Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2006, 07:21 PM   #1

OEM Top Maintenance

OEM Top Maintenance

The top on my '03 Boxster looks just fine - I have never used anything on it but plain H2O. I know that the "car wash" soap that I use doesn't belong anywhere near the top and I'm very careful when I wash the car not to get the suds on the top. My question is: Does the top need to be "water proofed" routinely or only when there appears to be a problem? My service manager told me that the top looked just fine and that I could have it "treated" at the dealer (Champion) in a couple of years. I don't want to play with the top if it's not necessary. Also, what is the life of a well maintained top?

tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg
OEM Top Maintenance

The top on my '03 Boxster looks just fine - I have never used anything on it but plain H2O. I know that the "car wash" soap that I use doesn't belong anywhere near the top and I'm very careful when I wash the car not to get the suds on the top. My question is: Does the top need to be "water proofed" routinely or only when there appears to be a problem? My service manager told me that the top looked just fine and that I could have it "treated" at the dealer (Champion) in a couple of years. I don't want to play with the top if it's not necessary. Also, what is the life of a well maintained top?
If water no longer beads on your top it should be treated with product like Raggtop or I had very good luck with Renovo.
My 2001's top was just about perfect until it was vandalized Sunday, now it's being replaced but it had plenty of life left in it.
I use Porsche Top cleaner to wash it.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:01 AM   #3
bmussatti

Ragg Topp is great stuff, and a do it yourself project. One can will give you at least 5-6 coats. I put 3 coats on my top the first week after bringing it home. It beads for sure now. FYI- the factory coating offered no beading whatsoever.

If you park outside for extended periods of time, you might want to purchase a convertile top cover. They are about $65 on e-Bay. This will also help extend the life of your top...and keep it clean(er)!