Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2016, 02:35 AM   #1
IronDeadPool

911 wheels on a Boxster

Just a quick question will 20" 911 wheels fit on a Boxster ( I know it's not recommended ) I'm getting an amazing deal . Friend purchased but doesn't like and want to offload them ASAP

Project IronDeadPool
986ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:13 AM   #2

Front will. Rear, perhaps, if not the 11" wide porsche wheel. Could be wrong but I think we max 10" on the rear of those cars. Mind you I've never tried a 11"... I just can't see it fitting too well (and I have spacers on my rear 10").
Old 07-13-2016, 06:47 AM   #3
IronDeadPool

Thanks @nine8six

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project IronDeadPool
986ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:52 AM   #4

The wheel diameter is the least of the 3 variables you need to consider. The other 2 are offset and wheel width. These 2 #s are found by the valve stem. With offset & width info, you can use a calculator like the link to determine how your 'new' wheels will sit compared to your existing ones (you need the same info on your current wheels).

https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

In most cases, a 911 front wheel will work on a 986 but the 911 rear will need a wildly big spacer to make it clear on the inside. Then it will be pushed too far out and create clearance issues on the outside.

The biggest factory diameter wheel on a 986 was 18". Most guys ask about using 18" 911 wheels. Think you're the first to ask about 20s. You may run into issues with suspension components with 20s. I wouldn't recommend going that big or using a 911 wheel. Research before you buy an expensive set of lawn ornaments.

Do a search on offset to read up on it. There are LOTS of threads with your same question.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote