Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2016, 07:37 AM   #1
Just a Swede

996 muffler on a 986?

Its just a thought and it has to be a custom build, im not thinking that it should increase hp but the sound would/could be Great!

Or am i thinking all wrong?

smygolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
2002 Boxster S

Garage
Check the "Woody's Build" thread for some interesting muffler upgrade/mod stuff. He's taking 911 and 987 parts to improve exhaust flow (and sound).

Woody's Build Thread

Last edited by silver-S; 05-25-2016 at 08:49 AM.
silver-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:29 AM   #3
Just a Swede

Thanks Silver
smygolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #4

When I was looking for an alternative to my muffler I had thought about using more of the 996 exhaust system. As you can see from the picture below, it's not the best layout for transferring into the 986. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it didn't look like there was enough room for a 996 muffler. The 996 catalytic convertors wouldn't fit either. The right 996 cat has bad angles for fabricating into a 986. On another note, the 996 system doesn't sound very impressive.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:35 AM   #5

This was my solution. Sounds great. Looks interesting. Uses the stock muffler. Most importantly, no drone at any speed. It's fairly subdued until you get on the gas, and then it comes alive with a nice growl.

Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
This was my solution. Sounds great. Looks interesting. Uses the stock muffler. Most importantly, no drone at any speed. It's fairly subdued until you get on the gas, and then it comes alive with a nice growl.

+1. I've done this and the sound is beautiful, and is very cheap to do.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #7

Woody - have you tried the 996TT muffler? I believe the RUF 3600S exhaust was based on this. After extensive snooping around at their factory, every exhaust I could find was based on a modified OEM part.

I purchased one with hollowed out cats for my experiment, but haven't made it to the point of actually customizing/fabbing up the matching mid pipes.

Last edited by tightbox; 06-01-2016 at 08:27 PM.
tightbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:25 PM   #8
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:

Any plans or build thread on this?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:26 PM   #9

Here is a picture of the exhaust exits:

Here is the bare exhaust:

Old 06-02-2016, 04:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightbox View Post
Woody - have you tried the 996TT muffler? I believe the RUF 3600S exhaust was based on this. After extensive snooping around at their factory, every exhaust I could find was based on a modified OEM part.

I purchased one with hollowed out cats for my experiment, but haven't made it to the point of actually customizing/fabbing up the matching mid pipes.
Very cool. Let us know how it goes. I installed a 987 muffler in mine and love it. It looks very similar to the 996tt muffler but exits out the middle. I had thought about building something that exited out the rear bumper like the RUF, but I was too lazy to modify the lower part of the bumper. I think you should do something about the old exhaust cut out like RUF does if you go that route.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Any plans or build thread on this?
Timco, this is essentially a "Pedro" exhaust and we used the DIY on his website with a few variations. We used 1.5 in stainless instead of 1.25 for a little more rumble. Since 1.5 won't fit between the muffler and the clamps at the U pipe joint, we added another bend, then cut and welded it a little further down on the U pipe.

After we finished the fabrication, we sandblasted the entire assembly then gave it a ceramic coating. The ceramic coating really cuts down on the heat radiation into the trunk. In fact, it works so well, you can actually touch the muffler with your bare hands after a drive. The coating really dresses up the rear end -- sort of a satin-chrome finish.

I'm very, very happy with the sound -- very subdued until you get on the throttle, and then it really roars. Nice little burble at idle. The best part is when you come off the throttle and you get that sexy crackle and pop. No drone at any speed. Materials and ceramic coating came to about $300.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #12

Need sound clip!
Old 06-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #13

I have the same exhaust as Need_For_Speed but on a Boxster S.

Cost me £130 to do, all in (UK).

Before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zwazw6F6D0

After:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N71oYX-ejZk

Just after install & drive by:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thocwey5K9w

Personally, unless a certain exhaust gives surprising HP gains or is incredibly light, I don't see a point in buying one for its sound. This exhaust modification sounds beautiful and is ridiculously cheap.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
Old 06-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Timco, this is essentially a "Pedro" exhaust and we used the DIY on his website with a few variations. We used 1.5 in stainless instead of 1.25 for a little more rumble. Since 1.5 won't fit between the muffler and the clamps at the U pipe joint, we added another bend, then cut and welded it a little further down on the U pipe.
Do you happen to have any more pics of the complete system? This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, but I don't have tools or know-how so I would need to find a shop to do this for me.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #15

Previous air cooled 911's I have owned and a 914 I converted to a six I had M & K mufflers. These mufflers are basically a long round cylinder with inlet/outlet pipes. Made of 321 SS they are very light ( 12 pounds ? ) , look great and sound pretty darn good. Not sure what they do for internal baffling. I have sent them an email about two weeks ago if they are considering expanding to the water cooled cars. The answer was yes but not in the immediate future. If I had the metal skills to form the cylinder and weld like they do I would make my own. If you look online at muffler cut away pics a muffler is not that hard to make. Sure you might not get it right the first time but eventually you can get there.
I think the real key on our cars is to stay with a " single can " vs. a " twin can " muffler to eliminate the drone. I am playing with my twin can GHL on " the beast " . So far I have installed two small resonators ( one each side ) and some Car Chemistry exhaust inserts right behind the resonators. The sound is just about where I want it but I still have some drone. Much better than it was but still there. I may go with a set of CC inserts in the twin outlet pipes. If that doesn't get me to where I want to be I will explore making a single can muffler. The factory muffler for me is just too large and heavy.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Do you happen to have any more pics of the complete system? This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, but I don't have tools or know-how so I would need to find a shop to do this for me.
Finnegan, sounds like FD Motorsports might be the perfect solution for you.

FD Motorsports » Fister Exhaust – Boxster

The alternative is to find someone near you that has pretty good welding skills and a mandrel bender. The space is also pretty tight, so fit is crucial or the bypass pipes will run too close to stuff that might melt or vibrate.

I did a lot of research, and my initial goal was to find something lighter than the OEM boat anchor. That's when I discovered that Porsche engineers actually designed it that way on purpose -- the weight and configuration of the system serves to stabilize vibrations and prevent drone. This modification gives you a Porsche Sport Exhaust system for a fraction of the price.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Finnegan, sounds like FD Motorsports might be the perfect solution for you.

FD Motorsports » Fister Exhaust – Boxster
Thank you! I'll check that out.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightbox View Post
Here is a picture of the exhaust exits:

Here is the bare exhaust:

Very interesting. Could you do a picture where we can see the "height profile" of the final exhaust system / or status of your experiment.

Thanks and regards
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
It's just two pipes that go from the pipes that run into the muffler, which go straight into the tailpipes, 'bypassing' the muffler and letting more sound out.

Check my previous post to hear it