Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #1

Peculiar Post

I have a (silly) question. does any1 else get weird comments after telling people you drive a porsche. I guess what Im saying is does any else get stereotyped?

- http://haha327.tripod.com/cars/id4.html

- http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20081

mr986tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:25 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
At work,almost everybody calls me "rich white boy" after there hear I drive a Boxster. A guy last week asked me if it was a Fiat! I insisted to him that it is a Porsche and he said, "No,no this has got to be a Fiat". A few months back a homeless guy started assualting me at a light after I told him I have no cash, "Boy I wish my daddy had money to buy me a $50k Porsche. Spolied a55 white boy".
Old 05-18-2006, 05:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr986tt
I have a (silly) question. does any1 else get weird comments after telling people you drive a porsche. I guess what Im saying is does any else get stereotyped?

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20081
I don't get weird comments. Stereotyped, I assume that's pretty common.

That S2000 post you linked to was entertaining, sorta. I liked this quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingWicked
I'll say this much, Boxsters are as common as horsefiles around here. I'm grateful as hell that I picked the S2000. [WAIT FOR IT] It has the style and exclusivity of a Ferrari with the price of a (expensive) Honda.
(It's ok, the post was from 2001)
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:59 PM   #4

I sometimes refer to it as "the Convertible" when I'm around people I don't know. I’ve had to defend my choice to drive a Boxster a few times (in laws). I’ve found the most successful argument in my case is

“I could have bought a brand new Ford 500 or Chevy Impala with a few options. Instead I choose to buy a slightly used Porsche convertible for the same price.”

Of course this only works if you bought a used Boxster. If you bought a new one, you should be able to write off the depreciation as a charitable donation to the next owner.

If the original owner of my car is reading this, Thank You!
indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:09 PM   #5

Really, when you think about it.. who cares

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr986tt

- http://haha327.tripod.com/cars/id4.html

- http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20081

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:27 PM   #6

I get a little stereotyping, I am sure there is more that I don’t hear. Fortunately those who know me know I am a car guy, very frugal, and that owning a Porsche someday has always been a goal of mine. I know I have worked hard to acquire the things I have and that is what is most important, and I will gladly tell anyone that think otherwise. Besides, I knew that comes with the territory, not saying it’s right, just a fact.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:46 AM   #7
fab

Same for me too-
I sometimes refer to it as "the Convertible" when I'm around people I don't know.
I drive my BMW 5 series as my primary car so when someone see's me in my beamer and then the box- forget about it. I get tons of lip. Oh well.... :dance:
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:42 AM   #8

Everyone gets stereotyped! That is the way our brain is wired to function so it is not really about you. Friend or foe?

The only issue is, do you like the ST or not? "She's hot, he's a dweeb!"

It is all fine. You have a great car, go for a drive!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:47 AM   #9

Smile

And speaking of stereotypes, do you cringe when a massive SUV starts to roll backwards towards you while stopped in traffic.

Do you HOPE the driver (who you can't really see) CAN see you or that she is not on the phone (what is the chance of that?) or that he is not lighting up his cigar?

Gives me the willies!

Do you secretly want to blow up these moving homes on wheels?

Old 05-19-2006, 04:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
At work,almost everybody calls me "rich white boy" after there hear I drive a Boxster. A guy last week asked me if it was a Fiat! I insisted to him that it is a Porsche and he said, "No,no this has got to be a Fiat". A few months back a homeless guy started assualting me at a light after I told him I have no cash, "Boy I wish my daddy had money to buy me a $50k Porsche. Spolied a55 white boy".
To which you reply "Shut up before I come over there and CRUSH you with my wallet" lol...

People are always haters. I don't really hear that much, but I do get girls car and stuff like that. Guys always consider a convertable a girls car for whatever reason. I guess we are ment to have hard tops or somehing?

I dunno, but when your as good looking as I am, you want to have a convertable to shed some good-looking-ness on the world. j/k...
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:40 AM   #11

"People are always haters. "

Absolutes about human behavior are always wrong, at least part of the time!

Last edited by Brucelee; 05-19-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:25 AM   #12

Every time! I've stopped mentioning it.

bob
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Absolutes about human behavior all always wrong, at least part of the time!

You know I've noticed that it's always people from California who are the ones making generalizations. Luckily, people from Colorado never do that....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
"People are always haters. "

Absolutes about human behavior all always wrong, at least part of the time!

Absolutely!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
To which you reply "Shut up before I come over there and CRUSH you with my wallet" lol...

People are always haters. I don't really hear that much, but I do get girls car and stuff like that. Guys always consider a convertable a girls car for whatever reason. I guess we are ment to have hard tops or somehing?

I dunno, but when your as good looking as I am, you want to have a convertable to shed some good-looking-ness on the world. j/k...

Where do you drive your Boxster? In NYC I get a lot of thumbs up and positive complements.

:dance:

01 Red Boxster S with GHL exhaust
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:52 AM   #16

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
WOW that's 2 much. And I thought I had it bad. Heres another interesting 1... http://www.audifans.com/archives/1998/08/msg00382.html
mr986tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:25 PM   #17

I took my Boxster to work for the first time yesterday. Admittedly it has had a little work done to it, but it's still unmistakably a Boxster. I didn't say a word, just parked in my space in the garage, as always. At my first meeting of the day, a dork that I work with (and self professed car guy) entered the conference room and loudly announced to the 20 plus people in attendance that I'd bought a Ferrari. The phone didn't stop ringing all day. Today I drove the truck.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:44 AM   #18

"A guy last week asked me if it was a Fiat! I insisted to him that it is a Porsche and he said, "No,no this has got to be a Fiat"."

This is getting serious. I had EXACTLY the same thing happen to me last summer. I was sitting at a stop light and this guy in a pickup next to me leaned out the window and said "What kind of car is that?" When I replied "It's a Porsche" he said "Oh. I thought it was one of them Fiats."

Are they having us on? Is there some conspiracy to dog on Porsche drivers by "mistaking" their car for a Fiat?
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
Are they having us on? Is there some conspiracy to dog on Porsche drivers by "mistaking" their car for a Fiat?
I don't know, but just in case, next time some one asks what kind of car it is... Tell them it's a Fiat.

Anyway, this car has been out for a while. I find it surprising people people don't know what it is. But the fact that they're asking has got to be bit flattering, right?

Any you guys ever been camera phoned? I got my first picture taken today at a red light (thank goodness for limo-tint). I had no idea this car was camera phone worthy! My phone's camera doesn't get put to use for anything less than a F430.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
a dork ... (and self professed car guy)
Hey, I fit that description.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:48 AM   #20

"Any you guys ever been camera phoned? I got my first picture taken today at a red light (thank goodness for limo-tint). I had no idea this car was camera phone worthy!"

Hmmm. I know there is a web site for Hummer-haters, where people post pictures of themselves giving Hummers the finger on the highway. Maybe the Porsche-haters have something similar. Or am I just getting paranoid?

Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote