Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2016, 04:03 PM   #1

A guy tried to follow me around a corner, and failed

I pull out of a parking lot, into a 35 mph zone. I notice an older Integra coming up fast from behind. I take the next right, probably a little fast, really just to get out of this guy's way. But there's no drama. I feel the rear tires dig in, and away we go.

The poor kid in the Integra tries to take the corner at the same speed and I hear the screaming of his tires, and watch in the rearview as he loses control, over-compensates, swerves the other way, over-compensates again, and finally manages to get his car pointed forward. Oh, and his wipers were on at this point as well, even though it's a beautiful clear day here. I give him a big thumbs up.

I do love a well sorted car!

Old 10-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Had a similar experience a while ago. I was coming down from the canyons at a fair pace and I see this Miata zooming to catch me. I was on good tires and the car felt great so I just let the reigns out a bit, still only about 8/10s on a public road. After a fairly tight corner I look in my mirror and see the Miata in this huge tank-slapper nearly losing it over the side. Yikes! We both ramped it way down and cruised gently back into civilization. I hope lessons were learned that day... and maybe some tire shopping.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:00 PM   #3

Something similar happend to me once

I was leaving my in laws farm in TN one night around 11:00 PM heading home on a 70 mile trip. It was clear full moon and I had the Boxster about a year and just had new tires and great night for driving. I pulled out on the road home, a great two lane black top as twisty as a Lawyer's soul with nice banked curves for 7 miles. As I pulled out I was behind a lifted Pickup, I kept my low beams on and gave him ample space but as he was driving 35 mph on a road with 50mph limit it was slow going. I had the top down and you could see like daylight the moon was so bright, after a mile he had slowed down to 20 mph and then speed up and then hit the brakes and speed up....obviously a juvenile or shallow gene pool adult drinking and wanted to have some fun. I would not play along, we came to straight section of road and the "S" was in second gear at about 4K and I just slid out and passed him like he was parked. I shifted into 3 rd so the roar of the flat six did not seem like a challenge....like I said I wanted to get home and did not want to play. So I just went up to the speed limit and stayed there not thinking much about it....the truck came fast behind me with lights on bright honking his horn and yelling something about my Mother??

I Had driven this road so many times I knew it like the back of my hand the Boxster could hang in every curve on 65mph and never flinch...so I just stayed at 55 and ignored him.....he made the first curve, not the second. His Lifted truck with it's mud tires Yawed and swapped ends tires screeching and came to a stop. I stepped on the brakes and stopped not 100 feet in front of him....that is how close he was to me. I yelled are you OK ?

Again something about my Mother, so I just drove off into the night...last I saw of him
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I was leaving my in laws farm in TN one night around 11:00 PM heading home on a 70 mile trip. It was clear full moon and I had the Boxster about a year and just had new tires and great night for driving. I pulled out on the road home, a great two lane black top as twisty as a Lawyer's soul with nice banked curves for 7 miles. As I pulled out I was behind a lifted Pickup, I kept my low beams on and gave him ample space but as he was driving 35 mph on a road with 50mph limit it was slow going. I had the top down and you could see like daylight the moon was so bright, after a mile he had slowed down to 20 mph and then speed up and then hit the brakes and speed up....obviously a juvenile or shallow gene pool adult drinking and wanted to have some fun. I would not play along, we came to straight section of road and the "S" was in second gear at about 4K and I just slid out and passed him like he was parked. I shifted into 3 rd so the roar of the flat six did not seem like a challenge....like I said I wanted to get home and did not want to play. So I just went up to the speed limit and stayed there not thinking much about it....the truck came fast behind me with lights on bright honking his horn and yelling something about my Mother??

I Had driven this road so many times I knew it like the back of my hand the Boxster could hang in every curve on 65mph and never flinch...so I just stayed at 55 and ignored him.....he made the first curve, not the second. His Lifted truck with it's mud tires Yawed and swapped ends tires screeching and came to a stop. I stepped on the brakes and stopped not 100 feet in front of him....that is how close he was to me. I yelled are you OK ?

Again something about my Mother, so I just drove off into the night...last I saw of him

So.....how's your mother?
Old 10-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #5

In her 80's

And doing fine
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #6

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
There is a pretty steep hill by my hose either a fun S turn going down. I had a Honda Civic follow me but on the first norner he slide sideways hitting both his rims on the curb. It made a very loud cracking sound, he was not amused when I gave him a thumbs up at the lights down at the bottom.
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:58 AM   #7

These stories are so much fun, here's mine. On my way home from work there is a funky entrance ramp from a 50mph road that curves right, becomes 2 lanes with the right going to a NW freeway and the left outside lane continuing into a left hander followed by a right hander "30mph labeled" curve to the westbound freeway, that's the one I take. I always have a little fun on these switchbacks. I was speeding up to get on when a late model 911 darts in front of me from the left, he speeds up so I figure he is doing the same thing I am and having a little fun. He gives it a bit of gas to go around the right hander but hugs the inside and ends up in the right lane that goes to the NW freeway, as he was not pushing it anywhere near the limit I close in fast and end up next to him in the left lane that takes me to my freeway. He nearly smashes into me with huge surprise that I was passing him as it turns out he must of thought he was really pushing it and had to hug the inside and not stay in his lane and wants to go the same freeway I am. I blow my horn as I nearly lose it having had to hit the brakes. Funny part of this story, I was in at the time my winter beater 4 door 98 Golf, just turns out another guy who buys a 911 and can't drive it. This ramp is a favorite with people but so many guys in performance cars just can't drive, it's not the cars, its the drivers not that F1 is knocking on my door to sign me or anything.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:25 AM   #8

When I was employed, my commute in to work included 2 mi of Interstate with an exit road followed by a 270* ramp to my next road. If someone was following me close on my Interstate drive and onto the exit road, I'd bait them by slowing down a bit and then nail it on the ramp. Put a smile on my face on the way into work.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Had a similar experience a while ago. I was coming down from the canyons at a fair pace and I see this Miata zooming to catch me. I was on good tires and the car felt great so I just let the reigns out a bit, still only about 8/10s on a public road. After a fairly tight corner I look in my mirror and see the Miata in this huge tank-slapper nearly losing it over the side. Yikes! We both ramped it way down and cruised gently back into civilization. I hope lessons were learned that day... and maybe some tire shopping.
That comes down to tires. With equal tires a Miata can out corner a Boxster. I've owned both. The Miata's weight advantage is hard to beat. But, wherever there is room to put down real power, the Miata loses.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
That comes down to tires. With equal tires a Miata can out corner a Boxster. I've owned both.
I own both a Miata and a Boxster and I gotta say a stock Miata vs a stock Boxster on a twisty road or on a track the Boxster will always win. The Boxster has a better suspension, better brakes, wider wheels and tires, a wider track and need I say more power.

Miata’s may be easier to go fast in (the go-cart effect), but can a Miata outrun a Boxster down a canyon road, I think it all depends on who is driving the Miata and who is driving the Boxster.

All said, its more satisfying to pass a Boxster in a Miata than to pass a Miata in a Boxster because we all know who has the upper hand.
MARTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTHA View Post
I own both a Miata and a Boxster and I gotta say a stock Miata vs a stock Boxster on a twisty road or on a track the Boxster will always win. The Boxster has a better suspension, better brakes, wider wheels and tires, a wider track and need I say more power.

Miata’s may be easier to go fast in (the go-cart effect), but can a Miata outrun a Boxster down a canyon road, I think it all depends on who is driving the Miata and who is driving the Boxster.

All said, its more satisfying to pass a Boxster in a Miata than to pass a Miata in a Boxster because we all know who has the upper hand.
As I said, with equal tires. The Miata is lighter and lower than the Boxster and is mostly hindered by it's skinny tires.

When I first got my Boxster I was disappointed with how it handled corners vs. my Miata. It turned in as well or better but it's ultimate grip was hurt by the extra weight vs. tire patch ratio. My Miata had Hankook 225 width RS3's which are basically race tires pretending to be street tires.

Last edited by Disaster; 10-11-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:51 PM   #12

My story is a 90 degree turn dual lane hwy on ramp.

I do it daily to work and know just how fast I go without worries.

