Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 04:12 AM   #1

DIY Porsche Sports Exhaust (valved)

I know there is a lot of threads on this.. but after Reading up and Down the internet I still feel the need to do a thread about this. Promise to post the result.

My plan so far is to make something similar to the newest type of PSE; the one that don't have the pipes Connected to the outlet pipes. I only want an on / off button, so in my ears, Electric valve seems to be an easier choice over vacuum. I’ll have a local exhaust shop to do the Welding.

This is a Picture of what someone has done previously and the same as i planning to do.

What I didn’t find when i searched the web is more Pictures and info on how the Original PSE is designed. How does the O.PSE look inside? Witch Chambers does the piping go through. What is the pipe size on the original and what have you guys used?
Recommendations on valves?

I want the result to be noticeable louder than original, but not like the loudest exhaust's out there. Without having heard the original PSE, I'm guessing something just a little bit louder than original PSE.

All feedback is received with great thanks

RedBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:24 AM   #2

Sounds like a great project. I think the electric valves over the vacuum is a good idea.

I had a Fister muffler on before the PSE. The Fister sounded better than the PSE. I needed more sound so I deleted the secondary cats. That helped.

Here is a photo of my PSE before I cleaned it up. Hopefully it shows you what you're looking for.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #3

I have the Fister Modded Exhaust along with secondary cat deletes too and the sound is pretty much spot on what I was looking for. There are also noticeable power gains. The car isn't too much louder putting around town below 3500 rpms but when you open it up it sounds mean above 4k.
quick986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:05 AM   #4

I listened to the fister on youtube and it sounds very good. Someone knows what they do to the exhaust? I live in norway so it's a long way to ship, and i also want it to be valved. I still wonder about what pipe size to use, and exactly what cambers i should ame for.

I have the 1999 2.5 so there is no secondary cat's.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl.O View Post
I listened to the fister on youtube and it sounds very good. Someone knows what they do to the exhaust? I live in norway so it's a long way to ship, and i also want it to be valved. I still wonder about what pipe size to use, and exactly what cambers i should ame for.

I have the 1999 2.5 so there is no secondary cat's.
Do a Google search and a YouTube search for Boxster muffler modifications or Boxster Pedro modification. There are hours (days) of information out there. GL.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #6

Here's what I did...

I cut the dividing plate, middle pipe is your inlet, bottom pipe is the outlet. I just let them flow a bit more easily. No drone and sounds really good above 3k and not as offensive as the ebay exhaust.
Dualist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #7

Thank you for your answers. It all helps.
I've been looking at this electric exhaust valve on ebay: 2" Racing Electric Exhaust Cutout Valves Control Motor Kit Bolt On | eBay

How do i wire it? My plan is to have the sports exhaust button in the dash that operates the valve with one click on and off. I gues i need some sort of relay?
Old 08-14-2016, 08:40 AM   #8

Have not made any progress on this yet due to other things that have taken my time. In the meen time i've been watching some more youtube videos and that have made me unshure of witch of the solutions i should go for. Either the one on the first picture that enters the outer chamber or directly to the outletpipes as most of you have done. Cant find any soundclip of what i first was planing to do. Wil it be much difference in sound?
Old 11-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #9

This is what i ended up With! I do'nt like threads that do'nt have a ending, so i just wanted to say my experience.

This Project took time, i went to multiple exhaust shop's, at first With the valved idea.
The cost if a shop was to do this was so high that i instead bought a sheap mig welder. I had no previus experience with weldig, but with some training on test pieces i mannaged to get a good but not to pretty weld. I figgured the walves was so big that fitting them was too mouch of a hassle for me with my experience. I was looking for walves in about 1 inch size, but could not find any. also they should have had the design like the vacuume ones. I also cut of the oval pipe and welded on round ones that are sticking more out (flush with the bumper). When i had all parts and made my desision how i wantet it, it was only a short day of work.

I went with 1.25 inch pipes. The sound is ecsactly what i was looking for on start up. Betwen 2 - 3000 rpm it's alittlebit too mouch, InFact this is where you have most sound. Over 3000 it's reealy good! There is no drone but engine / exhaust sound is in owerall littlebit higher. The more you push the pedal the more sound, drive easy and the sound is not too mouch. It sounds like a real Carrera and propper Porsche!

I think i would have went with 1 inch pipes if i were to do this again. Because you have allot of sound betwen 2 - 3k rpm (also when driving "normal") it sounds like you are going faster then you actually are.

This is my opinion, age 24. I'm also on the hard top now, Winter in Norway so have'nt driven the car top down, only windows down and its a noticable difference, so exited to dive it top Down next summer

Last edited by RedBeauty; 11-09-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #10
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Well done sir. Welding is not easy to teach yourself.

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy pse , exhaust , homemade pse , pse