Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2016, 11:09 AM   #1

Tune or not Softronic or fvd

Well, i would like to get a bit more hp and torque out of my 2000 S. Dont want a cai, but planning on a fvd muffler.

So i know i wont get much but think it would be nice to optimize the tune some.

Whats the general opinion tune or not?

If you have tuned which software? I cant go to a speacilist here, so i like softronic or the fvd kits. Any sway either way?

Old 05-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #2

Garage
Save your money. Do a search on the subject. Some of the threads can be brutal. The stock system can handle and adjust to small changes in airflow such as a muffler. Unless you change the entire airflow through the engine there is little i.e. Nothing to gain from a tune. Porsche engineers left nothing on the table and designed a total hi perf/racing system with max spark advance curves (why Premium fuel is required).

Invest instead in some high performance driving instruction, until you can wring every ounce of performance out of the car!
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:10 PM   #3
Ben-Auto-Design

For just a muffler, you don't need a tune, that would be a lot of money for minor results.

But I do want to know if anyone uses those generic tunes!
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

The Softronic tune is only good for around 15hp. Its easier (and a lot cheaper) to take weight out of the car to increase the performance.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
Ben-Auto-Design

Sure, but you also take the comfort out!
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I am good with a minor 15 hp but, if its there with an easy tune. Muffler really more for a bit more sound. I live in southern spain and driving lessons so far not an option, cant even find a local porsche club yet.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:35 PM   #7

Hi,

hm, i don't know. Personally i don't feel a difference between 250 and 265 HP in daily usage. Also i don't feel a difference between 300 and 310 Nm.

Definitely different if your car would only have 50 HP and later on 65 HP. That can be felt. But to compare that this would mean a difference of 250 HP and 325 HP.

We've tested some cars on a calibrated motor sports dyno. One person had invested over 1.000 euros for a generic tune from a well known german tuner. The car had less HP than the best stock car we've tested (we did a dyno day with identical 10 cars).

Muffler: we had some cars on the dyno. In general the OEM exhaust system was better than any after market or modified by user. Also if you change only the muffler this will lead to nothing - except more noise. If you want more hp you should use catalytic converters with a maximum flow and a minimum of cells so it's possible to reach just emission controls. Also the complete exhaust system should have a maximum diameter.

My opinion: a generic tune is wasted money. A sport exhaust will bring more noise / sound but in general not more hp. If you want to do it right, you have to spend a lot of money to get more HP out of an N/A Porsche engine and have to do a lot things right.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:53 AM   #8

Smallblock thanks for the post good info about the dyno and the type feedback i was looking for. I understand to get any benefit from the exhaust would need headers, 200 cell cats. The muffler upgrade i want because the car just needs a bit more sport sound, i would think at best a less restrictive muffler maybe good for 5hp.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Smallblock thanks for the post good info about the dyno and the type feedback i was looking for. I understand to get any benefit from the exhaust would need headers, 200 cell cats. The muffler upgrade i want because the car just needs a bit more sport sound, i would think at best a less restrictive muffler maybe good for 5hp.
If you want a bit more sound remove the intake snorkel. Takes 10 minutes to remove and just as much time to install. Doing so will give you a bit more intake sound which on this car is pretty sweet sounding.

I did a under drive pulley and the secondary cat delete (not sure that the European cars have the second cat but this delete adds a little power). Between the two I maybe got 5 to 10 hp on the top end. After to day of driving it with these mods I got used the tiny increase in power and don't really notice it anymore.

BTW most aftermarket mufflers are going to give you drone. Look into a PSE exhaust mod for you factory muffler to give you some nice sound.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hi,

hm, i don't know. Personally i don't feel a difference between 250 and 265 HP in daily usage. Also i don't feel a difference between 300 and 310 Nm.

Definitely different if your car would only have 50 HP and later on 65 HP. That can be felt. But to compare that this would mean a difference of 250 HP and 325 HP.

We've tested some cars on a calibrated motor sports dyno. One person had invested over 1.000 euros for a generic tune from a well known german tuner. The car had less HP than the best stock car we've tested (we did a dyno day with identical 10 cars).

Muffler: we had some cars on the dyno. In general the OEM exhaust system was better than any after market or modified by user. Also if you change only the muffler this will lead to nothing - except more noise. If you want more hp you should use catalytic converters with a maximum flow and a minimum of cells so it's possible to reach just emission controls. Also the complete exhaust system should have a maximum diameter.

My opinion: a generic tune is wasted money. A sport exhaust will bring more noise / sound but in general not more hp. If you want to do it right, you have to spend a lot of money to get more HP out of an N/A Porsche engine and have to do a lot things right.

Regards, Markus
This is the best logical assessment so far for determining upgrades and increase in HP with minimum costs.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:33 AM   #11

I have put in 996 throttlebody and also take away the orginal airbox, and use a AEM conical filter.
It's pretty giod different in mid rpm and it "pusch on" a lot more:-)
Take moretime then cost :-)

Urban

ubbe66 is offline   Reply With Quote