Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #1

New Porsche Accessory

I'm trying to find a shop who might be interested in making a custom part for the Boxster. I have the general idea and could probably make up the drawings, but don't have the tools to actually make the device. It would require a soft tool for plastic molding. Any ideas on who might be able to help me out with this?

I could care less about selling the deal, but it would be great to have in my own car and would be usefull for almost all drivers.

thanks, Jeeter

jeeter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #2

you have to be a LOT more specific. are we talking thermoplastic mold? machined billet? composite? it would help if you could give an example of a part (not necessarily related) that might be MANUFACTURED the same way.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:07 PM   #3

If your not interested in the selling part of it then just tell us what it is, then I'll tell you what processes are invoved in making such an item. I work for a company and we prototype all kinds of stuff for a HUGE performance company, everything from intakes, exhaust systems, turbo components, electronics etc etc.. We have made everything you can think of one off, plus comissioned production of said items here and in Taiwan.

I'm pretty sure I can give you a direction your loking for.

BTW: we have absolutly no interested in the Boxster market, it's too small for what we do, so no worry about us making the item. I tried to do an exhaust that would rival the best for half the price from Taiwan but the limited production numbers make it not worth it.. Oh well.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:54 AM   #4

Forgot I made this post, got busy with other things. Here is the deal, maybe someone will have some interest. As you know, one of the problems with having a convertible is locking things up when the top is down. As you also might know, the cup holders on the boxster are completely useless, they don't hold anything very big and most of the drinks I've ever tried to put in the slot end up falling out.

When I was changing out my radio head unit, I noticed how easy it was to remove the cup holder's. There are a few screws and then that's it. Why doesn't someone make a lockable tray that works on the same principle as the cup holders. You give it a push and it pops out, only inside is room for storage. With a tap into the security system you could require this to be closed just like the trunks before locking up the car. The electrical part should be easy, you could include a key hole or something else to mechanically lock it down.

Personally, I've got my concelled carry permit since I'm in an authorised state. I would love to be able to lock up my pistol and other valuables, but instead I've just given up on carying them when I plan to leave the top down. They won't fit in the mini-storage compartment between the seats and the storage behind the seats isn't secure.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:26 PM   #5

Smile

Given how easy these punk/thieves can get into a car today, personally, I would not leave anything of value in the car, esp a hand gun.

Talk about being at risk! Whoa baby!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:26 PM   #6

Hi,

Uhh, this may sound stupid, but how tough is it to simply place it in the locking trunk?...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:37 PM   #7

Y'know, it actually sounds like a good idea to me, not so much for the "protect your gun" factor, but just that I can see that it'd be useful for a lot of things. I certainly wouldn't mind more lockable interior space.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:25 AM   #8

For what it's worth, TUFFY makes a ton of locking storage devices. Granted, they may not be tailored for your Boxster, but many would probably work. It's been awhile, but I seem to recall they actually make a low profile box for use under most seats with a hidden finger key combination lock. The applicable use is naturally for guns, but could also be useful for stereo faceplates, etc. Perhaps it could even be mounted where one of the oddment bins is located?

Alternately, you could mount a lockable storage box in the rear of the Boxster. The TUFFY boxes are way more secure than your center console which, like that of my old Jeep, could probably be opened with a good tug.

Just a thought....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:42 AM   #9

All good points for sure. However, if I'm going to bother carrying the gun I want to be able to use if it's ever necessary. Putting it in the trunk doesn't do much good, not to say it's rather hard to do so in plain daylight.

Regardless, I think more lockable storage in this car is a must. It really wouldn't take much to remove the useless cup holders and add something of value for us all. Like a dang glove compartment, most cars do have those. For all the money I think Porsche is a little under equiped with basic features. I love my car don't get me wrong, but nearly every other automaker is starting to beat Porshe out on these types of features. BMW, Benz, Audi, etc. are all good Euro cars that have found value in creature comforts. I didn't buy the Boxster for comfort, but next time around I might look a little closer at these kinds of things.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:52 AM   #10

You don't have a glove compartment? Maybe you just need to buy a 987 then. They fixed that deficiency somewhere along the way.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #11
KronixSpeed

actually denverpete brings up a grat idea.

a box under the seat. i have those in my beautiful mini van. i've actually never used it before, as i dont really carry guns....lol/jokes. a lockable box that screws in under the seat would be a great idea. not sure how low the seats are to the ground or if this is even possible...but would work far better then something like this in the dash. not sure that you can even fit a gun in that small of a space where the cup holders are.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:06 PM   #12

if some one could make a kit for a retro fit glove box on the 986 then that would be a great seller!

easy enough to cut a whole for it, just needs an oversized trim to make it all nice and neat around a front/door :-)
perry190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeter15
Forgot I made this post, got busy with other things. Here is the deal, maybe someone will have some interest. As you know, one of the problems with having a convertible is locking things up when the top is down. As you also might know, the cup holders on the boxster are completely useless, they don't hold anything very big and most of the drinks I've ever tried to put in the slot end up falling out.

When I was changing out my radio head unit, I noticed how easy it was to remove the cup holder's. There are a few screws and then that's it. Why doesn't someone make a lockable tray that works on the same principle as the cup holders. You give it a push and it pops out, only inside is room for storage. With a tap into the security system you could require this to be closed just like the trunks before locking up the car. The electrical part should be easy, you could include a key hole or something else to mechanically lock it down.

Personally, I've got my concelled carry permit since I'm in an authorised state. I would love to be able to lock up my pistol and other valuables, but instead I've just given up on carying them when I plan to leave the top down. They won't fit in the mini-storage compartment between the seats and the storage behind the seats isn't secure.

This concept is not a secure place for a handgun. If you plan on getting heated, either stay heated or use the trunk. It's not a perfect spot but it's more secure than a console drawer, IMHO..

Last edited by stucatz; 08-16-2006 at 06:38 PM.
stucatz is offline   Reply With Quote