Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #1

Garage
03 Parking light problem

Removed the passenger side headlight unit to change out the parking light bulb and it tested ok. didn't work in car. Bought another just to try still didn't work. Every bulb in car 100% at every location works but not the pass. parking light. I am waiting for my work manual to arrive. Any suggestions? Relay? Something else? Thanks Jim

Rufcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Do you have a multi meter? Start checking for voltages.

No first hand experience but the light switches are prone to failure over time. Someone posted a picture of the inside of theirs several weeks ago. It had failed and it is amazing how complicated the inside of that thing is.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #3

Garage
I do not believe its the switch. I believe it may b something in the head unit itself but have no idea what to look for.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:32 AM   #4

Garage
I had a few a/c vanes missing on the switch cover so I bought a tested used complete unit. Installed it and the fog/parking light still does not work! ahh!! I am continuing to test circuits but so far all is good. I need to run some additional continuity tests in that circuit. Can it possibly be the circuit board that's in the metal unit at the rear of the headlight unit? any ideas would be great help? Tkx jim
Old 05-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #5

My headlights were fine. I removed them to install Fred's projectors. Replaced them and no headlights. Lights tested fine on the bench. Replaced the light switch and all was well.
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:11 PM   #6

Garage
After changing out items. Checking, rechecing. I believe it's still one bulb. I ll know tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:06 AM   #7

Garage
Finally repaired. The short version is, it was a bad parking light bulb.The good news is it allowed me to remove headlight unit, repair split old dried wires, replace the a/c vent and get a better light switch at the same time. Plus get a better understanding of the entire system.