Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2016, 03:54 PM   #1

Looking for advice

I'm looking to get a 986. Other than the IMS, are there other things I should be looking for over and above basic cosmetic appearance?

Is the S worth the price in the used market?

Thank you!

DFromC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #2

To each there own on the S model. I've got a base, yet have never complained once. Still blows the doors off most other cars out there and is more than I can use on our Canadian roads.
I would always recommend getting the newest car you can afford. No matter the km's, age still plays a big part in the condition.
That being said, buying a Porsche isn't much different than other cars. Water pump, suspension, engine mount, brakes....
Find a car you like and spend a couple bucks getting a PPI done at a reputable shop.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:56 PM   #3

OK. Let's all re-type everything that's ever been said in this forum because this guy doesn't wanna use the search button.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
OK. Let's all re-type everything that's ever been said in this forum because this guy doesn't wanna use the search button.
I searched a ton. A lot of good info. No need to get testy.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Here is the Cliffs Notes version;

Base or S is entirely owner dependent. There are those who find the base models more than adequate and others who love the extra power of the S. Drive both and then decide which you like best and whether the price premium for the S is worth it to you.

In regards to condition, get a PPI. It will be the best $300 you ever spend. I know that a PPI can be a PITA to arrange but don't skip it.

Buy the newest and best maintained car you can afford. Then after you fix the things wrong with it at the time of purchase, be prepared to spend $2,000 a year on normal maintenance and repairs.

There are no cheap Porsche's.

This will be one of, if not the, most fun and enjoyable cars you will ever own. We all guarantee that you will love driving it.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-15-2016 at 08:49 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFromC View Post
If you "searched a ton" why did you ask the question?
Honestly, there are dozens of the same inquiries as you are making regarding the pitfalls of owning a M96 engined Boxster. Did you read mikesporscheboxsterwebpages or pedrosgarages.com-Site-Technolab.html

Preferring an S over a base is purely subjective and there is no right or wrong answer....
Old 08-16-2016, 03:53 AM   #7
Project Addicted

Try to find a car that has the proper maintenance done and has records.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Here is the Cliffs Notes version;

Base or S is entirely owner dependent. There are those who find the base models more than adequate and others who love the extra power of the S. Drive both and then decide which you like best and whether the price premium for the S is worth it to you.

In regards to condition, get a PPI. It will be the best $300 you ever spend. I know that a PPI can be a PITA to arrange but don't skip it.

Buy the newest and best maintained car you can afford. Then after you fix the things wrong with it at the time of purchase, be prepared to spend $2,000 a year on normal maintenance and repairs.

There are no cheap Porsche's.

This will be one of, if not the, most fun and enjoyable cars you will ever own. We all guarantee that you will love driving it.
Thank you for the answer!

I'm completely familiar with high-maintenance vehicles: my daily driver is a Range Rover
Old 08-16-2016, 06:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Honestly, there are dozens of the same inquiries as you are making regarding the pitfalls of owning a M96 engined Boxster. Did you read mikesporscheboxsterwebpages or pedrosgarages.com-Site-Technolab.html

Preferring an S over a base is purely subjective and there is no right or wrong answer....
No, I didn't see those.. I'll look now.

I asked because as these vehicles age, their issues will become more prevalent. An issue ten years ago may not be an issue today, if say, it can be assumed most cars of this vintage have had the IMS and RMS replaced with a clutch maintenance.

Getting the most up to date info from the experts seemed like a prudent approach.

I realize that repetitive questions can get old, but there are a lot of threads, and a lot of information. Apologies for rehashing it.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
You two sound like a pompous ass! He ask because like me he is new, we wish to learn, if you don’t wish to help him out simply don’t respond. Surely there are those with the decency to answer what is ask.
MARTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTHA View Post
You two sound like a pompous ass! He ask because like me he is new, we wish to learn, if you don’t wish to help him out simply don’t respond. Surely there are those with the decency to answer what is ask.
nice response..Im also a new viewer and afraid to ask the wrong questions.
Chip Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:27 AM   #12

Garage
The first click should be the sticky

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/14685-thinking-buying-boxster-must-read.html

We all started as new, and don't be afraid to ask questions, searches don't always bring up everything. The best advice is to drive several Boxsters, there are a lot of them out there, some well cared for, some not. Be patient and you will find "the one." Get the newest one you can afford, and get a PPI! It will tell you the condition and will give you some negotiation points. Look at your local PCA classifieds, Excellence magazine, the classifieds on this forum, eBay, AutoTrader, craigslist, etc, watch them all. Find a local independent Porsche mechanic, first for your PPI, second, he may know of someone looking to sell. Don't be afraid to travel to get the right one, I traveled from Ft Worth, Texas to Atlanta for mine. Good luck on your search, and post prospects here and you will get opinions on whether to buy it or not.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:31 AM   #13

