Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2016, 06:12 AM   #1

Lutronix headlights not working

So, the previous owner replaced the headlights with a Lutronix? set, 99% sure they are not from the car, Great but they don't work, well the Fog, Turn signal and tiny bulb in there work, but no high or low beams, The Flash to pass does work though. Am i missing something or do i have to switch back to the original style to be able to see at night? Yes the side plug is plugged in, thanks.

SilverSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:40 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Swap the ballasts on the Litronics. If the other works, there you are.

There are two connectors. One you plug in and one that seats as the assy gets pushed in. Be sure the plug for the non working side is super stable or you'll have to dig through the fender well and plug it in by hand. It's a 5mm socket (car should have it) that releases the assy.

Also, check both rear fog lights. Often one is not working. Common thing.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSSS View Post
So, the previous owner replaced the headlights with a Lutronix? set, 99% sure they are not from the car, Great but they don't work, well the Fog, Turn signal and tiny bulb in there work, but no high or low beams, The Flash to pass does work though. Am i missing something or do i have to switch back to the original style to be able to see at night? Yes the side plug is plugged in, thanks.
We have done many Litronics conversions for owners, and usually everyone is absolutely thrilled by the performance of these lights. That said, if the system is not wired up correctly, is missing components, or has bad ballasts or controller, they can be disappointing.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:19 AM   #4

Garage
Since both high and low beam, both headlights are out, and all other bulbs are working, I'd suspect the headlight switch first. Especially since the flasher works!

Last edited by 911monty; 06-03-2016 at 07:54 AM. Reason: reading comprehension
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:52 AM   #5

Garage
A couple of years ago I had a problem with my litronics. On start-up the low beams were coming on....but the self test (beam dip) wasn't working.

Forum members suggested a possible bad relay, an easy test. Changed the relay and voila...problem solved.

Mine are a factory set so this may not apply but maybe worthwhile checking the relay or the previously posted possible fixes.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #6

Hello,

first check all fuses related.

Litronics have a complete different harness. Also the system has height sensors. The first question is if all components are in the car. Second question is if everything is wired correctly. Third question is if the ballasts work.

If the headlights don't adjust themselves (which makes a noise) if you turn them on, than there is something wrong with the front or rear level sensor or with the harness.

Also you can check if you have the extra connectors for the Litronic. To do that you have to remove the headlight with a 5 nut. If you have a complete Litronic wiring harness, there is a blue connector that sits at the back of the fender and is connected by pushing the headlamp into the fender. (Often the blue connectors are broken, because the headlights are pressed in with force – don't do that. The headlights should slide in without any force.) There is a second black connector that is plugged into the headlamp. The black connector is used for most of the Litronic adjusting functions.

I've added a chart i did that shows the blue connector wiring. Sorry, it's in german.

Blinker = indicator
Masse = ground
braun = brown
gelb = yellow
weiss = white
gelb = yellow
schwarz = black
grau = grey
grün = green
rot = red

Regards from Germany
Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 06-03-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #7
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post

Also, check both rear fog lights. Often one is not working. Common thing.
Timco, getting more subtle in your old age. Still funny, after all these years

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote