Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #1

Garage
New convertible top cost

01 Boxster and the vinyl window is separating from the fabric roof. I have called 3 places here in RDU and two have said they do not repair these tops and highly suggest going with a complete new roof.

Does this sound kosher?

What should I expect to pay for a new German fabric top and installation?

BlackBox01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:51 AM   #2

Not sure where RDU, NC is (North Carolina or somewhere else on the planet?) but any decent auto upholstery shop can sew in a new plastic window for you for $300 or so.

A new top is $600 for plastic and $750 or more for a glass window plus the installation, which can be $250-500 bucks.

When I upgraded my original 1997 plastic top to a glass top with a headliner in it, I was amazed at how much quieter it was in the cabin and how much cooler it was as well in the summer time. My head no longer bakes just under that old canvas top with no insulation under it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:00 PM   #3

Garage
Thanks for the reply. RDU, NC is Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina (RDU is the airport code). When did you have your top replaced? Was it made from the "German fabric" that the original roof was made of?

BlackBox01 is offline   Reply With Quote