Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #1

how to adjust headlight housing "height"?

My passenger-side headlight does not quite line up right with the car's fender. In other words, the whole headlight housing and rubber seal is a little bit lower than the round opening in the fender, so it looks a little recessed. How do I raise the whole headlight or the tray that guides the headlight assembly so that it ends up flush with the fender? I apologize, but I don't have pictures to illustrate exactly what I'm referring to, but I hope I have described it clearly.

Thanks in advance!

chiefsalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:00 AM   #2

in your toolbelt, (check behind the spare tire) there should be a headlight tool that looks like a pencil width cylinder with a lever. There should be a black rubber plug in the trunk on the side of the car where the healdight is out of line.
Remove that plug and pull back the carpeting. There's a hole there where you need to stick the headlight tool. Once you lock the tool into place give it a turn using the lever and you should hear a loud Click. That means its secured. Turning in the opposite direction will unsecure it and the headlight unit will slide forward a little bit.
The headlight unit may have been removed at some point and pushed in improperly when it was reinserted. There's a track underneath the headlight. Make sure it hooks in properly before pushing it in and locking it with the tool. You need to hear the click.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:28 PM   #3

Hello,
Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried removing and reinserting the headlight several times and can't get it to sit any better. I am sure that the guides that protrude from the housing are in the tracks, or otherwise the headlight doesn't slide in at all. So it really seems like the whole tray needs to be angled up a little in the rear. Does this make sense? So what I am asking is how is this tray adjusted (if it's even possible to do)?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:04 PM   #4

Hi,

I think you have a Fender alignment issue. The Headlight is essentially fixed to the track which attaches straight to an inner Fender and is not adjustable. Any slight adjustment would be Fore/Aft, not height. How are the rest of the Cut Lines on the Fender? Is it even all the way round? Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:19 PM   #5

Hi Jim,
The fender looks fine, with everything even. I see that the tray that holds the lights in is bolted to the inner fender, but with what seems like a threaded screw into a round nubbed nut. The screw accepts a star-point driver (T15), but it is VERY tight and very difficult to turn. And I can't tell that it's doing anything to the light position.

So I'm wondering what it is about this light and why it sits sunken down like that.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsalami
Hi Jim,
The fender looks fine, with everything even. I see that the tray that holds the lights in is bolted to the inner fender, but with what seems like a threaded screw into a round nubbed nut. The screw accepts a star-point driver (T15), but it is VERY tight and very difficult to turn. And I can't tell that it's doing anything to the light position.

So I'm wondering what it is about this light and why it sits sunken down like that.

Apparently, adjusting the frame is not an easy task:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7868&hl=
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:07 PM   #7

Right.... I think what I am referring to are the "aligning nuts" mentioned in the renntech post. So I might be on the right track (no pun intended) by adjusting those nuts. I believe there are 3, which probably control the forward and rear tilt, and perhaps side tilt of the headlight housing to the body. I'll try some more tonight, and will try to get a picture of all of this.