Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #21

I LOVE my Fabspeed, but I've never heard the Fister exhaust. That is until this weekend when I get to hear Chris'

Old 04-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #22

I have a combination exhaust on my 993 of both Fister Stage 2 Mufflers and a Fabspeed X-Pipe with 200 cell Sport Cats. Again this is on my 1996 Porsche 911, not a Boxster, I'm posting to relay my opinion and experience with both manufacturers since over the years I have purchased a dozen or more different exhaust set-ups. With the Fisters you send them your muffler and they rework it and ceramic coat it if you wish then send it back to you, not too pricey but not cheap ($480 w/o coating plus shipping), well worth it IMO.

Here's a pic of the Fabspeed X-Pipe with the Sport Cats under my 993, it doesn't do justice to how beautifully they are made:

photo IMG_0788_zpswzzw0kyu.jpg

Fister's website for Boxster exhausts: FD Motorsports » Fister Exhaust – Boxster

With Fabspeed they are definitely not cheap, I can say that their craftsmanship and quality are unmatched, EXCELLENT products!!!!

Here's a vid of my old Box with a B&B exhaust, it was both pricey and droned lol:

Last edited by coreseller; 04-07-2016 at 12:30 PM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #23

your fabspeed sounds pretty amazing man i wont argue with that! but it's a bit too rich for my blood
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #24

thats what i paid for the Fister and for what it is i think it's not too expensive considering zero drone, great craftsmanship on the bypass pipes fitting and best of all its your OEM muffler so that thing will last forever.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
So you just want to replace your muffler? Dansk makes mufflers for Porsche and they have several models that replace the stock. They are lighter, polished, give you twin pipes and sound great. I have the "sausage" sport version on my base '99.

I have one of these I've yet had a chance to test. From what I've read on here and youtube, it's not much louder than stock. It's also only 3 lbs lighter than a stock muffler. Sound is important to me too, but I want to loose that boat anchor muffler too. I'm half tempted to cut it open to see if there's any weight I can remove from it.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #26

My 3.6 has headers, cat delete pipes and a GHL twin can muffler. Love the sound of the muffler but it is a little loud and does have drone at 2400 - 2800. I have been thinking about what to do as I don't want to quiet it down too much and don't want to add much weight. I finally decided to add two resonators ( one each side ) before the u-bends leading into the muffler. Took it to a local Porsche shop and they took some measurements and we're going with 12 " overall length Vibrant brand . They came in today I'm dropping off the car tomorrow morning. So I'll chime in tomorrow with the results but I think it will take off just enough edge/resonance to make my exhaust perfect.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
I have gone from the stock 2001 S muffler that came on the car to a 2003 S muffler modified by FDM (FD Motorsports » Fister Exhaust – Boxster) to an OEM Porsche Sports Exhaust (PSE).
I have the PSE (welded open) on my '01 S. I really prefer the look of the standard S and would like more sound. How does yours sound with the cat delete? Any negatives to installing them? I've been tempted to go the eBay route because they're cheap, have the OEM S look, and from what I've heard, actually sound decent.
thatguychad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #28
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I've also got a Dansk cat back muffler...
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguychad View Post
I've been tempted to go the eBay route because they're cheap, have the OEM S look, and from what I've heard, actually sound decent.

Try to drive one with an "Ebay" exhaust if you can- before you buy. I installed a Beluga cat back and found the volume and drone offensive. After two weeks I reinstalled my Crios- modded stock one. Now I can hear my stereo and I'm not embarrassed to drive in my quiet neighborhood.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #30

Quote:
I have the PSE (welded open) on my '01 S. I really prefer the look of the standard S and would like more sound. How does yours sound with the cat delete? Any negatives to installing them? I've been tempted to go the eBay route because they're cheap, have the OEM S look, and from what I've heard, actually sound decent.
I installed the TopSpeed Cat Delete pipes. They were $160 shipped from TopSpeed. It improved the sound (IMHO) but still is not as good as the FDMs. The install was easy but I have heard that the cat delete pipes could cause heat issues to the drive shaft rubber boots.

I am not sure what you did when you "welded open" the PSEs. The default to the valve is open... the louder position. If you welded the valve open you may have set them to the quieter position.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #31

Quote:
I am not sure what you did when you "welded open" the PSEs. The default to the valve is open... the louder position. If you welded the valve open you may have set them to the quieter position.
The previous owner had the exhaust installed and it was welded when I got it. There were no vacuum-actuated valves installed, so if the weld was removed (which we did), the valve freely moved (and quite easily.)

The reason I removed the weld, initially, was because there was a rattle internal to the exhaust. We removed it, played with the valve to determine the "loud" setting, then put a little spot weld to hold it in that position.
thatguychad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:40 AM   #32
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
I have gone from the stock 2001 S muffler that came on the car to a 2003 S muffler modified by FDM (FD Motorsports » Fister Exhaust – Boxster) to an OEM Porsche Sports Exhaust (PSE). The FDM had the best sound by far and I liked the larger tips. But, the PSE is special. I ended up deleting the secondary cats to get some sound out of the PSEs. No drone at all with the FDMs. The other two being stock also had no drone.

Congrats Chuck...love that PSE! It is on my to do list as well
Did you get the valves etc. as well (probably not really necessary, I guess) ?
Old 04-09-2016, 04:50 AM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I have one of these I've yet had a chance to test. From what I've read on here and youtube, it's not much louder than stock. It's also only 3 lbs lighter than a stock muffler. Sound is important to me too, but I want to loose that boat anchor muffler too. I'm half tempted to cut it open to see if there's any weight I can remove from it.
It sounds much better and louder than stock unless you open the stock muffler up and cut a hole in the first baffles at the intakes. That allows the exhaust gases to go straight back to the outlet instead of winding through the other baffles. I had that done to my OEM and it was a toss up on sound but the Dansk looks much better and I like the dual tips instead of the whale blow hole.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:00 AM   #34

I was doing some exhaust research here on the forum and one of the best suggestions was to do the Fabspeed secondary cat deletes and just leave the rest of the system stock. At $600, it seems like a cheap and easy approach to drop some weight and pump the sound a bit. Plus, you can always add other components later.

Also thstone recommends the $300 Topspeed muffler, and I trust his opinion as he drives and races his box like The Doctor intended. Check out his build thread. Awesome stuff.

Last edited by Need_for_speed; 04-09-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:49 AM   #35

Quote:
We removed it, played with the valve to determine the "loud" setting, then put a little spot weld to hold it in that position.
Gotcha..... You are correct. The PSE are great looking but lack the right sound. Thus, thus the secondary cat delete (IMHO) is a must.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Congrats Chuck...love that PSE! It is on my to do list as well
Did you get the valves etc. as well (probably not really necessary, I guess) ?
Thanks. It was a lucky find on eBay.

I didn't install the switch for the valve control. Besides being a challenge to install I would have left it on the loud position all the time anyway. It would be cool to have just to make it a "complete" install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
I was doing some exhaust research here on the forum and one of the best suggestions was to do the Fabspeed secondary cat deletes and just leave the rest of the system stock. At $600, it seems like a cheap and easy approach to drop some weight and pump the sound a bit. Plus, you can always add other components later.

Also thstone recommends the $300 Topspeed muffler, and I trust his opinion as he drives and races his box like The Doctor intended. Check out his build thread. Awesome stuff.
Take a look at TopSpeed's secondary cat deletes. I bought a pair from them last year for $160 shipped. Email them and let them know you are a 986 Forum member. I don't believe that the Fabspeed pipes are worth $400+ more that the TopSpeed ones.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:59 AM   #36

Quote:
I installed the TopSpeed Cat Delete pipes. They were $160 shipped from TopSpeed. It improved the sound (IMHO) but still is not as good as the FDMs. The install was easy but I have heard that the cat delete pipes could cause heat issues to the drive shaft rubber boots.

Chuck, By drive boots you mean the rubber cv boots, right? Haven't heard this before. Do the deletes take a different path closer to the boots? Do they get hotter than the secondary cats?
Old 04-09-2016, 07:14 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
Chuck, By drive boots you mean the rubber cv boots, right? Haven't heard this before. Do the deletes take a different path closer to the boots? Do they get hotter than the secondary cats?
I got this information from Steve Tinker that seems to know what he is talking about. Below is a link to his posting on the topic.

http://986forum.com/forums/444517-post14.html

His post is a result of a thread I had started regarding my installation of the cat delete pipes;

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/56660-added-secondary-cat-delete-pipes-topspeed.html

Old 04-09-2016, 07:22 AM   #38

Thanks Chuck!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #39

They all drone at some level. The Fabspeed is best as you say. It delivers some additional performance. That being said, your best bet is to keep your stock exhaust and invest in a new intake. After market intakes deliver a beautiful sound that
Makes it really hard to keep your foot off the accelerator just to get the rush of sound right behind your ears. I wish i had not put the fabspeed exhaust on my car. I had the intake first.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #40

When i said performance increase i should have qualified that by saying only if you invest in the complete replacement, headers, cats and all. The cat back won't give you anything extra but noise