Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #1

squeak sound

Anyone else have a squeak sound when driving on rough roads. All roads I drive on feel rough. But I have a costatnt tweety brid squeak. Any ideas?

Shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
A bit more info, please.
How many miles?
Any suspension work done at all?
Any engine work done?
Where's the noise coming from; front, back or one particular side?
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
A bit more info, please.
How many miles?
Any suspension work done at all?
Any engine work done?
Where's the noise coming from; front, back or one particular side?
15,000 miles, all stock, new tires no suspension work. It's really hard to identify where the sound is coming from. It's on when I go over bumps, top up or down.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #4

If all of you suspension bushings, motor mounts, etc are good and there are no mechanical issues causing the squeak, you may want to apply some Gummi Pflege to all of your weather stripping - frunk and trunk lids, clamshell, convertible top windshield header and doors. Gummi Plege is available from Amazon, Autogeek, and other auto detailing suppliers. Even though the Boxster was designed as a convertible an open top car is generally more flexible than a closed top car, when the unit body flexes a little over the bumps, something rubs a little bit and causes a squeak. You can also step on the gas or turn up the radio, or both!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
If all of you suspension bushings, motor mounts, etc are good and there are no mechanical issues causing the squeak, you may want to apply some Gummi Pflege to all of your weather stripping - frunk and trunk lids, clamshell, convertible top windshield header and doors. Gummi Plege is available from Amazon, Autogeek, and other auto detailing suppliers. Even though the Boxster was designed as a convertible an open top car is generally more flexible than a closed top car, when the unit body flexes a little over the bumps, something rubs a little bit and causes a squeak. You can also step on the gas or turn up the radio, or both!
Here is something to consider. The dealership locked to key onside the car. They had one heck of a time getting the key from what I understand. They made the comment they had to take the rear bumper off and something else to get inside. The sound to me is like a body panel squeak. What do you think?
Old 04-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #6

Try pushing down on the car over the wheel - do this for every wheel and see if you can replicate the sound - that might at least narrow down where the sound is coming from.
What year is your car? KM's are low (miles) but age can dry out suspension parts - something might just need some lubrication?
Old 04-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Try pushing down on the car over the wheel - do this for every wheel and see if you can replicate the sound - that might at least narrow down where the sound is coming from.
What year is your car? KM's are low (miles) but age can dry out suspension parts - something might just need some lubrication?
It's a 2006. I'm try, pushing down on each wheel.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Have noticed that when I step on the gas and turn up the radio the sound goes away. It's a Miracle!!!
Old 04-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #9
I am my own mechanic....

Sway bar bushings or drop links.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Sway bar bushings or drop links.
Do they normally need replaced?
Old 04-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #11

Also I went around the car and pushed on each side front and back and it makes no sound. To me it sounds more like plastic rubbing.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:15 PM   #12
Master Brewer

Garage
2X the Gummi Pflege, I had a similar sqeek that I solved by treating the rubber.
2004 Ford F-150 4X4 Crew
6 Fast Bicycles
Bootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #13
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Do they normally need replaced?
Old 04-05-2016, 03:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Hey kool-aid!!!
Old 04-05-2016, 03:34 AM   #15

to find squeaks I have also asked a friend to stand inside both trunks and jump up and down while I go around the car and listen for the sound.

This seems to be a lot better for the car compared to potentially bending metal pushing down on fenders and quarter panels and your friend can get a lot more suspension travel out of moving up and down in the trunks.by

BTW, I do this in my garage where grabbing on to a rafter is available for stabilization.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:49 AM   #16
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
to find squeaks I have also asked a friend to stand inside both trunks and jump up and down while I go around the car and listen for the sound.

This seems to be a lot better for the car compared to potentially bending metal pushing down on fenders and quarter panels and your friend can get a lot more suspension travel out of moving up and down in the trunks.by

BTW, I do this in my garage where grabbing on to a rafter is available for stabilization.
I use my fist to pound in the trunk for heat shield rattles. Makes them act up every time.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:08 AM   #17

I used gummi phlege for the first time last weekend, treating the rubber and a few plastic components, and it seems as soon as it rained, away ran the gummi phlege. (In other words, it seemed like water soluble stuff.) the water also carried a bit of a film where it drained. I had a similar experience with 303 aerospace protectant, carrying a similar looking film when water hit it. Do you guys who use it notice the same?

I suppose gummi-phlege and 303 could be long-lasting in spots that don't get wet (like inner door seals maybe) or perhaps in climates where it doesn't rain? I'm wondering how people use these products.

If you wanted really long-lasting de-squeaking action, get some PFPE grease or oil (DuPont krytox) and smear just a tiny film over your squeaking rubber. It's good stuff - just very expensive and doesn't have the UV inhibitors like gummi phlege and 303. At least it will *not* wash off with water like 303 and gummi phlege seem to.

Last edited by jakeru; 04-05-2016 at 09:11 AM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
I used gummi phlege for the first time last weekend, treating the rubber and a few plastic components, and it seems as soon as it rained, away ran the gummi phlege. (In other words, it seemed like water soluble stuff.) the water also carried a bit of a film where it drained. I had a similar experience with 303 aerospace protectant, carrying a similar looking film when water hit it. Do you guys who use it notice the same?

I suppose gummi-phlege and 303 could be long-lasting in spots that don't get wet (like inner door seals maybe) or perhaps in climates where it doesn't rain? I'm wondering how people use these products.

If you wanted really long-lasting de-squeaking action, get some PFPE grease or oil (DuPont krytox) and smear just a tiny film over your squeaking rubber. It's good stuff - just very expensive and doesn't have the UV inhibitors like gummi phlege and 303. At least it will *not* wash off with water like 303 and gummi phlege seem to.
Good to know. I'm going to have my suspension checked to see if I have a problem there first.