Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2016, 06:54 PM   #1

Airbag Light On - Time to buy a Durametric

Washed the Boxster and took it out for a drive this afternoon. About a half mile down the road the airbag light came on. Great. I just completed an hour of reading prior post on the airbag light here and on other forums. Bottom line is I need a tool to diagnose what is causing the fault and a tool to reset the warning light - a Durametric fits bill. I emailed them to see if they had any refurbished units available for sale and they don't. So, $301.22 including shipping for the enthusiast model; or, I could find a used one and save some money .. or, wait for them to have a refurbished unit for sale. Not sure what I'll do yet. Oh, and this thread played in to my decision.... thanks for that!

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/61431-how-many-have-durametric.html

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:30 AM   #2

There is one for sale over on Rennlist for $200 with 2 VINs remaining:

Durametric Cable - Rennlist Discussion Forums
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:56 AM   #3

Last time my airbag light came on it was a sticky seat belt receptacle release. The passenger side unit was half way depressed.

You'll appreciate your durametric when crap like this happens in the future. The durametric tool told me it was the passenger seat belt receptacle and I looked down and saw it had not sprung back up into the normal position.

It shows a lot of other stuff that I don't understand, but it's good to know it's there when I need it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #4

Garage
I think I need to bite the bullet and get one soon. 2 months after I bought the car I was playing with the passenger side belt and the light came on. I replaced the receptacle and lived with the light on for the next 3 years. When I brought it to the shop a couple months ago, I had them reset it for me and for 24 hours I got to drive without the light until it came back on again. You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but not really.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
There is one for sale over on Rennlist for $200 with 2 VINs remaining:

Durametric Cable - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Cool, thanks. One of my concerns is getting the latest version. Below is a history of the versions, their numbers and what changes were made. If I buy a 5.xxx can it be upgraded it to a 6.xxx version. Or, an early 6.xxx to the latest 6.5.2.0 version?

Porsche Diagnostic Software Version History | Durametric

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
I think I need to bite the bullet and get one soon. 2 months after I bought the car I was playing with the passenger side belt and the light came on. I replaced the receptacle and lived with the light on for the next 3 years. When I brought it to the shop a couple months ago, I had them reset it for me and for 24 hours I got to drive without the light until it came back on again. You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but not really.
Before I got my Durametric, I considered putting some black electrical tape over the lit icon... I cannot stand to see idiot lights on the dash illuminated.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Cool, thanks. One of my concerns is getting the latest version. Below is a history of the versions, their numbers and what changes were made. If I buy a 5.xxx can it be upgraded it to a 6.xxx version. Or, an early 6.xxx to the latest 6.5.2.0 version?

I think the "new" version of the cable is compatible with all of the software versions. The "old" version of the cable is only compatible with the old software. This cable looks like the new one (it looks just like mine). I thought there was a page on the durametric site that talked about the old cable and how to tell the difference and when they switched over to the new cable but I can't find it. Since the v6 software came out late 2009/early 2010 I would imagine that any cables sold in the last 5-6 years are the new cables.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:40 AM   #8

This KB article shows how to tell if it is a new v6 cable, looks like the one on RL is:

https://portal.teamsupport.com/knowledgebase.aspx?organizationid=9604&ArticleID=113979&TicketType=Ticket
Old 06-22-2016, 07:42 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Before I got my Durametric, I considered putting some black electrical tape over the lit icon... I cannot stand to see idiot lights on the dash illuminated.
haha..... so funny. I've done it since I've owned the box. But instead of electrical tape, I have a page of smile stickers in the perfect circle that will cover the airbag light, and just spray painted it black.
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL

Last edited by Dubaday; 06-22-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post

If you purchase a version 5 cable, you would have to send it to Durametric to have them upgrade it to version 6, so you are better off getting a 6 to begin with. The software is updated several times a year, but the updates are free.