Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2016, 07:25 AM   #1

Garage
Alarm Control Unit (Replace or .....)

I have a 2001 Boxster 2.7l w/ 75k miles. I forgot to cover it over the weekend and wouldn't it be my luck that an acorn fell off the tree and clogged the drain... I'm sure you all know what happened next.

My question is this. I want to make this a track day car and am not really worried about it getting stolen. I've read incident after incident of people with this same problem. I saw a post a while back (not sure if this forum or another) that there is a way to bypass the system completely (albeit some re-wiring is needed. I would absolutely love any information that someone may have on this.

If that is not possible i'll just replace the ACU (anyone know where to get a new one). I already have a Porsche authorized service station that will program it for me for 200$.

986Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:26 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Itsanova on this board. Woddy. Try him.

Immobilizer.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Steve View Post
I have a 2001 Boxster 2.7l w/ 75k miles. I forgot to cover it over the weekend and wouldn't it be my luck that an acorn fell off the tree and clogged the drain... I'm sure you all know what happened next.

My question is this. I want to make this a track day car and am not really worried about it getting stolen. I've read incident after incident of people with this same problem. I saw a post a while back (not sure if this forum or another) that there is a way to bypass the system completely (albeit some re-wiring is needed. I would absolutely love any information that someone may have on this.

If that is not possible i'll just replace the ACU (anyone know where to get a new one). I already have a Porsche authorized service station that will program it for me for 200$.
You cannot just by pass the alarm unit with wires, the DME is programmed to wait for a signal from the alarm system before allowing the car to start. That programing is not going to go away..

Before going the replacement route, pull the seat and the alarm module, allow the carpeting to dry completely. Open up the alarm box and flush it with either electronics cleaner or simple isopropyl alcohol, allow to dry. Change the fuse in the alarm unit. Reinstall everything and it will probably work (better than a 50% success rate on this).
Old 06-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You cannot just by pass the alarm unit with wires, the DME is programmed to wait for a signal from the alarm system before allowing the car to start. That programing is not going to go away..

Before going the replacement route, pull the seat and the alarm module, allow the carpeting to dry completely. Open up the alarm box and flush it with either electronics cleaner or simple isopropyl alcohol, allow to dry. Change the fuse in the alarm unit. Reinstall everything and it will probably work (better than a 50% success rate on this).
I have had it sitting out as of 7PM last night, dried it to the best of my ability then leaving a fan blowing across it. Although, It was 2/3 submerged and I tested the battery and it was completely drained (assuming it grounded itself out). Here is to hoping that it will work.

Is there no way to "fake" the signal from the ACU to the DME?
986Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post

thanks Jeff!

Thanks Jeff

My car wouldn't start. I had stripped the interior to reupholster and dynamat everything. I had no ideal the alarm module had its own fuse. As soon as I picked it up the connector fell off it. I was like-hell yea! That has to be it. It was!

Thanks to all who contribute and ask questions. Once again the search button saves another boxster.

madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote