Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2006, 03:27 PM   #1

Need your guys' advice on what to buy.

Hey all, I posted here a few weeks ago and I am now going to take the plunge. Sorry for this long post but I'm serious. One important feature, I want a tip. Just living in the city, stop and go on the expressways, and a woman who can't drive stick warrants this decision.

A little bit about me:
30, no kids, live in the city of Chicago, have a uncovered parking space behind my building, so no parking on the street thank god. Don't want a super nice Boxster (yet) because of this. Looking to spend around $25,000 for now. Will be getting an excellent warranty through my credit union, around $1200 for 4 additional years or to 60k miles, no deductable and I never see a repair bill. This is not really going to be a daily driver, as I have a take home work car and the woman has a Hyundai Sonata (awesome, I know). The only driving is really to gym, store, night out, to the crack dealer (Portillo's for you Chicago folks), etc. That's about it.

Option 1: $26,995, 2003 Boxster S, 46000 miles, black on black, tip, premium sound, cruise.
Test Drive: fast and fun, but a small cig burn on pass. seat, steering wheel squeaks a little when turning (WD-40?) and the plastic center console scratched up (do they make a cover?). I could give it some TLC.

Option 2: $24,995, 2003 Boxster, 45700 miles, Gray on Gray (not my fav interior), tip, premium sound, xenons, heated seats, travel computer, cruise.
Test Drive: pretty fast shifting with tip, interior in a little better shape, except for a small burn on passenger seat. Only problem, I couldn't get the xenons to turn on, and the sleazeman, errr salesman was busy selling an 07 Escalade with 22's to a 16yo and I didn't ask about it.

Option 3: $30,000(maybe, thats what the salesman said when I asked), 2003 Boxster, 32,000 miles, gray on black, tip, looked to be premium sound, cruise, PSM, carbon fiber shifter, brake handle and door entries. Interior excellent. One problem, the head and tailights are amber? I asked the salesman and he gave me a "uhh, they changed the lights halfway through this year." And they were not even smooth, but rough and looked like they had been burned or something. Didn't test drive it because I want the new head/taillights, but I like the colors.

That's pretty much it in the Chitown area. If any of you guys have a line on an '03 with tip, let me know and thanks for reading.

shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Travis
I would not focus just on local dealers myself, shipment is not that costly and if you have a PPI done . . . . well you already know how they drive.

Those choices all seem to have higher than usual mileage for the price in my opinion of what's out there.

My suggestion is do not jump the gun and get what you want for the price you want to pay.

And get some covered parking

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:51 PM   #3

ebay, young man. There are a couple hundred on there at any given time, and that's where I found mine. I was high bidder but didn't meet the reserve, so ended up doing the deal over the phone with the dealer. Great time of year to buy a convertible up north since it isn't ragtop season. I got mine for the dealer's cost and substantially below what their reserve price was. As a bonus, if you get one far away, you can have a great road trip home with it to get acquainted!
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:52 PM   #4

Sorry, one other thing, I was kinda looking for a locar dealer because I am going to try and trade my 03 Jag X Type to keep the taxes down. They are killer here in Chicago/Cook County, IL.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:15 PM   #5

shaman,

I would suggest checking out these dealers :

http://www.chicagomotorcars.com/

This is where I bought mine.

http://www.carsourceusa.com/

This is where my buddy bought his C4S.

http://porsche.rizzacars.com/

Talk to Paul Amato. This is where I go for service.

Rizza has :

2002 with 31k miles for $25,490

2003 with 32k miles for $28,490

Both automatic !

Hope this helps...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:50 PM   #6

I don't know what the auto market is like there in Chi-town - but here, if you get an '03 around $25K you are buying a Boxster with some pretty serious war wounds.

If it were me - I'd find either an older Box in better shape, or I'd find a way to spend more and get into a better maintained ride.

I guess I just come from the school of, "you get what you pay for." To me, getting the "best" deal is reserved for the cereal aisle of the grocery store. When it comes to a performance vehicle, I pay for quality. Not to say that I don’t want a good deal... just don't see the value on saving an extra $5K on what is an already $25K purchase.

There are those that take care of their cars, and those that do not. Any Box that has been beaten up will end up costing you in the long run anyhow.

Best of luck regardless, and congrats. It's an awesome ride.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:50 PM   #7

Skip EBAY. I'm not saying that some people here haven't found some nice deals, but they also didn't get them with a PPI.

Can't speak for the prices, but I'd definitely stick with 2003 or above if for nothing more than the glass rear window. The mileage on all of them seem high. Also keep in mind that this is the WORST time to sell a convertible - so you should be able to negotiate pretty well.

If at all possible in your price range, go for the "S". I didn't and while I love driving my Box, I still wish I had the S.

BTW, I saw a 2004 anniversary a few months ago for around the price range you are looking at. A bit more HP than the 2004 S and some other nice features.

Be really careful with the carbon fiber. Check the option codes to ensure that it was factory and not an add-on by the previous owner. Some of the add-ons seem to be pretty cheap.

Bottom line, take your time - don't hurry on this. You'll find plenty of Boxsters which will turn your head. Make sure it has what you want. And make damn sure you get a PPI....

Good luck.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Skip EBAY. I'm not saying that some people here haven't found some nice deals, but they also didn't get them with a PPI.
Not 100%, But I am sure that is due to the snow flurries blinding you in Denver at the moment.

