Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #1

Speaker box on door

What is that large plastic black box the door speakers attach to for? I am trying to figure out if rs panels are even possible without disrupting the sound system. Any suggestions? I would rather just buy if someone makes.

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
Crib

Garage
Well, it is what you say. A speaker box.

Improves the sound drastically when the air behind the driver is controlled/confined to a certain volume.

Compare with regular speakers for an indoor stereo that don't only have the drivers hanging lose in the air.
Crib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #3

Does the leather airbag cover come off the panel without destroying it? Does it just pop into the panel, can it be popped out?
Old 06-21-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
The leather air bag panel is plastic welded to the rest of the panel. I can take a few pics of the inside of the panel when i get home from work in an hour or so. Let me know if you want the pics.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:16 PM   #5
Known Gearhead

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
What is that large plastic black box the door speakers attach to for? I am trying to figure out if rs panels are even possible without disrupting the sound system. Any suggestions? I would rather just buy if someone makes.
Don't mess with the speaker resonance box inside the door. Even a small hole drilled into it will wreck the sound. (Had to fix previous owner's mistake in mine.) If you mount a bare speaker in the door panel without any acoustic treatment inside the door panel, all sorts of strange buzzes and unintended frequency emphasis will occur somewhat randomly.

If you really want to mount a larger speaker and discard the plastic resonance box, secure all loose parts and wires in the door and build your own sealed enclosure using acoustic mat and silicone sealant. Then, you'll have to experiment to get the right size vent hole into the cabin from that sealed enclosure. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #6

A picture would be great. Do you think the air bag cover could be removed and then put back at a later date?

I am thinking about making an rs panel and the things that would seem to make it tricky are the speaker box and the airbag. I would like to just move the airbag cover from one to the other. For the speaker box, I do not think there are any other options besides cutting out the panel so the speaker box is visible. Might look dumb though. Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:25 AM   #7

Garage
I think the airbag cover is kind of welded in the plastic. If I remember there were several tabs that were melted to the inner panel of the door. I would think you could cut the welds carefully with a dremel then figure some way of attaching to the new door panel. I had a damaged door panel I threw out, if I had it you could have experimented on it.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:38 AM   #8
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage

Old 06-23-2016, 03:27 AM   #9

Thanks Tommy.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:58 AM   #10

With all the stuff pertuding out from the actual door, is an RS door panel even possible without gutting the door. Probably why no one makes one.

Seems like there is too much stuff sticking out beyond the surface of the actual door. I am guessing, but is that black plastic box at the bottom of the door with the initials on it the window motor? Is that within the door or sticking out? Looks like it is sticking out.

Thanks again,

David
Old 06-23-2016, 05:43 AM   #11
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
With all the stuff pertuding out from the actual door, is an RS door panel even possible without gutting the door. Probably why no one makes one.

Seems like there is too much stuff sticking out beyond the surface of the actual door. I am guessing, but is that black plastic box at the bottom of the door with the initials on it the window motor? Is that within the door or sticking out? Looks like it is sticking out.

Thanks again,

David
David,
Are you talking about the pictures I posted? They are of the back side of the door panel, not the door itself. If you are then the black plastic thing with the initials is the back side of the door storage pocket. The actual door doesn't really have anything sticking out from the frame besides the speaker box. And that mostly fits inside the door.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:46 AM   #12
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage

This is what the actual inside of the door looks like when you take off the door panel. The pics I posted before are of the back of the door panel. I hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:30 AM   #13

Box

That plastic speaker box is only important if you are keeping the stock little woofer, if you are upgrading your door speakers then is not that important, I have 6x9's on the doors with a trimmed plastic box and they sound amazing (of course I don't have the stock amp or head unit)
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:09 AM   #14

Thanks guys. I was looking at it incorrectly. So the airbag is actually inside the door, not sticking out? I am ok with cutting a hole in the panel for the speaker box.

The only issues I see are how good my cuts will be for the speaker box and airbag.

Attaching the airbag cover to the panel

If necessary, how to make the top edge that runs along the window look presentable. The old 911's had an cover that went over or abutted the top of the panel.

Connecting the pull to the existing interior door handle mechanism.

Figure these out, RS door panel will be possible.