Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
02 box s

boxster vs 996 handling

I have owned my 2002 996 C2for close to a year now. I traded my Boxster S for it to have a back seat for my daughter (snicker if you must...). I have addressed the IMS issue and redid the suspension.

On my Boxster I had Bilstein sports and H&R bars/springs. It was stiff, but not awful and handled really well. It was a significant improvement in fun factor over the stock set-up. The only downside was it was way too low.

Enter the 996. I researched going the ROW M030 option or biting the bullet and jumping in with PSS9 coilovers. However, I didn't want to go as stiff as PSS9. I almost pulled the trigger on the ROW set-up until I realized that I had about 3500.00 in credits on Amazon.

I searched for a few weeks to determine what I could get that would work for me on Amazon and I realized that Eibach had a set-up that 993 users loved. It was progressive, but really improved the dynamics. It coupled the Eibach springs and bars with Koni FSD struts. There was very little out there as far as reviews for the 996, but since the cost to me was only going to be the install and alignment I figured why not.

My original suspension had 56k miles on it and a leaking front strut. I suspected a rear strut was probably going bad as well because the rear end felt very un-planted and "loose." It felt like weird dynamics if you lane changed at 70mph without lifting off of the throttle. Almost like the sway bar wasn't attached if that makes any sense.

So I had the new suspension installed and an alignment that was between stock 996 c2 and gt2 specs done. I have driven the car about 2k miles since the install and everything certainly feels tighter, but the rear end still has that same vague feeling that it had with the stock suspension. My Boxster was tight as a tick and lane changes were almost telepathic. I am left wondering.

The FSD and Eibach setup is supposed to mimic stock ride quality but with improved handling as the suspension loads. I can say that it certainly didn't negatively affect the comfort and only minimally lowered the ride height. My wife never noticed the difference. I am just curious if this handling trait is a side effect of the 911 butt mounted motor vs the mid-engine arrangement of the Boxster. Anyone have any ideas on how to "tighten" the rear end up without making it ride like a brick? Gosh I miss my Boxster....

Brad

02 911 carrera2, full leather, tubi exhaust, colored gauge faces, agency power short shift, DOF IMS fix, litronics, tech art shifter, spin on filter adapter
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Actually, the 996 rear end should be solid as a rock - that is the advantage of the rear engine layout. The only time it should feel "loose" is during power-on oversteer or if you lift the throttle abruptly in the middle of a corner and unload the rear, then it will get loose and want to come around.

The best way to drive a 911 well is to use the fantastic rear end traction to advantage and get on the power much earlier in the corner than in a Boxster - a 911 is typically slow into a corner and super fast out of a corner.

I don't know what the GT2 spec alignment is but that might be part of the problem - maybe the GT2 alignment spec sets up the car such that the rear end will slide around and if you're not used to that characteristic or don't expect it, you may feel uneasy and have a lack of confidence in the handling.

Maybe try having the alignment set back to C2 spec and see if that helps. Otherwise, I'd ask the shop to check for anything else that might be worn that might be contributing to the issue.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-06-2016 at 11:00 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #3

Howdy Brad, I hope all is well with you and yours.

Given that I made a similar transition and I also replaced a 911 stock set-up (albeit a 993 instead of a 996) I will say this; rear spring weight / shock rebound rate / rear end ride height is something left to the professionals. My final analysis; there's a reason Ohlins are so dang expensive lol. I messed with all of the above and finally consulted someone in the know (Performance Alignment, Blue Ash, Ohio) and paid them to chase things down, money well spent.

Being that I knew your Boxster well (prior to your improvement) truth be told they (Boxsters) simply handle better than most 911's.

Good Luck Brother......Mark.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #4

Forgot to mention........the 996 forum on Rennlist is very active and full of great guys / resources. Probably a good idea to check it out.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:13 PM   #5
02 box s

Mark

It's always good to hear from you. I passed through Cincinnati just last night on my way back from Michigan. Lost my older brother last week very unexpectedly so it was a whirlwind trip. Otherwise I would have looked you up. As always I hope that you and yours are doing well.

I should honestly probably sell the 996. I never drive it or get to enjoy it. When I do drive it I have to relearn the car. Ah well. I suppose it's a good problem to have.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Brad

02 911 carrera2, full leather, tubi exhaust, colored gauge faces, agency power short shift, DOF IMS fix, litronics, tech art shifter, spin on filter adapter
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #6

boxster vs 996 handling

I have both and the 986 definitely handles much better, feels lighter, more responsive. I love them both but for different reasons. Both have fairly new ROW M030 suspensions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk