Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2016, 05:29 PM   #1

718 Boxster S - My first drive

Hi everyone. My family and I attended a PCA event today for the local premiere of the new 718 and open house for the brand new Chandler Porsche dealer. The new dealer is a welcome addition to Phoenix area especially since there was only one Porsche dealer in all of the Phoenix area that has a population of over $3.5M. The event itself was really nice with about 200 PCA members attending.

Part of the event was an opportunity to see and test drive the 718. They had two base models and two S models. In person the car looks great. I really like it. The only complaint I have about the looks is the excessive badging. The model designation is easy enough to delete but the Porsche badge based on my inspection will likely need to have the whole piece replaced if you don't like it. I'm sure the aftermarket will come up with something.

As for the test drive. I grabbed a S. Unfortunately all the cars were PDK (the sales guys said they expect the take rate on the manual will be less then 10%) so the level of engagement is less then I'd like in a sports car. In terms of handling the car is pretty awesome and acceleration is pretty impressive. Now for how the car sounds. From the outside revving it in neutral both the base and the S sound pretty good considering it's a turbo 4 cylinder but it's definitely no flat 6. From the inside on the car the sound was disappointing. The S I drive had the sport exhaust which one would expect would add some volume but in my opinion it was pretty quiet and had a bit of a vacuum like sound when you laid into the throttle. You could also tell the speaker mounted at the back was pumping in sound. For me it was disappointing.

In terms of throttle response, there was definitely lag right off of idle. It's not too bad under partial throttle but when you put it to the floor there is a definite half second of nothing and then it comes on. Other then that the power delivery was very linear and it doesn't drop off up top.

For me, I prefer NA flat six so I know what I'm sticking with. We were also there until they opened up and I didn't see a single person sitting with a sales person to make a purchase.

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
You could also tell the speaker mounted at the back was pumping in sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
In terms of throttle response, there was definitely lag right off of idle. ...but when you put it to the floor there is a definite half second of nothing ...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:57 PM   #3

Porsche9, thanks for giving us this first-hand account of your test drive. This is much better information than what's been written by others who haven't even driven one yet.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #4

thstone, I couldn't agree with you more. At first, I was like wait a minute, did I just hear a speaker pumping in sound. I could pick up where the sound was actually coming from and it was clearly not from the engine.

The lag really surprised me in how noticeable it was. Turn the AC on and add a really hot day to it and it will likely get worse. I have a 2016 VW Jetta with the 1.4l TSI motor that I use for commuting and it does the same thing and is really bad with the AC on. I'm willing to tolerate this in a car that I paid $15k for and averages 40 mpg but no way on a $70k sports car.

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote