Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 02:29 PM   #1

Search for trunk manual release cable....Fail

Well I removed the driver's rear tire today and attempted to remove the inner fender skirt so I could hopefully find the trunk release....but No Go. I managed to remove the clip and the fasteners with the exception of one that I could not identify. Looking at the tire if you go to about 2 o'clock there is a fastener high that has no visible method of removing it ?

The head is smooth like the silly fastener that holds the manual bracket under the steering wheel....except I could not see the center pin....it looked solid.I did get enough of the fender curtain loose that I could see behind it and could not see the cable anywhere. It is so hot right now I decided to put it all back together and wait for a morning when I had more time and the ambient temperature was not that of molten lead.

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:59 PM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I searched for mine a few years ago when i locked my keys in the trunk on vacation. I couldn't find it either. I took the bumper off this year to change the muffler, there was no emergency cable too find. 98 base.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #3

Ouch

Well I will eventually have to get in the trunk.....oil change and all that
Old 09-12-2016, 06:05 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Well I removed the driver's rear tire today and attempted to remove the inner fender skirt so I could hopefully find the trunk release....but No Go. I managed to remove the clip and the fasteners with the exception of one that I could not identify. Looking at the tire if you go to about 2 o'clock there is a fastener high that has no visible method of removing it ?

The head is smooth like the silly fastener that holds the manual bracket under the steering wheel....except I could not see the center pin....it looked solid.I did get enough of the fender curtain loose that I could see behind it and could not see the cable anywhere. It is so hot right now I decided to put it all back together and wait for a morning when I had more time and the ambient temperature was not that of molten lead.
I don't know why but I've always thought the trunk release was electronic and only the frunk had a cable on my '99. If you find one please let the rest of us know where you found it.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
I don't know why but I've always thought the trunk release was electronic and only the frunk had a cable on my '99. If you find one please let the rest of us know where you found it.
They all have one, here is where it is with the bumper removed for clarity:

Old 09-12-2016, 01:51 PM   #6

Thanks

I should be able to get to that one way or another....dont know if I can get the rear bumper off with the trunk closed....but I should be able to snag that wire with another wire
Old 09-12-2016, 03:29 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
They all have one, here is where it is with the bumper removed for clarity:

Good to know but I hope I never have to get to it.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:55 PM   #8

Its actually not difficult to find, even with the rear bumper attached. You will have to remove the wheel arch plastic lining and with the aid of a good light you should see it.
I pulled mine down so that it is positioned just below the rear bumper for easy reach in times of stress.... Just make sure it operates the latch OK before reattaching the liner.