View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 03:32 PM   #14
Luv2Box

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
Personally, I don't think this is a tough decision, but for some reason, I'm struggling and need some advice.

I just finished completely reworking my 2000 Boxster base. I bought it in January for 10K with 67K miles. It was a California car in fantastic shape. I just finished a long list of upgrades. to include IMS, RMS, AOS, Clutch, Flywheel, water pump, belt, thermostat, idler pulleys, spark plugs and tubes, chain tensioners, wheel bearings, crankshaft position sensor, and a few other odds and ends. Bottom line: spent an additional $8 grand to bring it up to speed. And I absolutely love driving it.

Here's the issue: we live in the northeast, and as such, I wanted to get a second car to drive in the winter. Something cheap and reliable, like a used Honda Fit or Kia Soul for around $12-13k that I could beat around in when the weather stinks instead of subjecting my baby to the salt and sand. The second car would also double as my Home Depot/grocery hauler.

To complicate the issue, we were at a PCA event a couple of weeks ago and my wife talked to a guy who had a Cayman. He said he drove it year around with no problem. He mounted snow tires in the winter, and the car was a virtual snowmobile...never had a problem, even in fairly deep snow.

So lovely wife thinks I should have a Cayman, and thus would not need a second car. And lo and behold, the local Porsche dealer just informed us that he has a nice 2006 Cayman with 45K miles, just arrived, for $26k, and wants us to have the first chance to buy.

My gut says no. First of all, the 2006 still has the IMS issue, and it's even harder to resolve as you have to split the engine case. Second, I just restored my Boxster to like-new condition, and would be throwing away a lot of money as the dealer would most likely offer nothing more than auction price of around $8k.

So what do you guys think? Please help. Also: do I have the best wife in the world or what?
I really don't see why you're having a problem with this. I had a Harley once that I really loved. New wife didn't like it so, out of respect, I sold it. Now she's gone and so is the Harley. I really miss the Harley.:dance:
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote