Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #1

Garage
How do I raise and lower driver seat in 01 Boxster

Hey folks, I just bought my 01 Boxster on Friday and I am really enjoying it so far, but I cant figure out how to lower the seat, so the top of seat doesn't rub against the roll over bars.
Is it electronic (motorized) or manual? I have the upgraded seats and there are only two knobs (controllers) on the side of the seat.

Thanks in advance.

BlackBox01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBox01 View Post
Hey folks, I just bought my 01 Boxster on Friday and I am really enjoying it so far, but I cant figure out how to lower the seat, so the top of seat doesn't rub against the roll over bars.
Is it electronic (motorized) or manual? I have the upgraded seats and there are only two knobs (controllers) on the side of the seat.

Thanks in advance.
Congratulations! You'll enjoy your time here with a bunch of 986 enthusiasts. Now you're here find that search button and you'll find a wealth of info on any topic you can think of.

Now about those seats. I assume you have a lever forward? The seat height will me manual, it is assisted by a pressurized hydraulic cylinder like the frunk and trunk. Pull lever up to unlatch the dogs on the seat rail. If you are sitting in the seat you may need to unweight the seat. You can also stand outside door, pull lever and push seat down.

And We love pics of cars. The standard quote is pics or it ain't real.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #3

Garage
911Monty - thanks for the reply. I went out and sat in the car and I simply had not pulled up on the handle hard enough. Now, the seat is at its lowest setting and I will adjust as I drive it more. Also, I have about four pics, but they are too big to upload to the site. You will need to trust me for now.
BlackBox01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #4
MWS

Don't feel bad about not knowing about the adjustment...if you are sitting in the car (and don't know about it), when you pull that lever it doesn't seem to do anything.

If this makes you feel any better (and worth a chuckle), many years ago when I looked at my first Boxster I was as a used dealer that new nothing about them. He thought the dash light that indicates roof open was supposed to "just always stay on, to let you know roof was open" and (wait for this...) actually broke the switch for the frunk by pulling up (instead of back) AND he did this in an attempt to show the engine. Wow, right?

Anyway, happy driving, and welcome!
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:00 AM   #5

When a friend of mine bought his Boxster he drove it with the air conditioning on for about a month before he figured out how to turn it off. (It's the button with the snowflake on it. It looked like an asterisk to him and to me.)

Enjoy your car.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:25 AM   #6

Yes, it looks like the Mercedes seat control, but it isn't. Took me about a year to see the light. I suppose I could have read the owners manual ...
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
When a friend of mine bought his Boxster he drove it with the air conditioning on for about a month before he figured out how to turn it off. (It's the button with the snowflake on it. It looked like an asterisk to him and to me.)
Snowflakes in BMWs, too.

Not sure about VW/Audi. Merc just labels A/C or earlier EC (for "economy" meaning if you turned it off). German cars basically have a compressor on/off button.

2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote