Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #1

Question Should I trade in my Boxster for a Cayman?

Personally, I don't think this is a tough decision, but for some reason, I'm struggling and need some advice.

I just finished completely reworking my 2000 Boxster base. I bought it in January for 10K with 67K miles. It was a California car in fantastic shape. I just finished a long list of upgrades. to include IMS, RMS, AOS, Clutch, Flywheel, water pump, belt, thermostat, idler pulleys, spark plugs and tubes, chain tensioners, wheel bearings, crankshaft position sensor, and a few other odds and ends. Bottom line: spent an additional $8 grand to bring it up to speed. And I absolutely love driving it.

Here's the issue: we live in the northeast, and as such, I wanted to get a second car to drive in the winter. Something cheap and reliable, like a used Honda Fit or Kia Soul for around $12-13k that I could beat around in when the weather stinks instead of subjecting my baby to the salt and sand. The second car would also double as my Home Depot/grocery hauler.

To complicate the issue, we were at a PCA event a couple of weeks ago and my wife talked to a guy who had a Cayman. He said he drove it year around with no problem. He mounted snow tires in the winter, and the car was a virtual snowmobile...never had a problem, even in fairly deep snow.

So lovely wife thinks I should have a Cayman, and thus would not need a second car. And lo and behold, the local Porsche dealer just informed us that he has a nice 2006 Cayman with 45K miles, just arrived, for $26k, and wants us to have the first chance to buy.

My gut says no. First of all, the 2006 still has the IMS issue, and it's even harder to resolve as you have to split the engine case. Second, I just restored my Boxster to like-new condition, and would be throwing away a lot of money as the dealer would most likely offer nothing more than auction price of around $8k.

So what do you guys think? Please help. Also: do I have the best wife in the world or what?

Last edited by Need_for_speed; 06-10-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Well, after 10 years in the Boxster I made the switch to a 987.2 Cayman. Very nice car, more refined interior, modern electronics, hard top. Is it more fun to drive than my Boxster? Nope!

Your choice. Trade to the 987 and roll the dice it will be as nice as your Boxster, or just get a removable hard top for those winter months in the great white north. Trunk storage is about the same either way.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:41 PM   #3

Hi,

what i think: don't take your wife to PCA meetings.

A 986 with a hard top and snow tyres is also a good winter car. A 996 4S could also be a nice winter car.

To be honest. Buy a cheap, robust beater for winter time and bad weather and use the 986 in the summer time. From the difference to the Cayman price make your wife a beautiful present.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #4

Garage
So let me get this straight. You are considering giving them your car, since all you'll get is what you put in the recent upgrades/repair, Just So you don't have to drive it in the winter. AND you're going to pay a markup to buy a car that is essentially the same that you will drive in the winter??? Only now you don't know it's condition and may have to invest again to get it up to par? AND you bought in January and have never experienced fall in the drop top?
My vote would be to buy a hardtop and winter wheels and tires and drive the box in the winter if these are your options, since you were going to give it away anyway, why care? But if you have to give the dealer a steal, offer it for the trade in value here. I'm sure lots here would love to give you $8k.....:roll eyes:

In summary "No"

PS ARE YOU CRAZY????? Or your stocks doing better than mine? Glad to help.....
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:06 PM   #5
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Haha, funny Monty - but spot on. Keep the Box, get a beater Honda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
So let me get this straight. You are considering giving them your car, since all you'll get is what you put in the recent upgrades/repair, Just So you don't have to drive it in the winter. AND you're going to pay a markup to buy a car that is essentially the same that you will drive in the winter??? Only now you don't know it's condition and may have to invest again to get it up to par? AND you bought in January and have never experienced fall in the drop top?
My vote would be to buy a hardtop and winter wheels and tires and drive the box in the winter if these are your options, since you were going to give it away anyway, why care? But if you have to give the dealer a steal, offer it for the trade in value here. I'm sure lots here would love to give you $8k.....:roll eyes:

In summary "No"

PS ARE YOU CRAZY????? Or your stocks doing better than mine? Glad to help.....

I agree with 911monty. Keep the Boxster and put a hardtop on it AND good, winter tires.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #7

My CSS is my all season car and it gets around fine in our tough Neb winters with a set of Blizzaks on it. But your 986 would too with the proper tires. ADV: push

The IMS in the 987 is nearly impossible to change but is also much less prone to failure. But you already have yours fixed. ADV: push

A CS (all Caymans in 2006 were S versions) will have 295 HP compared to your 217, so that would be a nice upgrade. But if you don't track your 986, 217 is probably plenty to get you in trouble. ADV: Cayman

The 987 is a big leap in quality of materials and reliability vs a 986. Plus the interior is more modern in appearance. ADV: Cayman

$26K is not a bad price for the CS, but you're prob correct in what they'll give you for trade. ADV: Boxster

For around $2500 you can have your Box winter worthy vs spending $18K for the CS + a set of wheels and snows. There are at least 4 hardtops for sale on ebay. ADV: Boxster

Bottom line: the numbers don't add up. Keep the Boxster.

