Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #1
Mig

Garage
Boxster Alignment Incorrect or Something Else?

Hello.

I've done some searching and can't seem to come to an answer as to what might be the problem.

Background:
285,000km 1999 Boxster purchased 2 years ago as a project car. I replaced the rear struts with a pair of low mileage units from eBay (they were like new). Also replaced all the drop links, all the control arms, front and rear tuning forks.

Had the car aligned by a shop that works on Porsches for the local club. They said the tires were worn and needed to be replaced. I knew this, but didn't want to drive around on new tires until after I got the alignment done.

I drove the car after the alignment (still with the old tires) for a few weeks. The car wandered on the highway and didn't feel planted at all. It feels like the back end is steering the car.

A few days ago I replaced the old tires with new Michelin AS3's. of the same size as the outgoing tires (225/40-18 up front and 265/35-18 at the back).

The car still wanders. I called the alignment shop with my concerns and they are denying and wrong doing and suggesting I come in so they can look at the car. They suggested a more aggressive street alignment.

I don't think I need anything outside of spec. I'm pretty sure Porsche builds a stable car that feels planted on the road.

Any thoughts on what might be going on?

I've attached their alignment report.

Mig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:19 PM   #2

I don't know a thing about aligning a 986, but it sure sounds like you've the rear toed out, causing rear steer/wandering.
PR61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #3

somethings wrong with your caster

geetee is offline   Reply With Quote