Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #1

Accident

Hello all. I'm in a quandary. My car was hit last night and I don't know which direction to go. 01 Boxster S, 98k miles. The estimate came in @ $4800 to repair. My insurance will cover it (Idiot at fault doesn't have insurance) but I'm asking myself if I want to repair it or sell it for parts. If repaired, I'll have a 15 yo Porsche with nearly 100k miles and 2 accidents on the Carfax. (Title is not nor will be salvage) The shop also says they may have to cut out & replace that corner panel, which concerns me as I think the structural integrity of the car will be compromised. If I choose to sell the car, I'm not sure what its worth. It's a fairly loaded car, PSM, Litronics, Full leather. The IMS/RMS was done @ 66k as well as the AOS, oil changes every 5k etc, etc. Mechanically, it was strong and still purrs, the only car out of 4 to drive away after the accident...sturdy little beast! I've been thinking about replacing it with a 987 before this happened, but I really do love the car. We've been through summer thunderstorms in Montana, Eiskanah in Colorado, spirited drives up to Mt Lemmon here in Tucson...sigh...sad to see it end this way. Any guidance on what to do, how to sell it as well as the cars value would be much appreciated.

Attached Images

Last edited by speaklow; 06-25-2016 at 07:32 PM. Reason: add pics
speaklow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:38 PM   #2

Let the Insurance total it and buy it back at salvage value..Get a 4 wheel realignment .Get a superficial repair.Drive it till it drops !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:49 PM   #3

Garage
That rear panel is very expensive to fix and the estimate is likely less than the cars worth. Let them total it, maybe buy it back and sell off the litronics for a few thousand and the interior bits and such and that should be a nice move in the direction of a 987.

Or buy it back and drive the heck out of it
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:59 PM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
It never ceases to amaze me what a good body shop can do with a rack. The old guy, who remembers working on cars when they had frames, can work miracles on a dent like that. Keep the pups with a plasma cutter away from it. If you can't find the right shop in Tucson, maybe ask for a referral in Phoenix?

I vote you give it a shot. It has to be worth more cleaned up than parted out. And a whole lot less work for you? Best of luck.

P.S. I came within 6" of disaster last weekend on my favorite twisty. The idiot was on my side coming around a blind turn. I swear the Porsche brakes saved me.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:36 PM   #5

If you really want a 987, this would be a good time to get some $$ for a down payment. I would fix it up if I were in your shoes though. Take the $4800 and then shop around for someone cheaper. The cheaper shop will probably just pull the dent out and bondo the hell out of. At this point does it really matter if has a bunch of bondo on the body? It will have 100,000 soon with two accidents on it's record. Get it back on the road and have fun beating the tar out of it!
FYI, parting these things out takes a lot longer than you would think. Some parts sell quick on an S but the rest will takes months to sell. With 100k miles most of the suspension and interior goes in the garbage. The most you'll make parting it out will be $7-8
Old 06-25-2016, 10:15 PM   #6

Hello,

the problem here is that this is not an easy fix if you want a good result, because of the rounded lines from the rear to the door. You can try to pull it out, but it is very very hard to get that fit exaclty, because of the round shape of the door, the inner door and the outside of the body plank. Also the intake/vent area is problematic, because the metal is "folded".

The question is also if the lines of the rear fender are correct or if the fender is closer to the tunk lid and convertible top case now. That could be a structural problem.

Structure of the door seems to be OK from the photo.

So the correct way would be to replace the rear right part completely.

Maybe you can find somebody who will replace it with a used body plank from a donor car.

Maybe you can find an older car body builder or a car restaurator who will try to fix it by pulling. But it will be time consuming and this repair will afford a kind of a patient metal artist.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #7

Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations. It helped me to not feel so defeated. The first quote I got was from the Tucson Porsche dealers body shop. I think I'll get a few more quotes as well as speak to them more in depth about the specifics of this undertaking. I think if I know more about the repair process, I will feel more secure. Basically, I think its irrelevant about it losing more value with 2 accidents, since at this point, it's an old car and not worth a great deal of money. I'm too particular to have it not fixed properly, so I'm more than likely going to roll the dice and have it repaired. For now, I've parked him backwards in the carport, so he looks much better!
speaklow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:42 PM   #8
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Glad to hear you are going to give it a go. Please post updates as you go through the process. I'm sure we can all learn from your situation.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:27 AM   #9

Garage
BAM!

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #10

Good simple tools but they only work for light panel damage. They are not effective on structural members like the door frame.
If you look at the door frame construction in cross-section you will see a very complex,multi-layered part. The pulling technique for that repair is very different. It would certainly require heat and a "Frame Straightener" .But that is the very old school method. Pro Shops no longer use that technique because the Insurance cos won't approve the repair.
Even if you did pull it,it would need lots of Bondo - more old school stuff that isn't much used anymore. And after the Bondo, trying to restore the shut lines and prevent wind noise would be difficult. It would be a weak repair at best because of the stresses there. New panel required if it is an Insurance job..
Old 06-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #11

There are many really good body shops that will fix that damage. Look for a shop that does high end cars. I am not saying you shouldn't keep the money and sell as is if you want a newer car but I don't subscribe to the idea that that hit can't be repaired properly. Just my 2 cents
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #12

Yes, it can be repaired.
But to repair that door frame to meet Insurance Co. standards will be very expensive relative to the value of this specific car-unfortunately.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:01 AM   #13

Get the ins co to total the car. Beat them up on the offer. Everything is negotiable. Go to the most expesive body shop and gdt an estimate and convince them to total it. If they agree then go on nada or kbb and use the highest values to negogiate the value of the car.

I totalled mine a few months ago and my jns co paid me $ 11,500.00 for a car that I paid $ 7500.00 4 years ago. Do not be sentimental about fixing the car. Your car is not unique. These cars are fungible and are a dime a dozen. I just bought a replacement 04 for $ 8700.00. Probably over paid but Im still way ahead in the amount Ive invested in boxsters.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:07 AM   #14

O/P/ = a better idea - appoint "san rensho" as your negotiating agent !
An '04 for $8700 - how bad is it?
That makes an '02 S with accident history and damage worth about $2000 !
I'm totally upside down!
"I totalled mine a few months ago and my jns co paid me $ 11,500.00 for a car that I paid $ 7500.00 4 years ago. Do not be sentimental about fixing the car. Your car is not unique. These cars are fungible and are a dime a dozen. I just bought a replacement 04 for $ 8700.00. Probably over paid but Im still way ahead in the amount Ive invested in boxsters."

Last edited by Gelbster; 06-27-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:21 AM   #15

Sorry about your misfortune but you have a few options, and theres also the added "Dimished Value" that you should bring up to the insurance folks. Perhaps with previous accident it may not help much though.

So these folks could afford a newish accord but not the insurance?

So if the police are doing their job I presume the driver lost his Driving license for a year, the car was impounded and the Driver thrown in Jail till the Judge could set his bail?
Yeah right!

I hate it when people don't play by the rules at the expense of those that do. We have to pay insurance for our own mistakes, plus added premiums to cover those idiots that don't have insurance and probably need it more than us responsible folks.

:grumble: :troll:
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:26 AM   #16

Solution - fit front/rear wide-angle dash cam.That video evidence will often decide the case in the absence of witnesses .
Old 06-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post

So these folks could afford a newish accord but not the insurance?

I hate it when people don't play by the rules at the expense of those that do. We have to pay insurance for our own mistakes, plus added premiums to cover those idiots that don't have insurance and probably need it more than us responsible folks.
Yep...amazes me how many uninsured drivers there are on the roads
billh1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #18

Garage
1st question is He needs to pay something I don't care that he has no ins. File a lean on his house if he cant pay something. Even 150 a month but something. Next that's not a bad dent I bet and good shop can repair that and paint that side for around 3K or less. Id get it repaired and drive the car as other have stated its just a used car with little value. The S would bring about 2-3K more but still just used cars. Fix it drive it until you cant . I know guys with 200K mi on the Boxsters and never did the IMS! With the IMS who knows! Heck today I needed my security computer (Immobilizer) replaced and 2 matching keys for my 03 S and that was 1500 at the dealer that's 20% of the value of your car! Again fix it, drive it, done.
Jim
Rufcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #19

I would get it fixed and enjoy it some more. If you really want a 987, then get it fixed and trade it in. The dealer would just wholesale it anyway.

Old Boxsters aren't worth much value wise, but you've got history with this one and it's got a lot of life left in it.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufcar View Post
1st question is He needs to pay something I don't care that he has no ins. File a lean on his house if he cant pay something. Even 150 a month but something.
If he can't afford car insurance it's very unlikely that he owns a home. People who own a home have something to lose and therefore have insurance. This lemon can't be squeezed anymore and going after him for money is a waste of time. He should be at least fined/required to do community service and have his driver's license taken away.

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote