Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #1

Simple exhaust question

2000 Boxster base
I had my top speed cat delete pipes with the top speed muffler and it all fitted nicely.

Went with a Fister exhaust and my first attempt to mate it with the cat delete pipes was a fail. Exhaust leaks galore.
For those unfamiliar with the fister it's basically my original stock muffler modified, but the fitting part is not touched.

I'm fairly sure I'm doing something wrong because they should mate just fine right?

With the top speed the pipe and the "extension" would be pushed together all the way. With the fister I found i had to "stretch" the two pieces to get the pipes to reach the U pipe.

Help me out people, I am doing something wrong right?

Gonna have another go at it tomorrow and hoping to hear some advices or experience.

Thanks in advance.

Cristian

CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:11 AM   #2

Garage
No experience with your Fister exhaust but I do know it takes a lot of fiddling to get everything lined up. My guess is you just have to spend some more quality time underneath your car today
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:18 AM   #3

remember, fister is just my stock exhaust with bypass pipes so it's really all stock in terms of fitting.
but yeah i'm gonna have to work on it more to get it to fit right.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #4

Even with all stock parts it takes some fiddling around to get secondary cats, elbows and the muffler together and have the tips centered.

It's wax on, wax off. You'll get it eventually
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:47 PM   #5

it was more than that it seems. with the untouched stock muffler the U pipes (elbows) go in quite a lot. with the Fister they only go in about an inch and a half because of the bypass pipes.

once i figured that out i cut a piece of the U pipes and by doing that i brought the U pipes closer to the cat delete pipes. SUCCESS!!!
everything fit perfectly and went in easy enough but ONLY because of cutting the U pipes. ZERO exhaust leaks!

oh man the sound is GLORIOUS!! raspy and grown up, zero drone, crackles and pops.. all that and a bag of chips!

the top speed always sounded a bit aftermarket. with the Fister i got that Porsche sound back. it was surely worth the trouble! its just as loud as i want it to be and i hear thats because of the cat delete pipes. if you have all 4 cats it wont be as loud.

Last edited by CrisZenithBlue; 04-02-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #6

Garage
Glad to hear you got it sorted out! I have given some consideration to doing what some others have done, take the stock muffler and make my own sport exhaust and combine that with the cat delete pipes already installed. I still have my OEM exhaust sitting in the garage so it is just a matter of finding a fabricator and giving it a go. Maybe sometime this year.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote