Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2016, 07:24 AM   #1

Garage
Lessons from Replacing my Ignition Switch

In the hope that others scratching their heads at the same point in the process may find these points of use

Don’t even think of starting this without having a tiny screwdriver. I had difficulty finding one (even tried cutting one down) and got lucky in a hardware store where a customer heard my plight and offered to loan me one out that he had magically in his glove box!

In case you’re wondering, the screws holding the electronics of the switch come out in a downwards direction. Yes, the blob of sealant you see (barely) is the head of the screw.

I did mine both from above and below the dash. Just couldn’t work it otherwise
If you try to remove the vent on the dash the first snag you encounter is taking the knob off the light switch. There is a tiny almost invisible metal tab just below the lip of the knob. I finally figured it out when I saw this post and picture (about 3 pics down):

DIY Head Light Switch Remove and Replace - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

The torx screw that is only accessible when you have the knob off is the same size torx as the other two

When re-installing the switch, attach it to the harness first. The pressure from the harness will keep it from falling out as you try to tighten the set screws

If you remove the snap in cover to the left of the ignition switch, note that it has a top and putting it in upside down will result in a poor fit and not follow the dash contours

If you do go in from the dash, let me know if you were able to reinsert the Phillips screw that holds the “L” shaped duct in the dash. For all the vaunted German engineering, it would have been nice to have some guide posts to help line it up. I finally despaired of ever getting the screw in and just friction fit it to the lower duct and the dash vent

Start to finish (with a hardware store trip in there) was 2.5 hours

Carlos

Last edited by Cbonilla; 08-01-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:35 AM   #2

Thank you for taking the time to post these tedious details.Missing any one of those little "Gotchas" would be a real nuisance.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Thank you for taking the time to post these tedious details.Missing any one of those little "Gotchas" would be a real nuisance.
I agree, thanks. I am big on searching the forum be for I start a project and reading all I can. This will help.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:20 PM   #4

I used a cut down eye glass screw driver. If you pull the driver seat you can lay on your back and see okay. That duct is a bit of a pain but keep at it, youll get it all back
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:14 AM   #5

I used this. The little driver has a light. The driver separates from the tip caddy. It`a about 2.5 ". I removed the vent.
I read where someone had a flex driver. That would be the best tool IMHO.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #6
Project Addicted

I found this to be very effective when doing this job.

1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote