Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2016, 05:04 AM   #1

Soft Top/Rear Window Replacement 2001 Boxster S

Hey all, I have a 2001 Boxster S with the rear window torn to shreds. I went to a top repair place and they said I needed a whole new top...quoted at $1499 plus tax. I live in the Doylestown/Quakertown PA area and need advice on repair shops that do this type of work. Would like another opinion and/or other quotes to weigh my decision. Willing to travel to NE Philly area to have the work done.

Thanks!!

psugrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:50 AM   #2

I just replaced the top on my 2001 S so I understand your options.

Here is what you can do:

1) Take existing top in to a canvas or sail repair shop and have them sew in a new vinyl window (~$200-400)

2) Buy an aftermarket replacement top and have it installed (~$500 for top + 500 install)

3) Buy a used 03-04 top with glass window/frame and bolt in place with the 4 bolts in under an hour (~$800 + 1hr for the garage or handy neighbor to install ~$100)

I have my old top/frame with the cracked vinyl window for sale cheap ~$250 plus shipping in case anyone wants it. Top is in excellent condition except for the rear window.

Seems in nearly every case the top material is in excellent shape but the Vinyl window ages out after about 12-15 years regardless of hours of sun exposure.

I chose option 3 for my own car and am extremely pleased at the better top shape and a defrosting glass rear window. Its was a very easy install that perhaps took an hour going very slow and referring often to instructions in the "101 Boxster Projects" book.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 05-04-2016 at 05:53 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:22 AM   #3

Thanks, JB, for the helpful response. I guess I fall into the category of looking for cheapest possible option to get the top back to respectability.

I checked eBay and found replacement top with heated glass window for $495. I assume this is what you meant by aftermarket replacement tops.

I was told that the seams are starting to go on the top, but honestly it's not driven much and I'd be perfectly fine with getting the vinyl window replaced. I may call canvas repair shops in the area, as you suggested, and see if they do this type of work.

Thanks again!
Old 05-04-2016, 10:28 AM   #4

i went with the replacement top on the frame, a two year old top with glass which i stole for 500$ and installed it in 30 minutes. one of the BEST upgrades i've done to the car for the money. no more boxster chop!

there are bargains out there, if you have the time and patience. post Want To Buy add in the correct section and see what you can fish out.

good luck!
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #5

Yes, third party tops being Gaah or a few other brands that are frequently sold through Amazon and Ebay.

One person suggested that when checking out canvas or sail shops, if they ask what car the top is from, say a Miata, otherwise you may end up paying the "Porsche" premium price.

I agree with Cris, having a glass top is the nicest upgrade since you don't have to worry about chopping the fabric to make the top fold down nicely. It does that quite well of its own accord with the glass.

The clarity is fantastic as well if you have been unable to see anything more than fuzzy shapes and lights with a failing vinyl window.

I think the Vinyl looks cheap for such an expensive car, so its a fitting enhancement.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
Old 05-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #6

Garage
Send a message via AIM to philipjayadler Send a message via Yahoo to philipjayadler Send a message via Skype™ to philipjayadler
I spoke awhile back with Accurate Auto Tops in Edgemont about replacing the top on my 1999 Boxster. 610-356-1515. They deal with GAHH. Ask for Jim.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
philipjayadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #7

I got my glass replacement top for my'02 from autotops direct for around $550.00. Yes, get the glass replacement.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:58 AM   #8

Garage
It cost me $450 to get the clear vinyl rear window replaced on my 99 2 years ago.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:10 AM   #9

The heated glass window seems like it's the way to go. Found the one below. Would I be able to install on my own? You guys make it sound so easy.

Porsche Boxster 1997 02 Convertible Soft Top Heated Glass Window Black STF | eBay
Old 05-06-2016, 03:36 AM   #10

Garage
Now you tel me. Of course they say replacing the roof is a PITA
Old 05-06-2016, 03:51 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psugrad93 View Post
The heated glass window seems like it's the way to go. Found the one below. Would I be able to install on my own? You guys make it sound so easy.
This might be of help:

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/replacingthetop-adiy
Old 05-06-2016, 07:23 AM   #12

Mike. HAHA! True! called two places, both in the $1800 range for the glass window option installed. So, 1300 just for labor. Ridiculous.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:46 AM   #13

Garage
I do as much work as possible on my 99. I think its ridiculous what we are charged and these cars are not that difficult to work on.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:10 AM   #14

Quote:

Porsche Boxster 1997 02 Convertible Soft Top Heated Glass Window Black STF | eBay
The New Fabric install is doable as a DIY if you have a lot of Patience.

Others have said that its a PITA and about 8 hours of work.

However if your up for the challange and want to save ~$1000 on labor for someone else to install it then go for it.

The links from others are quite useful as is the "101 Boxster Projects" and the technical area of the Pelican web site.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Hey all, I have a 2001 Boxster S with the rear window torn to shreds. I went to a top repair place and they said I needed a whole new top...quoted at $1499 plus tax. I live in the Doylestown/Quakertown PA area and need advice on repair shops that do this type of work. Would like another opinion and/or other quotes to weigh my decision. Willing to travel to NE Philly area to have the work done.

Thanks!!
Hey psugrade93,
I'm from the Doylestown area as well. I got a quote for $1399 for a new top with glass installed from Williams Custom Tops-Interiors in Langhorne, PA

mepsr is offline   Reply With Quote