Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2016, 05:07 AM   #1

First Porsche Purchase

Hi all, I'm considering buying my first Porsche, and was recommended to check this site. Looks like a ton of great info!

If anyone would like to chime in, here's info on a car I'm looking at today:

1998 Boxster S James Dean 550 Scheme (not sure what the last part means?)
Automatic
Engine replaced in 2000 to fix IMS issue (by dealer under warranty)
120k miles, 90k on new engine (seems a bit high compared to some on here?)

2 Owners, first owner was a mechanic at Porsche dealership, so all maintenance has been done throughout its life.

Asking price is $7,500. Does that seem slightly high with the mileage? Or not really?

I've always wanted a Porsche, is it worth it to get something like this, considering I know nothing about fixing cars, or should I wait a bit and get a newer one?

Any opinions or comments are welcomed!

JoeBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:31 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Gonna need more details on the JD 550 theme. No such thing. The 04 special edition is a 550 throwback.

Get a PPI. Then you know. All else is guessing and hoping.

Was there even an S in 98??
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:33 AM   #3

Garage
This is good place to bounce ideas around
Boxster S first appeared in 2000 Model Year so this car, 1998 would have started life as a Base

Replacement engine would most likely have same IMSB that any 2000 would have, not the replacement version other mfg make or the larger version found in 987s

$7500 I don't know, depends on condition all the way around and how much and how long ago preventative maintenance items were replaced

And that's the stage this car is at, 18 years old 120k miles.
If your willing to learn how to replace things then the cost is somewhat manageable. Otherwise having to pay someone could be a bit expensive.

I'm at 14 years and 87k miles and just went through a whole list of replacement maintenance items. Doing myself helps on the $$$ side but there always seems to be a list

Don't be deterred. Fortunately Porsche made a lot of Boxsters and there are many well cared for ones out there
Old 06-01-2016, 05:46 AM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

If they are outright calling a 98 an S, they lie. It's more than a bigger engine.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Gonna need more details on the JD 550 theme. No such thing. The 04 special edition is a 550 throwback.

Get a PPI. Then you know. All else is guessing and hoping.

Was there even an S in 98??
Well he didn't say it was an S, but in the pictures it says Boxster S on the back of the car.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:08 AM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBrooks View Post
Well he didn't say it was an S, but in the pictures it says Boxster S on the back of the car.
Well, you can put any decal you want on the trunk. Ford stickers will stick just as well as that S sticker. Doesn't make it so.

There are many differences in brakes, suspension, trans, interior trim, engine, and on and on. It is NOT an S if it's a 1998.

Will it be a fun car otherwise? I'm sure it would if it checks out.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:11 AM   #7

The supply of these cars is huge if your willing to wait and look around.

You should wait to get the color you want and lower miles.

You've waited how long to get one? So whats a little longer to get your color and miles.

Porsche parts are expensive so lower miles should mean less replacements and lower operating cost.

Just remember that the average yearly maint cost of a 986 is still ~$2k per year, perhaps half that if you DIY, so in any case you should have a bit of a reserve built up for those things, especially at the higher miles.

It is after all a $65,000 German sports car you are going to maintain and although the value of the car has dropped, the cost of maintenance has not.

BUT, as everyone here will tell you...Its worth it !!!
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:59 AM   #8

Garage
Depends on your budget and what you can afford in repairs. If you can work on it yourself, you'll need to budget two grand a year as others have said. Some years it will be more some years it will be less. German cars need maintenance. Just a fact.

Search this site heavily and take a look at Mike fockes boxster page. You'll know if you can afford it. Yes they are worth it, but they maintain as a German luxury car.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
The supply of these cars is huge if your willing to wait and look around.

You should wait to get the color you want and lower miles.

You've waited how long to get one? So whats a little longer to get your color and miles.

Porsche parts are expensive so lower miles should mean less replacements and lower operating cost.

Just remember that the average yearly maint cost of a 986 is still ~$2k per year, perhaps half that if you DIY, so in any case you should have a bit of a reserve built up for those things, especially at the higher miles.

It is after all a $65,000 German sports car you are going to maintain and although the value of the car has dropped, the cost of maintenance has not.

BUT, as everyone here will tell you...Its worth it !!!
Great points, thanks! I do need to buy a car of some sort now, just need to decide if now's the time to pull the trigger on a Porsche or get something else that I won't really like as well, haha.

I've been reading this site half the morning, learned quite a few things already!

Planning to go look at the car this afternoon, and then decide something.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #10

Quote:
:

1998 Boxster S James Dean 550 Scheme (not sure what the last part means?)
Probably silver with the boxster red interior and most likely had a hardtop when new - I have seen a lot of that configuration in the early Boxsters and I think that is what they mean by the "James Dean" edition.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Probably silver with the boxster red interior and most likely had a hardtop when new - I have seen a lot of that configuration in the early Boxsters and I think that is what they mean by the "James Dean" edition.
Yes! Good to know that's what it means.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:13 PM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Engine replaced in 2000 to fix IMS issue (by dealer under warranty)
Ask for written proof that a dealer replaced the engine.

I am a little leery of this statement since the 98 came with the base 2.5L engine and it would be rather unusual for a dealer to replace a 2.5L base engine with the 3.2L model S engine under warranty.

We could theorize that the owner may have paid the difference in price between the stock 2.5 and the upgrade to the 3.2, but it would still be strange for a dealer to do that type of upgrade.

With that being said, get a PPI and don't trust anything that the seller says unless its in writing. The PPI will tell you the actual condition of the car and it will be the best $300 you ever spend. I know its a PITA to make the arrangements to take the car to be inspected and all of that. But not doing a PPI can literally cost you thousands in unknown repairs. Don't be that guy.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Great points, thanks! I do need to buy a car of some sort now, just need to decide if now's the time to pull the trigger on a Porsche or get something else that I won't really like as well, haha.

I've been reading this site half the morning, learned quite a few things already!

Planning to go look at the car this afternoon, and then decide something.
If you "need to buy a car now" I'd say don't buy a Porsche. For the same price there are a lot of cars that would be far less expensive to own and repair. Make your Porsche, your second car.

CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote