Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2006, 09:15 AM   #1

Zimmerman Rotors from 986online.com

I ordered a set of Boxster S rotors from the forum sponsors 986online.com assuming they were original Porsche ones. They turned out to be Zimmerman's instead.

There were some concerns on renntech.com (http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9281) regarding these rotors so I'm now worried. I just hope they fit to start with and doesn't crack soon.

Personally, I think they could've been more upfront and state that they were Zimmerman's on their website.

Anyone has experience with these rotors?

Last edited by clubhead; 05-19-2006 at 09:19 AM.
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:13 AM   #2

Have you communicated directly with them? I suggest that.

Good luck!

BTW-if a vendor does not state OEM, I always assume aftermarket.

That's just me!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:54 PM   #3

We anticipated this confusion and described in detail on our website what the differences are regarding the different rotors, including the differences between Zimmerman and OEM

http://www.epiqautosport.com/mode/products/prid/221/1140

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:56 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Can anyone tell exactly what the differences are between the Zimmerman rotors and OEM rotors. If I were not to track the car would I notice a difference? How long do the Zimmerman rotors last compared to the OEM?
Old 05-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIQTodd
We anticipated this confusion and described in detail on our website what the differences are regarding the different rotors, including the differences between Zimmerman and OEM

I just read your site materials. Seemed perfectly clear to me that you are selling Zimmerman rotors, not OEM Porsche rotors.

Nice job!

Old 05-19-2006, 07:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Can anyone tell exactly what the differences are between the Zimmerman rotors and OEM rotors. If I were not to track the car would I notice a difference? How long do the Zimmerman rotors last compared to the OEM?
As we describe on our site, the Zimmerman rotors essentially ARE the OEM but the OEM rotors have a painted hat. That and about $25.

2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:04 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Thank you for explaining this to me. I will have to keep you mind when I plan on doing my rotors in the next year or so.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:56 PM   #8

Quote:
As we describe on our site, the Zimmerman rotors essentially ARE the OEM but the OEM rotors have a painted hat. That and about $25.

What is the source/proof of this statement???
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Have you communicated directly with them? I suggest that.

No, I'm not terribly concerned that it's not an original part from Porsche. Reason why I'm posting is to let everyone know that they're not selling the original but Zimmerman ones, which may or may not work just as well as the original.

I just felt it would be fairer to everyone if they had listed that down instead of not stating anything.

I do track my car but it's like twice a year kinda thing so am sure it'll stand up to the use..... or so I hope.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:34 AM   #10

Quote:

Hmmmm.... that's not what I've been reading at http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=261194&highlight=zimmermann

Care to clarify?
Old 05-20-2006, 09:46 AM   #11

Hi,

Zimmerman is the OEM Supplier to Porsche, but it is my understanding that the ones on the Aftermarket are not the same as those supplied to Porsche and the difference goes deeper than just a painted Hat. There have been some reports of issues with the Aftermarket discs, how definite these are I don't know...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhead
Hmmmm.... that's not what I've been reading at http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=261194&highlight=zimmermann

Care to clarify?
I just read the post you referenced. It seems that there is a difference of opinion on the Zimmerman issue.

Lets let Todd address thsi before we attack, shall we?

Old 05-20-2006, 10:06 AM   #13

"Zimmermann rotors are similar to genuine Porsche and do have the drilled holes. They are an option for the front rotors only.

The main difference between genuine Porsche and Zimmermann is that the Porsche parts have painted hats for corrosion protection. In order to get similar protection, you will have to paint the hats on the Zimmermann rotors yourself."

From Todd's site.

Note the reference to "similar", not identical.

I see nowhere on his site that he states that these rotors come from Porsche nor are they making them FOR Porsche.

Am I missing something here?

Old 05-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #14

Guys - Bruce Lee is correct, we have on the site 'similar', not 'the same' - in the post above, I said 'essentially the same' (same size, design, construction, hole pattern, etc.), but again, not 'exactly' as in the same as the OEM. We have been told that Zimmerman is the supplier for Porsche rotors, and have also been told that they are not - Porsche apparently is not crystal clear about this information, as I would imagine since they like branding everything themselves to retain a higher profit margin, they don't want everybody to know what the manufacturer is and go around them.

Brake pads are made by a number of manufacturers, so my assumption is that Zimmerman may make SOME of the rotors, but not all, for Porsche. If you want true OEM, we and most places sell them and should be listed as such just as we do.

I'm not sure how it turned into an attack on us, as we didn't sell the rotors listed as OEM that are not, but I guess that's how the thread turns...

2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

Old 05-20-2006, 04:42 PM   #15

Clubhead.

Suggest you re-read your post and re-visit Todd's site.

The key word here is ASSUME, which you did. The site is clear (at least to me) that as to what the rotors are, and are not.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhead
I ordered a set of Boxster S rotors from the forum sponsors 986online.com assuming they were original Porsche ones. They turned out to be Zimmerman's instead.

There were some concerns on renntech.com (http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9281) regarding these rotors so I'm now worried. I just hope they fit to start with and doesn't crack soon.

Personally, I think they could've been more upfront and state that they were Zimmerman's on their website.

Anyone has experience with these rotors?

Old 05-20-2006, 05:06 PM   #16

Yikes! This is a confusing thread to read. Clubhead starts the thread saying that he bought Zimmerman rotors from 986online. EpiqTodd, of Epiq Autosport (not 986online), responds that his company website provides information regarding Zimmerman versus genuine Porsche rotors. When I look at the Epiq Autosport website, it seems to me that Epiq carries both the genuine Porsche rotors and the Zimmerman rotors.

I think EpiqTodd and Epiq Autosport are innocent bystanders in this thread and EpiqTodd is only "guilty" of providing more information regarding Zimmerman and genuine Porsche rotors.

Last edited by 98Boxster98; 05-20-2006 at 05:23 PM. Reason: typo
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Boxster98
Yikes! This is a confusing thread to read. Clubhead starts the thread saying that he bought Zimmerman rotors from 986online. EpiqTodd, of Epiq Autosport (not 986online), responds that his company website provides information regarding Zimmerman versus genuine Porsche rotors. When I look at the Epiq Autosport website, it seems to me that Epiq carries both the genuine Porsche rotors and the Zimmerman rotors.

I think EpiqTodd and Epiq Autosport are innocent bystanders in this thread and EpiqTodd is only "guilty" of providing more information regarding Zimmerman and genuine Porsche rotors.
I guess I need to be sure not to reveal any more information on confusing product threads in the future...wow.

2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

Old 05-21-2006, 06:24 AM   #18

Me too!

Sorry!

Old 05-21-2006, 06:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Clubhead.

Suggest you re-read your post and re-visit Todd's site.

The key word here is ASSUME, which you did. The site is clear (at least to me) that as to what the rotors are, and are not.

Thanks.
My problem was NEVER with Todd's site. It was with 986online.com. And I wouldn't even call it a problem, just a concern like I've mentioned before.

In my response to Todd, I was merely asking him to clarify his statement "...the Zimmerman rotors essentially ARE the OEM" as that's not what I've been reading from rennlist.com. So I don't know why am I interpreted as 'attacking' Todd??!!

Yes, I assumed the rotors sold on 986online.com are original OEM Porsche ones which turned out to be Zimmerman's instead. I'm just highlighting this fact to anyone else who may be considering them from 986online.com. I don't see a problem in that... Anyway, the site you're referring to is different from what I was referring to. That..... is the main problem.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:00 AM   #20

Brought the discs to my mechanic today and guess what, the pair of discs are both for the right hand side??!! And that was after taking out the wheels and calipers. And it's indicated clearly in the invoice that it's a left/right pair...

Oh well, now I gotta spend muchos money to send 1 discs all the way back to US. Thank goodness my wife's returning to Philadelphia so at least she can carry back the replacement.

Anyway, does anyone know the effect of installing a right discs on the left and vice versa? I guess cooling will be affected as the vanes are facing the other way. Other than that, no big deal right? Not that I'm going to do that