Good luck with your decision.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 06-10-2016 at 06:30 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #8
Artist, 986S tinkerer

A Cayman is essentially a Boxster with a roof
I ran my 986 S last winter with a hardtop and Alpins.
What was the question ?
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

I'd go and drive the Cayman and then choose the one you like best. The numbers on cars never make logical sense and let's fact it, most of us can rationalize whatever it is that we really want to do in life.

Just choose the car you like best and be happy.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:42 AM   #10

I have a 2001 Boxster S and my wife has a 2008 Cayman S. I have a hardtop and winter tires for the Boxster and it goes just fine in the winter. Even though I have a set of winter tires for the Cayman, I laid it up this past winter. The previous winter we only drove it a couple of times, and not in the snow. The bottom line, as far as I am concerned, is to get a hardtop and snow tires for the Boxster. I think it's more fun to drive than the Cayman anyway and you are not going to make it worth any less money by driving it in the winter.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:49 AM   #11

Thanks all! I needed to be slapped around a little. I think I might have solved the issue anyway this morning. We got up early and put the top down and drove along the ocean on the way to breakfast out. The weather was perfect. Newport has to be one of the top ten places in the country to drive a convertible. We were driving along, watching the sailboats, and we looked at each other and we were both grinning like idiots. So...calling the dealership to turn down the offer.

I was also dreading the idea of having to deal with the IMS issue on an '06. I know they're much less prone to failure, but I'm just not up for dealing with it.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hi,

what i think: don't take your wife to PCA meetings.

A 986 with a hard top and snow tyres is also a good winter car. A 996 4S could also be a nice winter car.

To be honest. Buy a cheap, robust beater for winter time and bad weather and use the 986 in the summer time. From the difference to the Cayman price make your wife a beautiful present.

Regards, Markus
Ha! Markus, you are the best. My wife has a Macan S and is a PCA member herself. Can't keep her away!
Old 06-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #13

I've battled with this decision as I do think the Cayman looks better than the Boxster. they are also extremely affordable now with some falling below $20k. I think it really boils down to one major advantage the 986 has: it is MUCH easier to work on than later Porsche's. If you DIY and work on your own car then "upgrading" will possibly be a regret. The 986 is very easy to work on (compared to newer Porsches) and that's something I don't want to give up.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:32 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
Personally, I don't think this is a tough decision, but for some reason, I'm struggling and need some advice.

I just finished completely reworking my 2000 Boxster base. I bought it in January for 10K with 67K miles. It was a California car in fantastic shape. I just finished a long list of upgrades. to include IMS, RMS, AOS, Clutch, Flywheel, water pump, belt, thermostat, idler pulleys, spark plugs and tubes, chain tensioners, wheel bearings, crankshaft position sensor, and a few other odds and ends. Bottom line: spent an additional $8 grand to bring it up to speed. And I absolutely love driving it.

Here's the issue: we live in the northeast, and as such, I wanted to get a second car to drive in the winter. Something cheap and reliable, like a used Honda Fit or Kia Soul for around $12-13k that I could beat around in when the weather stinks instead of subjecting my baby to the salt and sand. The second car would also double as my Home Depot/grocery hauler.

To complicate the issue, we were at a PCA event a couple of weeks ago and my wife talked to a guy who had a Cayman. He said he drove it year around with no problem. He mounted snow tires in the winter, and the car was a virtual snowmobile...never had a problem, even in fairly deep snow.

So lovely wife thinks I should have a Cayman, and thus would not need a second car. And lo and behold, the local Porsche dealer just informed us that he has a nice 2006 Cayman with 45K miles, just arrived, for $26k, and wants us to have the first chance to buy.

My gut says no. First of all, the 2006 still has the IMS issue, and it's even harder to resolve as you have to split the engine case. Second, I just restored my Boxster to like-new condition, and would be throwing away a lot of money as the dealer would most likely offer nothing more than auction price of around $8k.

So what do you guys think? Please help. Also: do I have the best wife in the world or what?
I really don't see why you're having a problem with this. I had a Harley once that I really loved. New wife didn't like it so, out of respect, I sold it. Now she's gone and so is the Harley. I really miss the Harley.:dance:

Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote