Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
Shacky

Passenger Window Making Strange Noise

Out of the blue this just started. The passenger side only is making a hell of a crackling squeal going up and down. I've only lowered and raised twice since it started. I was afraid something is about to break.

Before I take door panel off to diagnose just wondering if this is common.

shacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Yep. Basically it's slack in the cable, seems to happen most commonly on the passenger side. You can either replace it with a new regulator, a used regulator (from Woody, like I did), or use a bicycle cable adjuster to add tension.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:54 AM   #3

If it still opens and closes and especially clears the seal when you pull the handle and it drops two inches the regulator might not be broken but may need some lithium grease on the tracks. Could be worth doing that before you throw money at it.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I have had the cables come off of the pulleys and wedge between the pulley and the frame. It sounds horrid. Don't use it or you will shred the cable. Search for the bike cable adjuster. It is a bit of a job but doable. You need torx bits for a couple of screws. Be careful if you have door airbags.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #5

Underneathe the door are 4 rubber plugs. Take the plugs out and you will see 2 pulleys with a wire going around them. Squirt oil or wd40 at the pulley bearing. Move the window up a bit and repeat. Try to oil or grease anything that moves in there.

I had that horrible grinding scratching and i took apart the door thinking i hD to replace the regulator. Once i saw themechanism was just dry i oiled it and put it back together and it was fine. When the other window started up i just lubricated it from the plugs. 15 minute fix.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #6

I recently had that happen.
The cable had come off the pulley in the window mechanism.

I ended up opening the window motor spool and found that to be the source of the slack.

The cable end swag seemed to have worked its way free of its intended stop and allowed some slack, which resulted in a derailing of the cable.

I restrung the cable on the motor spool and it was all tight again and operational.

Cost, a couple hours of tinkering only.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #7
Shacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Underneathe the door are 4 rubber plugs. Take the plugs out and you will see 2 pulleys with a wire going around them. Squirt oil or wd40 at the pulley bearing. Move the window up a bit and repeat. Try to oil or grease anything that moves in there.

I had that horrible grinding scratching and i took apart the door thinking i hD to replace the regulator. Once i saw themechanism was just dry i oiled it and put it back together and it was fine. When the other window started up i just lubricated it from the plugs. 15 minute fix.
I like this idea!

shacky is offline   Reply With Quote