Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #1

Garage
Swaybar upgrade question

Hi All, I have a 99 Boxster, I live in the USA. I want to upgrade my suspension. Does anyone know the existing swaybar specs on the 99 base? I have a Tip transmission. Based on what I have found on the CB Racing info the front swaybar on my car is a 23.1mm front diameter. So installing the eibach 26mm front part 70779 would be a big improvement along with tarret drop links, bilstein HD shocks and eibach lowering springs.

Based on the CB racing info my car has an 18.5mm rear sway bar but then it goes on to say that "On the Boxster the anti sway bars are the same from USA to ROW.
The tiptronic cars already have 030 bars in the rear." So that would mean I have a 19.6mm rear swaybar? I ask this because I have a rear swaybar part 98633370113 and don't want to swap out the rear if its not an upgrade. Could someone please clarify for me what size sway bars I have on my car currently?

Old 09-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

I don't know what you have on your car now, but here is how the sway bars compare:

(If it were me, I'd measure the bar with a caliper and eliminate any guessing)

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 09-04-2016 at 08:44 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:38 AM   #3

I have the eibach rear bar set in the middle position and I feel it is an upgrade to the 2000 S M030 rear sway bar it replaced. It is heavier though... I'm considering the front bar but the car feels really good right now so I'm keeping as is for now (M030 front bar)

If you are getting eibach pro springs and don't already have the bilstein hd struts you should check out the koni fsd I have to sale, koni fsd + eibach springs is an approved combo

Last edited by steved0x; 09-05-2016 at 04:57 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
FWIW I cautiously avoid the word "upgrade" when choosing sway bars. We change sways because we wish to change the dynamics of a car in very specific ways. If you are running R-comp tires you are generating a lot more lateral G forces and stiffer sways give you more control over your contact patch. If your car is running square you may develop too much oversteer and a stiffer front sway or softer rear may tame that a bit. They are suspension tuning devices, not necessarily an upgrade to every street car.

If you are currently on stock suspension running street tires, I can say that an M030 rear sway will reduce understeer and allow the car to rotate more easily without becoming too tail happy. Figure out where you are in terms of suspension, exact tire compound and sizes, alignment specs, and where you want to go, then very experienced folks can help you make a wise sway bar choice.

Last edited by Topless; 09-05-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:25 AM   #5

Very good points Topless. One way (in my opinion, non expert) to think about it is "What is the car doing that I don't want", or "what do I need more or less of" in the scope of sway bars. For my case, after going to stiffer springs/coilovers, I needed/wanted some adjustability in the rear to give more options in resolving an oversteer problem (that turned out to be caused by too much rake). I chose the center position of the eibach rear sway bar and it rocked. I also adjusted ride height at the same time so who.knows which it was buy I am.liking this stiffer bar in conjunction with my current setup

Last edited by steved0x; 09-05-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #6

Edit: I posted to the wrong thread, but here is a link to the right thread with some stiffness data for the Eibach sway bars.: http://986forum.com/forums/511625-post9.html

Last edited by steved0x; 09-29-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #7
Shacky

New Sway Bar bushings - Wow what a nice change

Had a rattle that I thought was loose exhaust. My mechanic checked it and said it needed all 4 bushings replaced. Wow what an improvement!!!

Sorry meant to start new thread

shacky is offline   Reply With Quote