Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2016, 06:04 AM   #1

Transmission Gear Oil...Ravenol Products. Anybody here use them?

Yep, one final search for a decent transmission oil before I have to go to the Porsche dealership.

The MAIN reason that I believe there is a suitable substitute for the (GL4) Porsche gear oil, is that I am pretty well-versed in Audi manual gear boxes, and IMHO, there is probably almost no difference between the 6 speed transaxle (Audi 01E) in my project car, and the 6 speed in my Boxster S. Both manufactured around 2002.

I currently have the Redline MT90 in my (Audi) gearbox, which seems to work fine, but one thing that has always bugged me is that while Redline recommends it, they also say that is is NOT for use in boxes with hypoid gears. The ring gears in both my Audi box, and the Boxster box are both hypoid gears.

Here is the Redline oil info...look closely, and you will see the disclaimer about hypoid gears... Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil

Anyway, here is the info on Ravenol. Let me know what you think!

RAVENOL Motogear SAE 75W-90 GL-4 - Ravenol

Last edited by FauxDiablo; 07-20-2016 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Im dumb.
FauxDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:27 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
I am certainly not an expert on this subject.

From what I have read and heard, its best to use the Porsche product.
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:42 AM   #3

HUGE UPDATE!!!

I just got off the phone with one of the two Porsche dealerships I have available to me.

With parts/service I inquired about the cost of gear oil for the manual transaxle in my car (2002 BS 6 speed). He came back with $10.55/quart.

He then had me hold while he went to go confer with the techs about this, due to my disbelief of all that is holy about Porsche OEM fluids.

I asked him if that was the Porsche "OEM Fluid", and he says, "No. It's a Mobil 1 product we get from Lube Tech, we get it in 55 gal drums, it's what all of our techs use for all manual transmissions"

I don't know what the frick to think about anything anymore.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxDiablo View Post
HUGE UPDATE!!!

I just got off the phone with one of the two Porsche dealerships I have available to me.

With parts/service I inquired about the cost of gear oil for the manual transaxle in my car (2002 BS 6 speed). He came back with $10.55/quart.

He then had me hold while he went to go confer with the techs about this, due to my disbelief of all that is holy about Porsche OEM fluids.

I asked him if that was the Porsche "OEM Fluid", and he says, "No. It's a Mobil 1 product we get from Lube Tech, we get it in 55 gal drums, it's what all of our techs use for all manual transmissions"

Then think about this: Porsche has two suppliers for their manual trans gear oil, Mobil and Shell. It has been that way for about 20 years or so. What is different, is that both companies make a specific gear oil to Porsche specs, which is not a GL4 or GL5 product. So while the drums in comes in may be either Mobil or Shell, it is not a product you can buy anywhere else. We even contacted Mobil several years ago, asking if we could get it in drums for the shop, the answer was no, it is only available from Porsche. So that is how we buy it.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:54 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Ask 10 people why the Porsche OEM fluid is so magical and you'll get 11 answers comprised of stories, myths, rumors, heresy, and innuendo from 2nd hand, 3rd hand, and 4th hand so-called knowledge. I wouldn't be surprised if someone mentioned Hillary, Trump, Bigfoot, and Area 51 somewhere in their reasoning.

Bite the bullet and buy the Porsche OEM fluid.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #6

Second Update...just like the first.

Just called the other Porsche Dealer...Same fricken story. Both dealerships use a Mobil 1, straight from the drum. They do not even have a special name for it, other than 75w90...and it's STILL less than $11/quart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Ask 10 people why the Porsche OEM fluid is so magical and you'll get 11 answers comprised of stories, myths, rumors, heresy, and innuendo from 2nd hand, 3rd hand, and 4th hand so-called knowledge. I wouldn't be surprised if someone mentioned Hillary, Trump, Bigfoot, and Area 51 somewhere in their reasoning.

Bite the bullet and buy the Porsche OEM fluid.
That's just the problem.. They seem like they are not aware of any Porsche OEM fluid for the transaxle...."We just use Mobil 1 75w90" is all I get!

I keep asking them about the 999.917.546.00 oil, which is $51 a quart, and they keep saying, " We just use the Mobil 1 75w90" ... bizarre.

Last edited by FauxDiablo; 07-20-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #7

We've had this discussion many times perhaps because people speed-read the prior posts or don't bother to search for them.
The Porsche specs for the 6 speed trans oil are kindly supplied by Markus here:
http://www.smithandallan.com/documents/Spirax_S5_ATE_75W-90_%28en-GB%29_TDS.pdf
This Thread may also help:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/55977-2nd-gear-hard-shift-after-tranny-oil-change.html
Of course we are always interested to read about experiments with new options but probably better to know what prior discussions have already eliminated ?
IMHO the expensive gearbox oil is the least significant of the issues with the 6 speed. Try the 2nd gear dog ring and synchro replacement - that really needs a price reduction and a diy solution !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
We've had this discussion many times perhaps because people speed-read the prior posts or don't bother to search for them.
The Porsche specs for the 6 speed trans oil are kindly supplied by Markus here:
http://www.smithandallan.com/documents/Spirax_S5_ATE_75W-90_%28en-GB%29_TDS.pdf
This Thread may also help:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/55977-2nd-gear-hard-shift-after-tranny-oil-change.html
Of course we are always interested to read about experiments with new options but probably better to know what prior discussions have already eliminated ?
IMHO the expensive gearbox oil is the least significant of the issues with the 6 speed. Try the 2nd gear dog ring and synchro replacement - that really needs a price reduction and a diy solution !
lol.. I just wonder how many times this discussion has devolved into calling two different dealerships that don't even stock the "required" oil, and insist that all they use is basically off-the-shelf Mobil 1 GL4 gear oil???
Old 07-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #9

If PCar dealerships use the wrong oil, your issue is with those Porsche dealerships , not us.
The Forum has discussed this many times with a lot of detail from many well qualified sources.
When you accumulate experience sufficient to challenge JFP and the like ,it will be very useful for us to read your advice. We are always up for saving money and avoiding the Porsche tax.
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/55977-2nd-gear-hard-shift-after-tranny-oil-change-post503743.html#post503743
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
lol.. I just wonder how many times this discussion has devolved into calling two different dealerships that don't even stock the "required" oil, and insist that all they use is basically off-the-shelf Mobil 1 GL4 gear oil???
The gear oil we get from them bears the correct Porsche part numbers per the factory tech sheets on approved gear oils. Yes, they are supplied by Mobil and Shell, but under the correct Porsche part numbers.

It's your car and your money, buy and use what ever you please. But don't automatically assume all dealers are selling aftermarket gear oils, because they are not.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-20-2016 at 12:17 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote