Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
Shacky

I think I broke top mechanism!

I went to put top down and heard loud popping noise like gears slipping. I think I didn't completely unlatch top and the claw grabbed hold roof from closing.

Only good news is the top is in closed position. The rear cover closed but now nothing engages when pressing button up or down.

Feels like this is going to be an expensive mistake! HELP!

shacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #2
Shacky

OK so I should have searched first. I hope my only problem is the plastic ball joint per this:

You likely need a pair of these:
Porsche Boxster 1997 2012 Convertible TOP Push ROD Repair Ball Joint Pairnew | eBay
They are engineered to break and spare more expensive components from getting damaged.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:22 AM   #3

Garage
Start looking for them with the top up. It will not be easy, but if you start looking through the rear window and figuring out what is what - you can tell if they are detached. You want to make sure that they don't poke a hole in the foam drain pans under the top assembly. Holes in them can allow water into the interior.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shacky View Post
I went to put top down and heard loud popping noise like gears slipping. I think I didn't completely unlatch top and the claw grabbed hold roof from closing.

Only good news is the top is in closed position. The rear cover closed but now nothing engages when pressing button up or down.

Feels like this is going to be an expensive mistake! HELP!
putting the top up and the claw grabbing on the latch happened to me quite a few times and the system just kills the operations right there. this in on a 2000. do the newer years have a safety feature?
after reading some stories here i am super careful to make sure the claw is out of the way but just wondering what saved my roof..
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
Shacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
Start looking for them with the top up. It will not be easy, but if you start looking through the rear window and figuring out what is what - you can tell if they are detached. You want to make sure that they don't poke a hole in the foam drain pans under the top assembly. Holes in them can allow water into the interior.
How do I fix drain pans if they did?
Old 08-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #6

Garage
I heard silicone caulk works well.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
Shacky

I haven't fully diagnosed my problem but I see in 101 Projects book that it can definitely be more than just the push rod.

I'm regretting installing Smart Top
Old 08-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #8

I broke my plastic ball joints the exact same way with the smart top. It was a learning experience. Easy fix and cheap education. The Smart Top is too good to live without.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
Shacky

Well I lucked out and it was just the ball joints - whew!!!

I was struggling getting the ball joints for cover off as top was up and cover all the way closed. Finally I decided to lift the top while pressing button ad it worked - the cover came up. From there it was pretty easy.

But I did snap one of the clips on the ball joint cover on passenger side. And I didn't need to take that off so lesson learned.

I hope I never have to go into manual with the cover in lowered position. I could not get at that ball joint to pop it off. I think I'd need a long tire iron or something.

Just in time for trip to home town for my 41st and the wife's 40th high school reunion.

For now I'm taking the Comfort top off. Anyone want a deal on it?
Old 08-09-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
Shacky

Update: I was not lucky. After a few more cycles the top stopped working. Checked fuse. Nothing not even a murmur when I press button either way.

We were away on a trip so I had to go into manual mode as I was stuck with top down.

Got out the tools. 3 out of the 4 ball joints were easy to pop off. Not so with drivers side cover linkage. Finally borrowed a wrench and as I loosened ball nut from trans the ball joint popped off. Transmission is bent and that linkage was bound up.

So drive home for 6 hours with the mechanism rattling at each large bump reminding me of how stupid I was to pay money for a mod that is now like to cost over $1,000 in repairs.

I'm surprised with all the stories of this kind of damage there is still so much positive talk here about comfort top.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #11

Did the clam shell open up when you pushed the button?
I am having a similar problem when I press the button on the dash only one side of the clam shell cover goes up.
I cannot see what is not working. Is that what you experienced?
Jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #12
Shacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimc View Post
Did the clam shell open up when you pushed the button?
I am having a similar problem when I press the button on the dash only one side of the clam shell cover goes up.
I cannot see what is not working. Is that what you experienced?
Both sides were working but one side jammed. Bracket on the transmission is bent. Don't know if transmission damaged too.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #13
Shacky

Also - once you pop off the ball joints it's a lot easier to open clam shell and assess what's bent etc.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #14
Shacky

Finally got time to assess damage. While right after the accident everything was working the drivers side transmission became free wheeling. Turns out it was broken cable not transmission.

Will order part the try to fix. It's a bit of a struggle getting that transmission off then on again.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #15
Shacky

My cable seems permanently attached to the worm gear. I looked on Pelican parts and replacement cable seems to have bare ends on both sides. Do I need to order another part?

I see this but no picture:

1999 Porsche Boxster Base Convertible - Convertible Parts - Page 2

Convertible Top Transmission Gear Brand: Odometer Gears Ltd

Last edited by shacky; 09-07-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:39 PM   #16

It should not be permanently attached to the worm gear.

I replaced my cables a few years ago and found it to be farily easy to do. Even adjusting the clam shell was not as bad as I thought it'd be. Just be patient, you can handle it!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #17
Shacky

The plastic case for worm gear appears damaged. I think there was a lot of stress in this area. The cable is wedged in place - it broke at the motor end.

Is the plastic/worm gear piece available?
Old 09-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #18

check ebay or Istanova in the classifieds.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shacky View Post
The plastic case for worm gear appears damaged. I think there was a lot of stress in this area. The cable is wedged in place - it broke at the motor end.

Is the plastic/worm gear piece available?
My thought is the cable would break before the plastic worm gear, take a drill and put on other end of cable and back it out of the worm gear don't pry out or you will strip the gear.

Otherwise you would have to look on eBay 00 01 02 03 04 Porsche Boxster Left Convertible Top Motor Transmission 986561179 | eBay for a used transmission and take apart, but may be a gamble if the insides are good or not.

On Pelican the new transmissions are $700.00 +/- each.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:00 PM   #20
Shacky

Thanks to Deadeye supplying transmission I got this working today! Thanks Deadeye