Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2006, 08:47 AM   #1

987 - 20K Service - Report

To my knowledge, I'm one of the first 987 owners on the board to have the 20K service performed, so I thought I'd post about it.

Minor maintenance: $285 - Expect to pay more, as my dealer provides free oil change/fluids for original customers.

TSB:
W566 - Adding convertible top emergency tool to the vehicle tool kit
W573 - Service Action - retrofitting studs for the engine carrier with caps
W574 - Installing washers on exhaust system bracket clamps

Reprogram: $60 (would imagine this actually takes about 30 seconds)
Daytime Running Lights
Doors to lock at 5 mph

An example of Porsche OBC screwage, as this can both be programmed by the driver on the Merc.

Replace rear tires: My current actual mileage is 18,750 but I'm at the wear bars on the rear which is why I brought it in a little early for service. Fronts still are good with more than 5000 miles of tread still. Tires were $206 apiece for each rear (not bad for the dealer when you factor in shipping and hassle for tirerack, or travel to some place like Wheel Enhancements). Balance Front tires + Perform wheel alignment brings the tire/alignment total to $795.

Grand Total: $1,140.00

The service writer also made the unsolicited comment that the 987s have been fantastic in terms of reliability, which was nice to hear.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 05-31-2006 at 08:52 AM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:04 AM   #2

that seems like a good price and sounds like you had a good experience - hooray!

why the choice to go with daytime running lights? i actually want to figure out how to disable that feature on my wife's subaru. a few weeks ago we flew to detroit from la. we took her subaru and left it in a long term off site parking facility. she had a headlight that had burnt out a few weeks earlier that i hadn't had a chance to change. we were gone for a total of 10 days and when we got back and picked up the car - both headlights were burnt out! i drove the beetle for almost a month with a burnt headlight before i changed it - no probs with the other one (it also has daytime running lights). needless to say, i've never had two headlights burnout on a car. anyway, go figure we pick the car up around 8pm (for those of you not from the left coast - it's dark here even in the summer by 8ish) so i had to drive the 60 miles to our house on soCal freeways with my brights - lovely experience!!! her car is not even 9 months new!!!!

on the other hand, i like the door locking feature post 5 mph - not sure why that's not standard!

btw, the free oil change is that only for orig owners if the car was purchased from that dealer?
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:14 AM   #3

why the choice to go with daytime running lights?

Because I generally drive fast as a mofo and when I come up behind you on the Freeway you're more likely to see me coming (or...I've found I'm more likely to notice someone coming up behind me with headlights on). I've also experienced less of a Miata-factor (cars not seeing me when changing lanes, etc.) when I have the headlights on. End result, I generally turn the headlights on anyway, and now the backs won't be on (or so I believe). YMMV.

the free oil change is that only for orig owners if the car was purchased from that dealer?

Yes, Pioneer does that for those that purchase a new or CPO'ed car. Incidentally, not transferable.

I'm not displeased with the price, although I suspect they may be screwing me on charging @300 for a full alignment, but I haven't had a Porsche alignment performed, so wouldn't really know. Kind of wish they had thrown in the OBC changes pro bono, but that would be undealerly of them.

Incidentally, for those in the SD area, I'm surprised by how much more that Hoehn charges for both service and parts, at least on the inquiries I've made.

06 987S- Sold

05 987 5-speed - Sold

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
Old 05-31-2006, 11:24 AM   #4

just had my 20k service performed, as well. The Porsche network must be pretty thorough, as I had the same little tech bulletins (exhaust washers, conv top tool, etc) pop up and get performed as well. I am still waiting on parts for 3 or so small bulletins, however they are extremely minor (bolts, washers, etc - unbelievable

My grand total: $570.00. I already have new tires on the car at 19,4XX miles.
dezigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:49 PM   #5

Hmm.. I'm around 16,000 miles or so and my tires still look pretty good back there. I'd be surprised if they went much longer though.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
An example of Porsche OBC screwage, as this can both be programmed by the driver on the Merc.
Those can be programmed yourself if you have PCM and Sport Chrono Plus, right?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:00 PM   #7

The option descriptions on the configurator lead me to believe that all you need is Sports Chrono.

So post pick-up: The DRLs turn front and backs on, only the dash lights do not turn on. A minor disappointment which I eventually got over.

The 5 mph locks work as you'd expect; the master-lock button stays permanently lit (unexpected); and the doors require two pulls to open (expected, but still annoying). Not sure why cars with this feature require this, I guess to let the car know you're really serious about exiting the vehicle and not just ************************ around this time !

My alignment showed three very minor adjustments...so basically a bit of a waste. Car's alignment seemed fine to begin with, and there aren't many potholes and such out here in Cali, you just have to look out for the occasional refrigerator, carpet or armoire in the middle of I-5.

Handling seemed slightly better, but it just goes to show ya that even on worn rears the Box has some amazing grip.

06 987S- Sold

05 987 5-speed - Sold

Old 06-01-2006, 05:49 AM   #8

You can program them if you have PCM.
(daytime running lights and door locking)
I know, because I did...

Something really cool is an option that brings your windows down, if you keep holding the lock button on your key.
bolkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:49 AM   #9

is there a website or link that includes the variety of 'programmable' options to both the car and the key fob?
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #10

Quote:
The option descriptions on the configurator lead me to believe that all you need is Sports Chrono.
Nah, I have sport chrono and you can't make any of those adjustments. You need PCM as well. When you order sport chrono with PCM, it becomes "sport chrono plus"
Old 06-01-2006, 01:15 PM   #11

I honestly think that $1,140.00 is a good deal for all that was done. That makes me feel better although I have a good 17.5k to go.

2005 Porsche Boxster
2007 Lexus LS460
2004 Lexus RX
luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
I have PCM , how can you do this?

The window bringing down setup can not be done on PCM. It is done on the computer. I believe its called "comfort" or comfort something. When I was getting delivery of my car, I had chance to connect it to the computer and play with some options. There are so many options, I am sure there are many more cool things.

Take your car to your Porsche dealer and they should be able to enable that trick in a second.

Also, it would be really nice if we had a service manual to see what other options they have...
bolkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:31 AM   #13

I wanted to note that I hadn't changed the oil up to the 20k service interval and the car ran like a champ. Since the oil change, it runs like a champ. I honestly couldn't tell a difference, where in other cars the before and after was noticeable.

I'm not making any sweeping judgements on the oft-debated oil change intervals in the 987, just stating my experience; YMMV.

Regarding dealer computer changes: I did read elsewhere, that the dealer can change the side marker lights, so that they blink with your turn indicators...which would of course make sense.

06 987S- Sold

05 987 5-speed - Sold

Old 06-21-2006, 09:38 AM   #14

$300 wheel alignment?

Did you give them your own specs or was it the factory setting?

If it was to factory spec you paid about double what I paid, and even that
was a bit rich. Call around to speed shops used by the Autocrossers and Track junkies, see what they quote you. Then call the service rep and ask him why you paid allot for a very routine/uncomplicated procedure vs. what a race shop was charging. How many hours @ $90 an hour did the stealership take to do the job?Maybe they will give you a free $200 car wash or something.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-21-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:50 AM   #15
bmussatti

Quote:
Regarding dealer computer changes: I did read elsewhere, that the dealer can change the side marker lights, so that they blink with your turn indicators...which would of course make sense.

I would like this change in programming too, can anyone confirm this option? Thanks!
Old 06-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #16

Allegedly, this is how they're set up in Europe, so it's most definitely a software setting in the computer. Ask your dealer.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:00 PM   #17
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Allegedly, this is how they're set up in Europe, so it's most definitely a software setting in the computer. Ask your dealer.
I asked the dealer today (The Porsche Exchange in the Chicago north shore). They contacted their PCNA Regional Service guy via e-mail. He was not sure about this potential set-up, mainly because the fixture does not have a dual filament bulb. They were going to check into this some more and give me a call.