Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #1

Yellow headlight inner lense replacement

Is there a replacement inner lense that would work or anything other than the expensive HID/Litronics? I don't want to do a major modification and rather replace just the inner lense. Is there some kind of inexpensive solution?

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Nope. You can open them up and remove them completely. That and projector install is it.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Check with Woody, care of 'itsnotanova', he parts out cars and is very reasonable with price and shipping.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:54 AM   #4

Oxidation of the clear coat that covers the headlight lens often causes yellowing. Before you spend a ton of time and / or money replacing the lens, try a headlight restoration kit or a local headlight restoration service. You've got little to lose. Lens burned from the inside are a completely different issue
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Oxidation of the clear coat that covers the headlight lens often causes yellowing. Before you spend a ton of time and / or money replacing the lens, try a headlight restoration kit or a local headlight restoration service. You've got little to lose. Lens burned from the inside are a completely different issue
He's referring to the inner lens, not the inside of the main lens.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #6

the yellowed (inside) part guys... Perhaps someone can fabricate replacement lenses. Perhaps someone can run down to Hobby Lobby and make one!

Old 04-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #7

As far as I know the inner lenses aren't available separately. I have a set of brand new inner lenses that I picked up from someone that did a projector conversion. At the time I planned to use them to replace my burned inner lenses but ended up buying a set of good used headlights instead. I kept the outer rubber seals from my original headlights and I still have those new inner lenses. I'm planning to put them up for sale on the forums in the very near future (I really need to clean out my unused parts).

There was a thread on the forum that detailed how someone replaced the inner lenses. I think you have to heat the headlight to 250 F (wearing gloves!) in order to soften up the sealer enough to get the outer lens off. The outer lens snaps into a groove in the housing and must be pried out.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog View Post
As far as I know the inner lenses aren't available separately. I have a set of brand new inner lenses that I picked up from someone that did a projector conversion. At the time I planned to use them to replace my burned inner lenses but ended up buying a set of good used headlights instead. I kept the outer rubber seals from my original headlights and I still have those new inner lenses. I'm planning to put them up for sale on the forums in the very near future (I really need to clean out my unused parts).

There was a thread on the forum that detailed how someone replaced the inner lenses. I think you have to heat the headlight to 250 F (wearing gloves!) in order to soften up the sealer enough to get the outer lens off. The outer lens snaps into a groove in the housing and must be pried out.
Bird Dog, If you wanted to sell the inner lenses, what would you want for them?