However a dude in a Honda though he could also do that speed in the curve and his back end lost it and he is perpendiculat to the lane heading for the guard rail.

I think he stopped it before hitting the rail but I let the ponies loose out of that turn and am usually at 90 mph by the end of the on ramp lanes so he was too far behind to see what became of him.

Also having some fun in the twisty canyon road Ortega Hwy and there was someone on my tail so I though I'd rather put some distance between us.

He tried to hang with my increased rate of speed but after one curve and straight I did not see him following anymore so he either scared himself, went into a guardrail or ditch as there are no places to stop or turn around in that section.

Felt kind of bad as an accident in that section are likely to get you rear ended by the next car behind coming around a blind corner at speed.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:56 PM   #13

Garage
Or one of the absolutely crazy mortorcyclists who regularly donate organs on the Ortega Highway.

Anker
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:08 AM   #14

Nothing twisty here – I was on I-95S in Old Saybrook, CT. A Tuesday morning, barely any traffic, top down passing a Yukon that was in the right lane. I’m doing 80-85, the Yukon probably 75, and I look up from the stereo I was fiddling with, and there’s the cruiser parked in the grass at Exit 66. The gun’s aimed right at me and I’m about 200 feet away.

Crap.

I slide over into the right lane and look back and, yup, the cruiser’s on the move. In the meantime, as I slow down to 65, the Yukon comes up behind me and is right on my bumper. Along comes Mr. Trooper in the left lane, lights on, right signal on, trying to get in behind me to pull me over.

The Yukon won’t open up a gap. Mr. Trooper blips the siren, and the Yukon hangs right in there. After about a quarter mile of this nonsense the trooper gets irate, slides back behind the Yukon and pulls him over! I continue on my way.

And that’s how I’ve driven for 36 years without getting a speeding ticket.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:36 AM   #15

It`s more fun when you let Tuner Kid get in front and they try to loose you in the corner.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold

Last edited by Xpit77; 10-17-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
It`s more fun when you let Tuner Kid get in front and they try to loose you in the corner.
Nooooo way, his car parts from kissing the guard rail will scratch your paint if you are behind him.

Better to stay clear of any wreckage as kids typically do something stupid sooner or later when under pressure or frustrated...and beware of tractor trailers at all costs while your at it.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #17

I love stories like these, I believe I was born to race because I love it, so like I said I love the stories.

I have a Miata with a factory body kit and few people actually recognize it as a lowly Miata, people assume it is something exotic, especially when I have the hardtop on, people are always asking what is it and how fast is it.

So needless to say ricer boys that couldn’t outrun a yugo are always wanting to race.

And now that I have the Boxster people still rev their engines at me. I think maybe they see me in a sporty car and are teasing the old lady. You don’t think they see me as the little old lady from Pasadena do you?

Last week I took a few days and drove every twisty country lane I could find in NorthWest Arkansas and SouthWest Missouri. At one point while on a 4 lane highway I had a sedan of some sort (I think it was a Beemer) pull up behind me, so my knowing a two lane road was just ahead I slowed down trying to get him to pass, instead he slowed way down and fell back, then just as I got to the end of the highway I looked in my rearview mirror and there he was, he had ran upon me going into the twisty road. Clearly he wanted to play, I drove increasingly harder through the twists and turns and he obviously tried to hang with me for a time but then I didn’t see him again. Was he trying me or was it all in my head, who knows but it sure was fun anyways.

Yesterday I also had a VW bug rev his engine at me, I just gave him a big smile.

Go Granny, Go Granny, Go Granny, Go
MARTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #18
Known Gearhead

Garage
I've been driving sporty cars for 50 years, but only have one story along these lines. On Highway 49 in the Sierra foothills, a pickup truck pulled onto the highway behind my '95 Miata. The Miata was supercharged, lowered, the whole 9 yards worth of mods; a track day toy that was street legal. The F150 pickup got on my bumper and I thought he was being silly, so I pulled over to give him enough room to pass in a straight section. He didn't, so I took off at about 80% of what the car would do. At the next curve I didn't even tap my brakes, just went for it. The pickup did not come out of that curve. I did not go back to look.