Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2006, 12:05 AM   #1

Thumbs down any autocrossers out there?

OK,
So after modifying Hondas for the past 10 years for mainly legal drag racing and most recently autox, I have decided to grow up up and get a more refined car. In other words, I am looking to buy a car which has superior braking and handling capabilities straight from the factory. Right now, my 2 options are 97-99 Boxsters (non-s) and 00-01 S2000's.

I know that the S2000 would beat the Boxster in a straight line b/c Jeremy Clarkson proved this in an old top gear. However, in a different episode of TG, the Boxster seemed to handle in track conditions far superior to the S2000.

My question is, for those of you who have autox'ed their Boxsters, how do they handle compared to other cars?

FYI, I do not drag race anymore since I mainly autox and do hot laps when I can at a local track.

specivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 04:46 AM   #2

I seriously thought about an S2000 and really like the look and that they are cheaper to modify and maintain. I was driving in Toronto on day and saw this guy in an S2000 with a stupid carbon fiber wing, body kit, 10 or so stickers down the door and retarded looking wheels on the car it looked like a Honda Civic from the 90's with all the retarded rice boy crap on it. As soon as I saw that I just couldn't bring myself to buy one. It just looked so ghey with all that crap on it and some loser riceboy behind the wheel.

One thing about the Porsche lineup is you never see that kinda stuff on the road. German cars are more about OE styling than aftermarket loserness like Honda's have always been. Even the VW Audi guys are not really into stupid looking setups like the Honda guys are and it spills over into the S2000 as well.

Sorry that has nothing to do with auto-x but was my sole reason for buying the Box over the S2000, just thought I would share. I was in the same situation as you are right now about 6 months ago. I would have looked more at a 350Z I think now as well and maybe have bought one of those. They are faster, just as beautiful and I come from a Nissan family really dad has always had them and races them now so would have fit in better.

My cars have always been German so I'm an outsider...
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:30 AM   #3

i have autocrossed with my 2000 boxster and i would say its awsome. It was only my first time autoxing and i quickly found that being hard on the brakes though sharp turns is the only way to keep the car turning. It is an awsome autox car.
kyle986driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:10 AM   #4

Well the Boxster is certainly a more refined vehicle, and in my limited experience autocrossing the boxster (I have been autoxing our Miata for the last 2+ years) it is absolutely capable and fun, a bit over-steer happy, but that can be adjusted.

Here is my observation:
daily driver - Boxster
autocross car - S2000
track car - Boxster

I think you will find the between the two cars, and based on your criteria, the Boxster would be the appropriate choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle986driver
i have autocrossed ... It was only my first time autoxing

Kyle was that you in the boxster at the Martin event last week? Friend of Leland right? Welcome!

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #5

Kyle was that you in the boxster at the Martin event last week? Friend of Leland right? Welcome![/QUOTE]

wow, yeah thats right...did i meet you that day? what were you driving?

-kyle
Old 06-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #6

if your goal is the better autocrosser, get the S2000. a mildly prepared S2000 will kill a stock boxster in AutoX (as will an RX-8). tuning the boxster to be competitive at AutoX can be expensive; the same $$$ invested in modifying an S2000, RX-7, RX-8 or Miata will yeild a more competitive car.

if you plan on any road racing, however, the boxster is a far better choice.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #7

Kyle, we autocross the Miata (see my sig - Red Miata #8 w/mscc, in the same class as Leland) when points are involved, not the boxster. But I was watching you durring fun runs... hope to see you out there more often. I'll have the boxster out there at the December non-points event (battle of the daily drivers ).

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
Kyle, we autocross the Miata (see my sig - Red Miata #8 w/mscc, in the same class as Leland) when points are involved, not the boxster. But I was watching you durring fun runs... hope to see you out there more often. I'll have the boxster out there at the December non-points event (battle of the daily drivers ).
cool. cant wait, ill be out there as many times as possible!
Old 06-10-2006, 12:42 PM   #9

I've driven both S2000 and BoxsterS

I Autocross a fair bit previously with a Miata with LOTS of upgrades.

The S2000 is an A+ car for track or autocross. Best value in roadsters by a mile.
The BoxsterS is also A+

The S2000 has a much better gear box and is bullet proof.
THe BoxsterS has better brakes, better handling, better steering, better
seating position, and of course low end torque is way better than on the S2000.

I also like the STI, which says allot coming from a guy who thinks all cars should be sold with two doors by law.

Also, for Autocross I think there is a big difference between the BOxster and Boxster S. If you plan do allot of Autocrossing with the Boxster I would not go with anything other than the S. At this curb weight the car needs at least 250 HP well it doesn't but with 250 coming out of turns and tossing it around is a vey difference experience in the S. I regularly match the 993 and 996 911's without really pushing. Meanwhile some very experienced and very good drivers in Standard 2.7 Boxsters are a good 1 to 2 seconds behind the Standard 996 911's.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #10

Let's not forget that the new Boxster S scored the fastest run ever (even beating the Enzo) through a slalom in one of the popular car mags...must be a fairly capable autocrosser...

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:06 PM   #11

yep on performance this car is will only get BETTER.

my Porsche service dude informed me of the 300HP option on the 2007 987S.
I wanted to tell him: IT CAN HANDLE MORE THAN THAT!!

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote