Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2006, 05:42 AM   #1

Who has the answer...?? AirBag Question...

Hi,

Hopefully one of you can help me out. Does anyone know how the Porsche Crest is attached to the 3-spoke AirBag?

I'm sorry, but I'm not looking for speculation, I'm looking for someone who has actually seen an AirBag which has been deployed up close and KNOWS if the Crest is riveted, taped, or glued to the AirBag Cover.

Something I'm working on requires that I remove this crest and I need to know if I'll need to remove the AirBag Cover (the actual Black Vinyl) to remove the Crest or not. TIA...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:26 AM   #2

Riveted...
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
I'm sorry, but I'm not looking for speculation, I'm looking for someone who has actually seen an AirBag which has been deployed up close and KNOWS if the Crest is riveted, taped, or glued to the AirBag Cover.
Damn, even when you are asking for help you come across as arrogant. I know you have posted alot of help to other users and shared your vast knowledge around here but there is no reason to sound so arrogant all of the time. I hate to call someone out on this but eventually you have to call a spade a spade.
Now i'm not trying to stir things up here... I just feel like the friendly "post what's on your mind" atmosphere starts to get lost when people post like they are above everyone else. I know this isn't the first time someone has said something like this about your posts.
Toolpants is very knowledgable and helps alot of people on this site and I haven't once felt he was trying to belittle someone with his answers.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
bmussatti

Porschekid and Jim:

I am not trying to defend anyone, make judgement or offer any excuses, but please remember that posting information is such a one-way communication. You can't judge someone's tone quality, facial expressions, inflections, humor and etc. Our non-verbals are such an important part of communication that just gets lost in our process and forum. So, at times this can be dangerous to truly understanding someone's intent.

There are a lot of great people on this forum, both of you included. But, sometimes we don't always come across as intended or perceive the message correctly. That's just the nature of this non true human-to-human communication process.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
Damn, even when you are asking for help you come across as arrogant. I know you have posted alot of help to other users and shared your vast knowledge around here but there is no reason to sound so arrogant all of the time. I hate to call someone out on this but eventually you have to call a spade a spade.
Now i'm not trying to stir things up here... I just feel like the friendly "post what's on your mind" atmosphere starts to get lost when people post like they are above everyone else. I know this isn't the first time someone has said something like this about your posts.
Toolpants is very knowledgable and helps alot of people on this site and I haven't once felt he was trying to belittle someone with his answers.
Hi,

I'm sorry you think I came across as arrogant, you are certainly entitled to your opinion as am I with respect to your RUDENESS! The impression people have about me is just that, their impression. I have found that some often key in on a single phrase, or take something out of context, without considering my post in sum before criticizing my contributions, such as you've done here. Maybe you're just trying to boost your rep by Hi-Jacking the thread and slamming someone else...hmmm....??

I have NEVER called anyone Stupid or otherwise Belittled anyone because of what they may or may not know about their Cars or Cars in general, despite what you may rightly or wrongly percieve. I have not ever initiated any direct confrontation with another Forum Member. I'm certain however, that you cannot make the same claim.

But, to get back on point, in the context of this post, the reason I wanted to hear from someone who had SPECIFIC knowledge of the AirBag nomenclature is that these are very dangerous. You essentially have a controlled explosive device. And, I would be working on it in an inverted position which means that instead of having a Balloon popping in my face merely scaring the ******************** out of me, I'd have a goodly sized chunk of Aluminum and Steel flying up in my face were it to discharge.

Excuse me if I am hesitant to undertake this if I didn't have to, or merely on the basis of someone's speculation. This is why I was more direct than you appear to like, because I was looking for SPECIFIC information upon which to act, not someone's opinion or speculation. No apologies. If you don't like my contributions here, then don't add me to your Buddy List and ignore my posts, simple as that. I guarantee that I won't be staying up nights worrying about it.

Agreed, ToolPants is extremely knowledgeable (much more than I) and I trust his opinion. Yours on the other hand...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-25-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:18 AM   #6

Think back at how many times have you been accused as coming across arrogant on here? I think it's time you start looking at how you present yourself a little more.

Funny how this is how you reply to someone everytime you are called out on this fact...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
I'm sorry you think I came across as arrogant, you are certainly entitled to your opinion as am I with respect to your RUDENESS! The impression people have about me is just that, their impression.
I would gladly expose myself as coming across rude if it would help lighten up the atmosphere to where it was before you would go off on your tirades. I think Tool Pants might know more about these cars than anyone on this site but when he replies, he doesn't try to act like he's a demigod.
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:25 AM   #7

It's very true that this is the straw that broke the camels back. I have no problem with authority figures. I have a problem with a site full of peers where someone wants to act like an authority figure over everyone else. As far as I know the only authority figures on this site would be Brucelee and rkwei.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:27 PM   #8

If I had a question, asked on an internet Boxster message board, after the years I have been around.

I would have asked it in the same manner as MNBoxster. There is way too much misinformation floating around, over and over, for year after year.

I tried to pull an air bag crest off a 2000 S when the car was new. Why? It came with a silver crest and the owner wanted a gold crest. The crest swap never happened.

It does not pull off. It is not glued on. It is not taped on. And none of these are my pictures.

And leave your drill at home....

Old 05-25-2006, 10:02 PM   #9

I've read the opening message in this thread several times throughout the day and I cannot uncover the transgression.

If for some reason, someone's postings always stands your hair on end, there is an "ignore list." Click on the offending party name on his/her posting, view public profile and chose the ignore option shown in the blue band. While it is not full proof (you will probably see the offending party quotes in someone else's posting on occasion), perhaps it will allow us all, in some small way, to peacefully coexist in our virtual world, where we are all united in all things Boxster.

Last edited by 98Boxster98; 05-25-2006 at 10:10 PM.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
If I had a question, asked on an internet Boxster message board, after the years I have been around.

I would have asked it in the same manner as MNBoxster. There is way too much misinformation floating around, over and over, for year after year.

I tried to pull an air bag crest off a 2000 S when the car was new. Why? It came with a silver crest and the owner wanted a gold crest. The crest swap never happened.

It does not pull off. It is not glued on. It is not taped on. And none of these are my pictures.

And leave your drill at home....
Hi,

That's exactly what I'm up to, swapping a Silver Crest for the Gold one for a Buddy of mine.

On your advice, yesterday I removed the Air Bag, pulled the Pyrotechnic Device/ Solid Fuel Rocket Motor / Gas Generator, making it safe, then the cover comes off quite easily.

The Plan is to grind the head off the rear of the Rivet on the Silver Crest with a Dremel, then remove it.

Next, with a set of Jeweler's Taps, drill and Tap a couple holes in the back of the Gold Crest to accept some tiny machine screws which will be screwed and epoxied into place along with a flat washer through the backside of the vinyl cover, reducing the chances of turning the Crest into a Trans-sonic Missile should the AirBag ever deploy.

To add to that margin of safety, I will also add a thin bead of Industrial Adhesive (ala Liquid Nails or something) to the underside of the Crest before installing it. Should work the busness! I'll be sure to photo-document the procedure. Thanks for your valued assistance...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-26-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:44 AM   #11

I would remove the original crest the way you are. Sometime ago on one of the message boards someone also did it this way. My concern is that you are messing around with an air bag, and you know how people are about that.

So I tell people who want a different color crest to find someone who wants to swap the complete unit. A silver crest is rare because it was only for 2000 S, and a few 996s. There are people who would swap a gold crest air bag for a crest crest in a second because they also have a silver crest on the front trunk and/or a silver car. In fact, I think there is a local 2000 S owner on Renntech that wants to swap his silver for a gold.

I don't think it is important how you attach the replacement crest. I would glue it. I just do not buy the concerns of flying crests. You can see from the picture how the air bag splits.

If you are using a 356 metal crest I would make sure it is the exact same size and thickness as the old crest.

Take a lot of pictures if you do it.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:23 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
TO both Tool Pants and MNBoxster...

If you do know of anyone that wants to get rid of a silver airbag crest i am willing to do a swapp and even include some $$$
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:05 AM   #13

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7694&hl=crest

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4118&hl=
Old 05-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
TO both Tool Pants and MNBoxster...

If you do know of anyone that wants to get rid of a silver airbag crest i am willing to do a swapp and even include some $$$

Hi,

I would have just given you this one, but it's so beat up you wouldn't want it. My buddy's wife had a nasty habit of clicking her ring against it while driving in time to the music, that's why we're changing it, sorry...

Old 05-26-2006, 02:53 PM   #15

The Nerve of This Guy!

Quote:

"Hi,

I would have just given you this one, but it's so beat up you wouldn't want it. My buddy's wife had a nasty habit of clicking her ring against it while driving in time to the music, that's why we're changing it, sorry...

MNBoxster

That is so patronizing the way you say you would just give him that crest! On top of that you said "Hi" Who do you think you are god? what a jerk.

JUST JOKING
Finallygottaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:56 PM   #16

Is this a Boxster board or therapy session? I find all the info extremely helpful and find the diversity of personalities interesting and fun.
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:51 PM   #17

Typical porsche family beefs. I've seen it come and go on here. Nothing new. If anything, it makes for interesting reading! Back on topic, thx for the pics tool pants and post some of the swap if you can Jim.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
... My concern is that you are messing around with an air bag, and you know how people are about that...
Hi,

It's interesting that you should say this, and I would agree. As you are probably aware, the actual nylon Air Bag is folded and placed in an Aluminum Basket (for lack of a better word) under the cover.

When I removed the Gas Generator and pulled the vinyl cover off, I was amazed to see that whomever folded the Air Bag at the Manufacturer did not get it totally inside this basket. Consequently, some of the Bag draped over the top of the Basket and was pinched between the Basket and the sides of the cover (which is firmly attached to the outside of the Basket and remains in place during a deployment), sort of like a piece of shirt tail sticking out of a suitcase. This could have prevented it from fully deploying if ever activated - it would have been defective as assembled. Whether this would have posed an actual problem, I cannot say, especially with the force with which it deploys, but it certainly was not designed to be folded in this manner. I was able to fold back this approx. 1" piece the other way and into the basket (without pulling the entire Bag out) so it is no longer pinched and will deploy properly.

Poor Quality Control like this makes one wonder how many others slipped through and may not deploy as designed. Certainly not many, because there are no reports of this happening that I have heard of (unless the Dead truly tell no tales... ). But, during a collision would be a hell of a place to find out that your Air Bag won't deploy properly...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-27-2006 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:14 PM   #19

Ok, I am sure this question has been asked and answered a thousand times, but due to the nature of this discussion I thought it would be a good place to ask. I have a 99 Boxster, hence no crest on the steering wheel. I see I can purchase one and affix it, but if the air bag should deploy, will the crest fly off and become a permanent addition to my forehead ?

NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote