Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 04:47 AM   #1

New owner 97 Boxster - window lift problem

Hi everyone. I really never thought I would own a Porsche although always liked them, however back in ~1975 (high school) I had a 68 Dodge Charger RT and nearly traded for a friend for his old 356. I wish I had either one of those now. Have always liked German cars - did some SCCA racing in Rabbits and Scirocco many years ago. Had a couple Audis and currently a BMW 540, also a 78 Triumph Spitfire project. Anyway, wife mentions in July that she misses having a convertible to drive in the Black Hills, so I mention this 97 Boxster is on craigslist for quite awhile. We end up buying it. We have a couple good indy shops in Rapid City - nearest dealer is Ft. Collins CO. I insisted on a prebuy which included taking off the oil filter and cutting it open to look for metal. This is very common for small aircraft - always cut the filter. I don't know why it is not done for cars. Anyway the car came up pretty clean other than needing a new starter and other fairly minor things. I replaced the starter after looking at the tutorial here. Not bad at all. Very impressed with the car. Drives really nice - kind of like my BMW 540 for that tight feel. Brakes are amazing. Got a box of needed parts, factory jack etc, from "Woody" - found here also - excellent!

The other day both windows quit going up. They both go down but not up. This happened before but then they started working again. Any ideas?

P.S. We had many nice drives in the Black Hills this summer. Even got talked into entering a car show!

Thanks in advance.
Brian

BrianStam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:48 AM   #2

At the car show in Custer, SD - summer 2016 Things I like about this car, German quality, affordable, styling (about 100x nicer to look at than a Z3 and 500x nicer than Miata in my opinion)

Last edited by BrianStam; 12-02-2016 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:00 AM   #3

Garage
Any time there are intermittent electrical problems two things come up in my mind: mice and moisture!

Anker
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:27 AM   #4
Project Addicted

There's a micro switch in the convertible top latch that may be acting up with the top UP. Try working the latch a few times or open it and stick your finger in there to see if when you push the switch the windows work normally.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:48 AM   #5

Ditto to what jcslocum wrote. If the windows only go down and not up, the microswitch inside the top hook hole near your rear view mirror is going out. It's not a complicated repair and the switch isn't terribly expensive.

I too own a 97 and have replaced many many things on the car since I purchased it in 2004, this being one of them. In my case, I would have the top up and I'd hit a bump and the windows would lower on their own like the car was possessed and I could not raise them back up until I shoved a finger up there (using my left hand) and fiddled with the microswitch and attempted to raise the windows with my right hand.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #6

I think all Boxster owners have to do this at some point. Stick your finger in the hole where the top latches in the center while hitting up on the window button to make them go up till you get the micro switch replaced.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
There's a micro switch in the convertible top latch that may be acting up with the top UP. Try working the latch a few times or open it and stick your finger in there to see if when you push the switch the windows work normally.
That was it thanks!

Brian
Old 12-04-2016, 08:17 AM   #8
Project Addicted

A good result!!!!

1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote