Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #1

Please help adjust top and clam shell

So I haven't made an official thread yet but I got another one. 2004s. Part of my negotiation was the issue with the top. Owner claims he replaced it and if like the rest of the self repairs he's done. Has no F*cking clue as to what he was doing.

Anyways. Let's start with the clamshell. The passenger side of my clam sits about 3/8" lower than my rear quarter panel. Therefore when my top is down the drivers side is raised 3/8" above the quarter panel.
I checked Mike fockes page and he makes mention of a black plastic clip to squeeze. I don't have this on my car.

Secondly, my roof. 1) when top is down and I want to raise and close the roof. It binds against the roll bar and does not raise unless I push it off the roll bar. 2) the gap between the window frame and the front of the top is significant before and after its latched shut. I wouldn't go through a car wash tho driving I have no wind noise. 3) the middle of the roof on left and right sides above the windows is overlapped gaped or uneven. It's just out of adjustment. Can upload pics if needed

GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #2

Pics would definitely help diagnose the issues.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:39 PM   #3

If he replaced it then maybe he replaced the top on the frame.. Like I did. It's a great thing if done properly but it's easy to mess up if you don't mark to ensure the new frame goes on well. The frame has 6 bolts and if it's not installed correctly it will hit your roll bar or windscreen between the roll bars. What you are describing sounds like he didn't align it properly so I suggest you loosen up the six bolts that hold the frame and adjust it. Unfortunately I don't know how exactly, maybe do trial and error. Once adjusted you will need to align it on each side. Look for Pelicans article on how to do that, it's pretty good and helped me adjust mine. But start with the fitting of the fram3, I bet most of the problems are because of that.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_G20 View Post
So I haven't made an official thread yet but I got another one. 2004s. Part of my negotiation was the issue with the top. Owner claims he replaced it and if like the rest of the self repairs he's done. Has no F*cking clue as to what he was doing.

Anyways. Let's start with the clamshell. The passenger side of my clam sits about 3/8" lower than my rear quarter panel. Therefore when my top is down the drivers side is raised 3/8" above the quarter panel.
I checked Mike fockes page and he makes mention of a black plastic clip to squeeze. I don't have this on my car.

Secondly, my roof. 1) when top is down and I want to raise and close the roof. It binds against the roll bar and does not raise unless I push it off the roll bar. 2) the gap between the window frame and the front of the top is significant before and after its latched shut. I wouldn't go through a car wash tho driving I have no wind noise. 3) the middle of the roof on left and right sides above the windows is overlapped gaped or uneven. It's just out of adjustment. Can upload pics if needed
Did you fix the top misalignment? Any photos before and after? I have same problem on my boxster but very minor. Rt side front of the clam shell.cov. top rear cover when top is full open the clam shell rt front is roughly I say about 1/4" down to the quarter panel. I have no idea how to adjust to raise that up so it is even with the quarter panel . Been searching on this forum & you tube but no luck.

JOC IN IL is offline   Reply With Quote