Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2006, 08:12 AM   #1

When I apply the brakes, I hear a clicking noise

anyone know what could be the cause?

I changed the brake pads, and after I did this, it started.
So it's something I did.

The only thing I can think of is that I used anti-seize gel on the locking pin and brake pad backing. The squeeling is gone, but now it clicks.

It clicks going one way, meaning if I go forward, the initial application of brakes will cause the click, then from then on it won't click, unless I go in reverse and apply the brakes, then I get a click, then a click when I go forward again, but the click doesn't happen everytime I apply the brakes(going in one direction).

Any insight?

thanks!

BobMarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #2

Anti-Sieze gel on the Pad????? I used specific anit-squeel gel on the back of the pads and use the Anit-sieze past on the retaining pin and cotter pin......not the back of the pad.....maybe that's it???????

KRZ

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRZTACO
Anti-Sieze gel on the Pad????? I used specific anit-squeel gel on the back of the pads and use the Anit-sieze past on the retaining pin and cotter pin......not the back of the pad.....maybe that's it???????

KRZ
exactly what he/she said! u are only supposd to put specific lube for brakes on the back of the pads. probably what's happening is your shims rattling slightly. No biggie just a little noise.
specivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #4

Hi BobMarley1,
I have the exact same issue as you. I changed my brake pads/rotors recently and the noise started soon after. I forgot to add the anti squeal brake gel but I don't think that is the reason. The noise is more "clunky" than a squeal and only happens the first time I break at low speeds...almost like a heavy click when I brake the first time in each direction (forward and reverse). Completely baffled by it! Any help would be greatly apprecaited.
gsawhney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Registered Boxster abuser

so basically it is a single click when you change directions, then no clicks after that.

On some replacement brake pads the shim goes over the front and back edge of the pad. with out this shim taking up the space, the brake pad will shift forward and back depending on direction. There are also some replacement pads that are not that great of a fit. Very irritating.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:59 PM   #6

*bump*

same issue here. installed aftermarket pads and have the exact same symptoms.. taken wheels off about 5 times now trying to diagnose and cant'... irritating.. brakes feel fine though.

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote