driveway and ramps. That way I could get under there and look as I wanted to see if there were any indications of a leak in addition to changing the oil and filter.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
I was lazy and simply took oil, filter, crush ring and a clean drain plug to the local quick change oil place and let them do it for about $20. The filter is easy to access, not unique to the Porsche brand and I monitored the whole process. They regularly did about a dozen P-cars.

At my previous house, I used a combination of a sloped driveway and ramps. That way I could get under there and look as I wanted to see if there were any indications of a leak in addition to changing the oil and filter.
the only thing i don't like about this is that the shop over torquing and oil changes give me a chance to look under the car for leaks/cv boots etc
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:37 PM   #17

Great stuff!

My driveway is gravel, so all my work will be in the level garage. In there I plan to use the ramps and try out the front jack trick to get a little extra oil out.

Thanks everyone! !

Happy New Year!!!!