The only people who say not to get an S is people that dont have one. Sort of like people who say" money doesnt matter" they either have way too much or none. As far as this forum... it is great but you have to weed thru all the smart ass know it alls hiding behind the comp. Ask anything you want, someone will help. Old threads are fine but things change all the time. Want any oil or tire advice....ask away. I can say that if you buy one drive it ....hard and often, Fast and slow. Great machine
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #14

Proper responce

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/14685-thinking-buying-boxster-must-read.html

We all started as new, and don't be afraid to ask questions, searches don't always bring up everything. The best advice is to drive several Boxsters, there are a lot of them out there, some well cared for, some not. Be patient and you will find "the one." Get the newest one you can afford, and get a PPI! It will tell you the condition and will give you some negotiation points. Look at your local PCA classifieds, Excellence magazine, the classifieds on this forum, eBay, AutoTrader, craigslist, etc, watch them all. Find a local independent Porsche mechanic, first for your PPI, second, he may know of someone looking to sell. Don't be afraid to travel to get the right one, I traveled from Ft Worth, Texas to Atlanta for mine. Good luck on your search, and post prospects here and you will get opinions on whether to buy it or not.
This is your answer
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #15
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
The only people who say not to get an S is people that dont have one. Sort of like people who say" money doesnt matter" they either have way too much or none.
Well, that's an asinine comment that appears to actually be about yourself.

All "S" models have a single row IMSB (don't bug me with the "well, my 2000S might have a dual row because it was a transition year" ). They also have the weird gearing of the 6sp trans...these things could also be a factor in their choice.

I've driven both a base and an "S" back to back and noticed ZERO difference in acceleration or torque. The gearing on the "S" was also awful. Of course, there are tons of variables and maybe one is better maintained than the other.

Money doesn't matter

Last edited by particlewave; 08-17-2016 at 02:26 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #16

I wish I would have seen the PCA classifieds when I was looking for my Boxster. They have some great, well cared for vehicles with full records maintained by enthusiasts. Not all, but many. I looked for a long time in the local CL and other places. Just wasn't coming up with quality vehicles to my liking. Found a car in Dallas that looked good via the interwebs and after asking some questions about what little I knew from searching this forum the sales guy at the dealership told me straight up, "don't buy this car, there are better ones out there."

I expanded my search to southern CA, where there are many more boxsters than South TX I found what I was looking for and couldn't be happier. I am sometimes a little envious of the prior owner though...when I asked him about the IMSB he got a little put out that "everybody keeps asking me about that and I don't even know what that is." It was his wife's car and he doesn't read Porsche forums. Turned out to be a great car.

Dave in TX.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
This is your answer
Thank you both.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:27 AM   #18

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post

Old 08-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #19
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFromC View Post
If I understand Canadian customs correctly, Mark_T has offended you and is now obligated to take you out to Timmy's and make reparations. Have him let you drive his car.

Quote:
Other than the IMS, are there other things I should be looking for over and above basic cosmetic appearance?
Like any 10+ year old used car, some are good, some are bad. If you are not familiar with them, hire a professional to do a pre-purchase inspection.

I generally buy them wrecked or highly depreciated at my own risk. I enjoy doing most of my own work, short of machine shop stuff. Competent shops that work on these cars charge a bit over $100/hour for labor and will not discount your parts. That makes a big difference in whether a problem is cheap or expensive to fix.

Very common problems:
-Missing/broken plastic panels on the undercarriage.
-Malfunctioning windows.
-Airbag system failure (most commonly seat belt wiring).
-Horn contact failure.
-Water pump failure.
-Coolant expansion tank (or cap) leak.
-Brake wear.
-Uneven tire wear.
-Worn suspension parts - rear trailing arms especially.
-Broken parts in the top mechanism - gears, cables, and linkage.
-Blocked drains. Leads to: Wet padding under carpet, failed immobilizer box, corrosion inside brake booster, and more.
-S models commonly have a problem with 2nd gear pop-out
-Spark plug tubes leak. (1997-2002)
-Alternator bearings/idler pulleys seize.
-The Air Oil Separators fail internally and dump oil directly into the intake.

Those are just some of the most common, easy to fix things that I have found on my cars. There's plenty more scary stuff that is less common:
-Failed hydraulic lifters.
-Bad chain tensioners.
-Sheared crankshaft.
-Oil pump failures.
-VarioCam actuator failure.
-Connecting rod bolt failure.
-Rear main seal failure.
Most of these can lead to a repair cost of thousands of dollars (or Very Many thousands of Canadian dollars).

My advice: Buy one that looks pretty and drive it hard. Consider your money gone. For me, it somehow worked out better than my investment in the Oil and Gas industry.

Last edited by 78F350; 08-16-2016 at 09:35 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:31 AM   #20

I would say get what you want. Do not make compromises or you will regret it later. I got the S cause I knew I would regret it eventually if I didn't. I had an Infiniti FX35, but later upgraded to the 45. Should have just started with the 45, but didn't want to pay the extra premium at the time. Ended up spending more money doing the upgrade! Never again!

Rok986 is offline   Reply With Quote