Bought mine via eBay, I was in California at the time and the Box was in Houston; I won the bid and afterwards all you do is give a small deposit and then you will have XX number of days to have any inspections done and if something comes up you can back out of the deal, and in my case if the PPI failed I negotiated to have my deposit refunded. Just email the seller ahead of bidding to work any details out.

-:Cheers
Old 12-29-2006, 03:21 PM   #9

Yeah, I have kind of come to the conclusion that I will have to take my time. Test drove another today, a 2002 base with tip and 35000 miles for $23k. While it was ok, I will probably want the S. But I don't want a super nice one because it will be a city car. Although I do plan on buying a condo with garage this spring/summer, so I can upgrade in a few years. Plus, they want to give me squat as a trade-in for my Jag, and I have babied it. Synthetic every 5000 miles, 10, 20, 30 and 40k miles done by a really good Jag dealership in the city, new tires, brakes, blah blah blah. They want to give me $10,500. I walked. I plan on selling it outright and be able to really negotiate when I find the right one. So keep the tips coming guys and gals, this is an awesome forum and threads like this are very informative, not only for myself, but for the others wanting a 986 as well.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #10

Travis I wonder if we bought from the same people in Houston? I also had a ppi and in my case they actually found three small dents and a hairline crack in one of the cv boots. These were fixed before I bought.
SC986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:29 PM   #11

1) As you learned, no dealer will give you money for a trade, especially if you still owe on it. Check places like KBB.com and NADA.com to get realistic values for your trade.

2) Since Boxsters are not as "rare" or special or as old as some other porsches (964's and 993's) you CAN use a guide like KBB or NADA to establish values for the cars you are looking for.

3) Use EBAY as a pricing guide. Track similar cars to what you are looking for and see waht they sell for in the end.

4) Make sure the Jag is gone and cash is in hand when you go buying. Nothing makes a sale go quicker than money in hand. I am not saying to buy the first car you see, but both dealer and private seller move quickly for cash deals, in January, for convertibles.

In my search I asked point blank to "dealers" (non -porsche dealers) selling '98-99s why they thought the cars were $19-21K. All were taken as trades and whel, the trade in value for these cars was much closer to 13-15K. I found mine on Craigslist. 41K miles. MY2000. paid much less than those advertised '98's

Check the local papers, autotrader, cars.com, craigslist etc. You might find what you want easier than you thought! Good luck.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)

Last edited by racer_d; 12-29-2006 at 05:33 PM.
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC986
Travis I wonder if we bought from the same people in Houston? I also had a ppi and in my case they actually found three small dents and a hairline crack in one of the cv boots. These were fixed before I bought.

I got mine from ExpoMotor Cars, they are pretty big on eBay, and when I was emailing the sales guy prior to bidding, he was the one who told me to get a PPI before committing to the sell (with him or any other). They were really great to deal with and I have not had a single issue since I bought it.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:58 PM   #13

Yeap, I got mine last week from David at Expo Motors.
SC986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:26 PM   #14

I just bought a Bassalt black 2002 S a couple of months ago and I LOVE it! I was wanting to get the 03 because of the glass but I really wanted to stay under $25k. I found a beautiful 02 that was loaded with xenon, Bose, psm, seat heat, full leather, design sport pkg, etc. This car is really nice and in great shape. It had one owner before me and they loved it too. It had 38K mi on it,(42k now) and everything is like new. I think a really nice car is much more important than a glass window and 8hp. Driving this car is beyond fun!
funster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:34 PM   #15

Boxster researcher here.
How do you go about getting a PPI done when buying from EBay? Do you have a mechanic go to the seller or the seller go to the mechanic? Do you usually use the Porsche dealership, or an independant shop?

Thanks,
Chuck
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
shaman,

I would suggest checking out these dealers :

http://www.chicagomotorcars.com/

This is where I bought mine.

http://www.carsourceusa.com/

This is where my buddy bought his C4S.

http://porsche.rizzacars.com/

Talk to Paul Amato. This is where I go for service.

Rizza has :

2002 with 31k miles for $25,490

2003 with 32k miles for $28,490

Both automatic !

Hope this helps...

Nick
I suggest contacting Paul Amato at Rizza Porsche in Orland Park as well. I bought my 2002 S through him and he was excellent to deal with.

$25k-$30k is a lot of money for a used car so don't think just because it is a Porsche you have to settle for anything less than a car in good shape for its age. Rock chips in the front end are one thing, burn marks and messed up headlights are another...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:49 AM   #17

It's too bad, at least for me, that you need a Tip.

I am looking for a new home for my 2001 Box.

Silver, full Boxster red interior, sport package (whatever
that is), 17 inch wheels (not the twists), wind deflector,
etc. Oh, it's a 5 speed stick.

At only 15,XXX miles, it's like new. Garaged, etc.

It will need tires soon (big surprise, eh?) and I think
it should fetch, what, $23 - $25?

I know you will who read this, at least most of you, have
Boxsters already, but if you know someone looking, have them
drop me a line.

I am in the Houston area, by the way. And Randall has
seen and driven the car and can vouch for its condition.

mweisser@net1.net

I hope you find the car you are looking for.

All the best,

- Mark

Houston C4S is offline   Reply With Quote