Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 39
Period correct (late 90s) wheel suggestions?

Hey guys, new boxster owner here (see my thread: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/61369-99-2-5-sleeve-question.html) and am wanting to do a few subtle mods to the car. Essentially headers, catback, euro-spec suspension, and wheels/tires.



On that last front, I've been looking around at what the community at large has selected for Boxsters. The best (to me) I've seen is the Speedline 3.6-type wheels (as above) with a beefy sidewall. I really dislike tall wheels and skinny sidewalls. So I'd like to stick with 17" wheels. Importantly, I'd like to keep the look as late 90s as possible. I think it's because I was 10 when this car came out, but I really love that period of car design. Unfortunately, I'm having hard time finding wheels from that period. Any suggestions?

I really love the OZ Futura wheel as on this 964 (that stance is almost perfect IMO, just needs a 1/4-1/2" less ride height)


I'm worried that Futura's are a little late 80s early 90s though. Not quite contemporary with the Boxster and I think it would be a little too 'retro' (putting them on a newer Porsche like this is definitely retro:



The 5 spoke RUF wheels are quite nice, but a little too tall for my liking:


To be sure, I'm looking for wheels with some apparent mass to them as I think they contrast with the delicate form of the Boxster quite well. This rules out most BBS-type mesh wheels. The BBS RF design is quite nice, but again, it has the same anachronistic issue as the Futuras.

The Speedline 3.6 is the leading candidate so far, but I would like to see some other suggestions.

Yes I am being quite ridiculous.

Spirit_RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: ontario
Posts: 321
Have a look here. Plenty of oem and aftermarket porsche fitment wheels to sift through.

Wheel Enhancement: Factory and after market wheels, tires and services for Porsche
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_RE View Post
The Speedline 3.6 is the leading candidate so far, but I would like to see some other suggestions.
The Speedline 3.6's look great because they look like the 964/965 wheels on the original 1993 Boxster concept car...

__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 160
I vote for the RUF wheels, as shown on the Luxury Motorcars Boxster. I think they're available
in 17", 18", and 19", so I'm not sure what you mean when you say they're too tall.
__________________
CURRENT: Audi TT / Audi A3
PREVIOUS: Porsche 911, Boxster, 968, 912E / BMW 228xi, Z3, 128i, 318ti, 328xi / Audi TT / Mercedes SLK / Fiat 124 Coupe, Spider

Last edited by VGM911; 05-16-2016 at 09:15 PM.
VGM911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 39
Anyone know where you can actually buy those Ruf wheels?
Spirit_RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:52 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 160
Maybe these links will steer you in the right direction:

Ruf Porsche Wheels for Sale - intoAutos.com - Image Results

http://www.aboutus.com/RUFAuto.us

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/621918-ruf-auto-us-located-southfield-mi.html


Here are additional valuable links (including a link to the German headquarters - RUF is a German company, by the way):

http://ruf-automobile.de/en/

http://www.autobahnbound.com/2009/04/03/ruf-the-king-of-porsche-tuners/

http://www.racperformance.com/
__________________
CURRENT: Audi TT / Audi A3
PREVIOUS: Porsche 911, Boxster, 968, 912E / BMW 228xi, Z3, 128i, 318ti, 328xi / Audi TT / Mercedes SLK / Fiat 124 Coupe, Spider

Last edited by VGM911; 05-17-2016 at 12:20 PM.
VGM911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #7
03S
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: OH
Posts: 18
Gemballa Speedline on my 03S

03S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:35 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Frontpage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 42
Veloce 3.6 Wheels

I have "real" three piece Speedlines on my '79 930 and really like them. I wanted a similar look for my '02 BS (without the cost) so I opted for one piece Veloce 3.6 wheels and I am very happy with them.

Veloce : Veloce 3.6




__________________
--------------------------------------------------
'79 930, Oak Green, Cork Leather Interior
'02 Boxster S, Seal Gray, Boxster Red Leather Interior, IMS/RMS, DOF
Frontpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:49 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 39
Damn, that does look great. Care to mention the price of those? Doesn't seem to be mentioned on their site.
Spirit_RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_RE View Post
Hey guys, new boxster owner here (see my thread: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/61369-99-2-5-sleeve-question.html) and am wanting to do a few subtle mods to the car. Essentially headers, catback, euro-spec suspension, and wheels/tires.



On that last front, I've been looking around at what the community at large has selected for Boxsters. The best (to me) I've seen is the Speedline 3.6-type wheels (as above) with a beefy sidewall. I really dislike tall wheels and skinny sidewalls. So I'd like to stick with 17" wheels. Importantly, I'd like to keep the look as late 90s as possible. I think it's because I was 10 when this car came out, but I really love that period of car design. Unfortunately, I'm having hard time finding wheels from that period. Any suggestions?

I really love the OZ Futura wheel as on this 964 (that stance is almost perfect IMO, just needs a 1/4-1/2" less ride height)


I'm worried that Futura's are a little late 80s early 90s though. Not quite contemporary with the Boxster and I think it would be a little too 'retro' (putting them on a newer Porsche like this is definitely retro:



The 5 spoke RUF wheels are quite nice, but a little too tall for my liking:


To be sure, I'm looking for wheels with some apparent mass to them as I think they contrast with the delicate form of the Boxster quite well. This rules out most BBS-type mesh wheels. The BBS RF design is quite nice, but again, it has the same anachronistic issue as the Futuras.

The Speedline 3.6 is the leading candidate so far, but I would like to see some other suggestions.

Yes I am being quite ridiculous.


Speedlines look great on any Porsche IMO. They are super expensive though, even 17s. You can get Italian look alikes
That are fairly nice. I had a set on my 82 Sc. I had to buy the wheels, then have them modified to fit 80s offset
Name:  Image1463607035.470743.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  92.4 KB
__________________
2001 Boxster S 3.6, 2003 E46 M3, 94 968 Cab, 80 911 Weissach Edition, BMW 1200 CLS
smshirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Frontpage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_RE View Post
Damn, that does look great. Care to mention the price of those? Doesn't seem to be mentioned on their site.
I paid about $1600 direct from Veloce in the U.K.

I worked directly with Peter Ormrod. Very nice guy to deal with.

FYI these are direct fitment for the 986 - no spacers required.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------
'79 930, Oak Green, Cork Leather Interior
'02 Boxster S, Seal Gray, Boxster Red Leather Interior, IMS/RMS, DOF
Frontpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:09 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Vinkeveen, the Netherlands
Posts: 14
Late 90's wheels that look good on a Boxster?

What about BBS Le Mans? An all time classic that looks great on a Boxster (or any other Porsche for that matter):

Black Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:03 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 39
I just don't quite like the Le Mans wheels. My favorite BBS is the CH (NOT CH-R) but I don't think they look great on a Porsche.
Spirit_RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:05 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 160
I don't really like the LeMans wheels either. Even worse, they look very hard to clean.
__________________
CURRENT: Audi TT / Audi A3
PREVIOUS: Porsche 911, Boxster, 968, 912E / BMW 228xi, Z3, 128i, 318ti, 328xi / Audi TT / Mercedes SLK / Fiat 124 Coupe, Spider

Last edited by VGM911; 05-19-2016 at 09:16 AM.
VGM911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #15
Registered User
 
BIGJake111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Greenville, S.C.
Posts: 2,656
Garage
Most wheels on the 993 carry over very well to the boxster.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page