Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: Poll: What is your or your friend's salary that owns a Boxster?
Yearly Salary: $0 to $30k 2 2.63%
Yearly Salary: $30k to $40k 2 2.63%
Yearly Salary: $40k to $50k 2 2.63%
Yearly Salary: $50k to $60k 0 0%
Yearly Salary: $60k to $70k 6 7.89%
Yearly Salary: $70k to $80k 7 9.21%
Yearly Salary: $80k to $90k 4 5.26%
Yearly Salary: $90k to $110k 12 15.79%
Yearly Salary: $110k to $150k 5 6.58%
Yearly Salary: $150k+ 21 27.63%
Override salary: Got the Boxster as a gift or didn't have to pay for it. 2 2.63%
I do not nor my friends do not own a Boxster. 2 2.63%
I do not wish to answer. 11 14.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2006, 05:38 AM   #1

Poll: What is your or your friend's salary that owns a Boxster?

Poll: What is your or your friend's salary that owns a Boxster?

Just so we can help keep this anonymous: if you or a friend owns a Boxster, what is your or his/her salary?

If you or your friend is married, go ahead and include the combined income.

If you or your friend is at a borderline salary (say $50k), pick the higher salary range ($50k to $60k).

The purpose of this thread? For fun, out of curiosity, stereotyping, demographics...?

Last edited by haulin79; 05-29-2006 at 09:07 AM.
haulin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:20 AM   #2

I find it ironic that there is an option "I do not wish to answer." Or maybe that'd be a paradox?

I would encourage others not to answer this question/poll.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:03 AM   #3

WTF??? Purpose of Thread?

Haulin79,

You claim "The purpose of this thread? For fun, out of curiosity, stereotyping, demographics...?" What's "fun" about sharing my salary with a bunch of people on a website? Why would anyone want to further "stereotyping"? Now, "demographics" certainly makes sense if you are attempting to provide support to the site by becoming a sponsor, but if that were the case then I'd hope you'd have mentioned it in your post.

I hope everyone questions your motivation for this poll - you joined this site on May 21, 2006, you don't own a porsche, you haven't asked for any help in purchasing a porsche and this is your FIRST and ONLY post. In addition, you might want to avoid polls that are sexist and imply women do not own boxsters - "his salary"?
99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:11 AM   #4

I assume you selected "I do not wish to answer. " haha. Everybody else if free to answer correctly or even lie...nobody is checking. I am not W. Bush recording your keystrokes (although he might be).

I appologize for not adding "her". I am Chinese and in the Chinese language, there is no distinction between "his" and "hers" and "he" and "she". It is a very unsexist language.

I have been reading the 986 boards extensively and have not had the need to ask a question. Because the board knowledge is so vast and with the almighty search function I have been able to find answers to all my questions thus far.

Those that are curious about the board demographics are free to look at the results, those that think this information should be private are welcome to close their eyes before they see the pretty colored poll bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Boxster
Haulin79,

You claim "The purpose of this thread? For fun, out of curiosity, stereotyping, demographics...?" What's "fun" about sharing my salary with a bunch of people on a website? Why would anyone want to further "stereotyping"? Now, "demographics" certainly makes sense if you are attempting to provide support to the site by becoming a sponsor, but if that were the case then I'd hope you'd have mentioned it in your post.

I hope everyone questions your motivation for this poll - you joined this site on May 21, 2006, you don't own a porsche, you haven't asked for any help in purchasing a porsche and this is your FIRST and ONLY post. In addition, you might want to avoid polls that are sexist and imply women do not own boxsters - "his salary"?

Last edited by haulin79; 05-29-2006 at 01:41 PM.
haulin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:02 AM   #5

Exclamation

I Think this is none of your business.
I think you want to know to much too soon?
boxtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:33 AM   #6

At least take me out for a dinner and movie before asking the "big" question...
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:47 AM   #7

exclusivity

Ferrari owners top the 300k? I figured half thier pay is for repairing their F car.

:dance:
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:25 AM   #8

Can we delete this STUPID thread (posted by someone with, based on the lack of subsequent posts, dubious intentions)?

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:09 AM   #9

I agree this poll is excessively intrusive.
That said, the customer profile, including income, is closely tracked by Porsche, as it is by all manufacturers.

This from Wendelin Wiedeking, Porsche CEO, from an interview by Business Week at the Detroit Auto Show in '01.

"The Porsche customer has always been [relatively] young. [In the U.S.] the typical 911 buyer is 46 to 65, average age 52. Household income: $310,000. The Boxster buyer is 36 to 55, with an average age of 47 [and] an average income of $243,000. [Buyers are] entrepreneurs, doctors. If the economy comes down, the customer base will be much more stable than in the past."

This is (was) the profile of a new-car Porsche buyer, of course.
No idea what the % of new-car vs used car buyer is on this forum, but I expect used car buyers predominate by a wide margin. Thus the avg income of an owner is doubtless considerably lower.
Frankly, I was stunned that the avg income of a new Boxster buyer was almost a quarter of a million bucks.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #10
creseida

You have no choice for me: I am a self made gazillionaire.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #11

What this poll cannot show is household income relative to location which makes it silly for an additional reason to add to the pile.

$150k a year doesn't go very far in San Diego, California and goes absolutely nowhere in Tokyo or Singapore where a couple of fine forum members live and work.

I am glad to see a bunch of members doing well for themselves though. You are all fine people and I think everyone should get a 200% increase in salary this very minute based on your forum participation and love for Boxsters.

... oh yeah, creseida, I was wondering if I could borrow a couple of bucks until I get my paycheck...

:dance:

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 06-08-2006 at 11:41 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #12

I agree to an extent, Randall. That $150k won't go as far in San Diego if you have to buy a house as compared to Lincoln, Nebr, BUT the cost of a loaf of bread, or a Porsche is pretty much the same both places.

The figures Wiedeking was quoting were for the US market, however.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:55 PM   #13
creseida

no problemo!
Old 06-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #14

Ronzi...

You are correct. Bread and Boxsters probably have similar prices in both places.

However, I'm thinking that if I lived in San Diego, all my salary would go for a tiny house (or 2 bedroom condo ) and all I could afford to park in front of that house is a used Honda Civic with a fart can muffler (or a three speed bike with an ace card clothes pinned to the back to make that Harley sound). But in Nebraska, I could have a big house and a nice boxster... sans the nice weather year round in which to enjoy that Boxster, of course!

That sun tax down there in SD is outrageous, forcing people to make car choices they wouldn't have to make living elsewhere. That's my point.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #15
creseida

As has been said, cost of living, home prices and median wages can really vary from place to place, and what is a fortune in one place can be poverty elsewhere.

A friend of mine just purchased a home north of Dallas for $140k. Nice brick family-type home on 1/2 acre in a nice neighbourhood. He was saying how he could not see spending more than $150k on a house, as that was insane, and completely unnecessary. His $60k/yr salary goes quite far since he only has a $1000/month mortgage.

I told him that if he lived near me, he wouldn't have a choice and could probably not afford to buy. 1BR 1BA Condos are right close to $300k, and they're in the seedier areas, too. The median price of homes is nearly $700k. If you aren't making 6 figures, you aren't buying a home. It's why there are no stay at home mom's in this area; you need two incomes just to get by.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:54 AM   #16

I make eleventy billion. This thread is teh R00Xor!!111!!11

986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote